Random Thread

The PITA of those streams are that you have to have a large data allowance to receive it and well if you are not using an Oz IP, bad luck.

Thoughts appreciated.

2 Likes

ANGERY

Already tired of it getting reposted over and over on tumblr.

Does anyone here have a bidet? I’m looking for reviews. Seems like a really good idea, what with not needing toilet paper and everything. I’m tossing up between buying a cold water one for $25 or a luxurious warm water one for $50 - both attach to the underside of an existing toilet seat.

Now there’s a name that hasn’t been heard all that much of in recent years, even though it was constantly in the Sydney (and to some extent, national) media for a while. She must be about 16 now!

From what I remember, both Sophie and her mum seemed like nice enough people when I had the opportunity of meeting them around 2009.

And aside from being the face of the “Day of Difference” charity (I think that was the name of it anyway) they set up, wasn’t her dad an MP or something for a while? My memory is a little faded on that one.

Her father ran as an independent in the Manly By-Election this year, he won 5.5% of the vote

1 Like

Not sure where else to post this; an interesting piece from Crikey about what is and isn’t labelled terrorism:

I’m not sure if this recent attack should be labelled that way, but the writer is correct that the media didn’t wait for other attacks, so what constitutes terrorism?
If it’s engendering terror through violence for a political end, then wouldn’t that fit one of these neo-Nazis attacking people protesting against them?

1 Like

There was a story in the news yesterday about a prominent cyclist who died.

The thing that perked up my ears was the fact that the story never mentioned that they had committed suicide (it was just ‘they died’), but right at the end of the story the presenter said"…and if you need help, call Lifeline on 131114…"

If they’ve gone out of their way to keep the fact that the person committed suicide hush-hush, then why would they need that advisory at the end of the story?

No one who is thinking of committing suicide (and would have their urges triggered by such a story) would know that the person killed themselves until they flash that graphic on screen and read the number out.

2 Likes

The general trend seems to now be that when they don’t disclose a cause of death, or anything about the circumstances surrounding the death (e.g. “a report will be prepared for the coroner”/“police are investigating foul play”), the Lifeline message will play at the end.

Remember that rugby player who died earlier this year? As I recall it took several weeks for it to be confirmed that he had committed suicide.

2 Likes

I noted the relatively young age of the cyclist when I read the report yesterday and had to re-read it because I thought I’d missed the cause of death. I assumed it was a cycling accident. It wasn’t until I saw the 131114 Lifeline number at the bottom that it clicked. I always feel a little distressed when I see such reports. Too many of us can relate to having felt that sense of desperation at some point in our lives.

4 Likes

O-o

Screenshot_6

4 Likes

I believe it stems from a case a few years back on a death which was reported as suicide. The family objected to the way it was reported my the media, particularly the wild speculation regarding the reasons which turned out were all incorrect. So they tread carefully now until the case has been properly investigated.

1 Like
2 Likes

A few dodgy Laserdisc karaoke vids from the early 1990s by an Aussie production company are in this vid (the ones with italics lyrics on the screen). Pretty interesting to watch!

Nice, the Oddity Archive are great videos!

Some more dodgy karaoke:

This was shot in Westfield Miranda:

Just…awful!

9TheFix certainly has an interesting “broken page” card…

2 Likes
3 Likes

Gotta love technology sometimes.
Recorded both 9 News and 7 News Townsville tonight to do some montages.

Checked the files after they were finished and the 7 News recording randomly had no audio, and the 9 News recording files were corrupt :roll_eyes:

Such a pity as there was quite a funny moment on 9 News that I was hoping to upload!

1 Like