Random Radio

Or wait at least 6 months til it’s a Nova fresh hit…

1 Like

The best thing about listening to Triple J,no annoying ads,the music isn’t all bad,I can put up with it for a week

4 Likes

unless it is tuned to a station you don’t like! Nova, hit(insert frequency), Triple M, KIIS and Smooth are the most common radio stations you would hear at a workplace.

KIIS & Smooth are only available in Sydney & Melbourne, at least on the FM band. Mind you, Brisbane & Adelaide does have a KIIS network station with 97.3FM & Mix 102.3 respectively, whilst Smooth is only available on DAB+ in Brisbane, Adelaide & Perth. Perth does also a KIIS network station with 96fm, but it’s more of a cross of Pure Gold & KIIS, musically.

1 Like

although the Brisbane and Adelaide stations are musically more like the previous Melbourne/Sydney MIX stations than the current KIIS format. And Smooth is on DAB+ in Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth.

1 Like

We have Coast NZ thru our background music feature on out desk phones. Someone found the wifi password at work and bought along an old iPod they weren’t using and plugged it into the PABX :+1:

1 Like

I listened to Star 104.5 for a little bit last night; is it just me, or are some of the songs sped up a little? That’s one thing that really irks me; 2DAY FM used to do it in the 90s and it was a common practice on US Top 40 radio in the 80s.

1 Like

RadioApp is now available on Apple CarPlay & Android Auto.

More: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/radioapp-now-apple-carplay-and-android-auto

2 Likes

Probably, there’s a school of thought it keeps the audience listening longer, fits more songs in to suit programming tactics and so on.

Why don’t you email them with your feedback? They might ease off the pitch a touch.

I would rather hear eg. 11 good songs properly rather than 12 songs sped up (per hour).

If they insist on 12 songs, I would rather they cut them a bit short than speed them up.

1 Like

Aren’t they remixes rather than just sped up?

I’ve not long returned from a few days up in Townsville but I didn’t listen to any radio while I was there apart from ABC local.No matter where you travel to in Australia these days all FM stations sound exactly the same. :confused:I miss the 'good old days ’ of radio,each radio station wherever you went was live and local,not any more

5 Likes

I agree with you. I used to love driving holidays but now I use the iPhone to play music in the car when I travel. There are still a few live and local stations (that aren’t called Hit, Triple M or have a big blue “H” as a logo).

Here are a few that I can think of:

• i98 in Wollongong
  • Wave in Wollongong
  • Hot Tomato on the Gold Coast.

Can anyone think of others?

On another note - is WaveFM in Wollongong the only station in Australian history that moved to FM and lost its dominance in a market? 2WL was No.1 for what seemed like forever and 2OO was a poor No.2 in the Illawarra.

They both switch to FM and 2OO becomes i98 and leaves the now former 2WL (now WaveFM) for dead. The punters did not switch from AM 1314 to 96.5.

I know that Gold FM on the Gold Coast is losing relevance (compared to when it was 4GG) but this is a more recent phenomenon. 2WL switched to FM and the audience left them.

1 Like
  • C91.3 in Campbelltown
  • Star 104.5 on the Central Coast
  • 2CA in Canberra
  • Bay 93.9 in Geelong
  • K-Rock in Geelong
  • 3GG in Gippsland/Latrobe Valley
  • 102.1 The Edge in Wangaratta
  • 102.5 The Edge in Deniliquin
  • River 94.9 in Ipswich
  • Power 100 in Townsville
  • 7HO FM in Hobart
  • LAFM in Launceston
  • Coast FM in Mandurah
  • 6MM in Mandurah
  • Mix 104.9 in Darwin
3 Likes

Gina Hogan, GM of SCA’s Cairns and Tablelands stations, is the new GM of Mix 94.5 and Hit 92.9. Hogan will relocate to the West Australian capital ahead of the July 17 start date

1 Like

Edge fm 102.1 & 102.5

and KRock

Nope. Adelaide’s 5DN went from being a top rating AM station to a dud FM station… at a time when nobody on FM could fail. But they did.

I think 7HO in Hobart might have been similiar. An absolute winner on AM but never quite the same when it went to FM.

3KZ was a consistent #2 or #3 in Melbourne on AM. It had a quick spike when it went to FM but then the ratings dived and it was soon in receivership.

2 Likes

Quite a big jump. Wayman was a local too.

And to @nickatnights , another one that springs to mind is 6PM Perth.

They were quite strong on 990AM (being the closest thing Perth had to a 2SM or 3XY), but in more recent years have floundered somewhat as hit92.9, regularly beaten by MIX94.5 and also NOVA93.7.

Though I think they were still doing pretty well in the early days on FM as PMFM.

1 Like