Random Radio

2UE - “Channel 95”

1 Like

And 2CS for about a decade was Stereo 64, 2CS (639 kHz)

1 Like

It was about late June 1988 when they became ‘Lite and Easy’ 1008, they continued with this call sign until November 1989 ,then they returned to their original call sign of 4IP .

1 Like

2GB used to call itself “87 2GB” (or was it “2GB 87”?)

2 Likes

I think it was 2GB News Talk 87.

I used to have one of their stickers in the early 80s, it was predominantly red.

2GBNewsTalk87

Although by the Early '90s (probably when they were transitioning to the first version of the current 2GB logo?), there was a variant of the logo which included the full 873 frequency:

2GBNewsTalk873

1 Like

I recall both - 87-2BG and 2GB-NewsTalk-87

And when the network management arrived in Canberra early on and asked a taxi driver to tune to FM 104, he didn’t know where it was. The .7 was quickly added.

@Brianc68
Would love to know what the history was in choosing Mix 93 to launch with. Had Sea FM Ltd bought the station at the time of conversion? Curious as to who consulted to them regarding the conversion.

2 Likes

Haha I came across this when I was over in Cooma their SBS 106.5 was broadcasting this.

1 Like

Glad to see we have the PM on MediaSpy ;). Yes, Cooma’s (council-owned) SBS has been running the VAST loop for about a year at least. It’s more prevalent across regional Queensland; a few notional SBS transmitters are relaying One TV, too. 92.5 MHz Batlow has been doing so for at least a couple of years and had the VAST loop on before that.

2 Likes

Looks like the K & J show is not popular on Mixx1077.

Click on the link and go down to the post made by Ratty

3 Likes

Hilarious.

The locals went to town on Mixx 107.7.

Who is Len pushing the company line? What an unenviable job.

He claims their programming is what people want. I wonder where their focus group was? Melbourne?

It’s quite possible that K&J might be #1 in Sydney but not popular in Swan Hill. Different audience, different lifestyle, different wants and needs. Len is misguided in extrapolating popularity.

3 Likes

Exactly crankmedia. This is why radio in regional areas are so poor in Australia. All these people like Len, their programmers, researchers and consultant are sitting in their offices in Melbourne, Sydney and the Gold Coast and are only researching the listening habits of those cities.

I remember reading something on Facebook about a regional radio station playing the same songs every 2 to 3 hours because that is what the listeners want. Just about everyone who liked that Facebook page went to town on that radio station, the post was soon deleted.

One thing that these programmers and consultant in the bigger cities that don’t understand is most people in smaller regional area’s like Swan Hill, they only have two commercial radio stations. (You have one playing a tight rotation of contemporary hit music and one having an Talkback format.) Country people listening habits are difference, most people are listening to the radio longer ( Up to 8 + hours straight, like at work places, sitting on the tractor, driving long distances to get to places) Take this from experience.

3 Likes

You are so right. I remember driving up the coast of California a couple of years ago. As soon as you got out of the big cities the main FM format in the smaller towns seemed to be stations playing a mix of old and new. Kind of Hot AC I guess but throwing in some real classic hits (eg Fleetwood Mac). Seemed a bit odd at first but it worked for those small markets with only a couple of stations.

4 Likes

hemi340, have you read this? I came across this the other day.

PS… Read all the comments.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/638545186260662/?multi_permalinks=1328890267226147&notif_t=like&notif_id=1501757284251425

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy: Yes I have mate.

1 Like

As I said a while ago…It has got me stuff how the Program Director still has a job their.

1 Like

There are podcasts of this show on this link:

To me, they don’t seem true podcasts as there doesn’t seem to be an easy way to download them, only stream.

Looking at the source code and I’m stumped too. How do you find the actual files to save and download?

Not that it’s linked anywhere, but: https://omny.fm/shows/triple-m-night-shift.

Quick tip: all the SCA podcasts are hosted using Omny Studio, so if you’re ever looking for something in particular, drop [show name] site:omny.fm into Google and you should find it!

3 Likes

The current format of the Victorian number plates (1AA-1AA) provides an opportunity for both old and current AM radio station call signs to be printed.

Here’s a few I’ve found. Hope the rest of the Media Spy community can find some of the more elusive ones (I’m yet to see a 3AW, 2GB or 2UE for example).

8HA 900 - Alice Springs

Fiveaa 1395 - Adelaide

3XY 1422 - Melbourne (current and old!)

5 Likes