Random Radio

1SM for Canberra? Well they did use that callsign on DAB+ for a while, for an old time music format I think.

3 Likes

IMO 1SM and Zoo Soft Rock are still my favourite DAB+ stations of all time.

1 Like

Thatā€™s right. Ironically it was launched just after EON bought 2CH from Macquarie Radio at the start of 2017.

1 Like

The problem is Zoo is only on during the day. It must be on a schedule to only run during the workday. I guess this is better than it used to be when it wasnā€™t on air for over a year. Fun and Gorilla are back on full-time, however, which is good.

2 Likes

A part time radio station? Thatā€™s a throw back to 1960s ā€¦ as most radio stations had gone 24/7 by thenā€¦

I wonder if Zoo has a close down message!

3 Likes

Zoo Soft Rock is news to me as they were always a bit of a mish mash (similar to the Supernetwork FMs). I havenā€™t been in Shitney for a while though, so am out of the loop re the DAB scene there.

The DAB scene here in Canberra is just like its weather (usually partly cloudy) and politics (usually left leaning): it rarely changes. I wish theyā€™d do something with that ā€˜Testā€™ channel for goodness sake. Maybe 2BRW could get on there; that would set a cat amongst a few pigeons :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well if outlets like Eastside Radio (2RES 89.7 at Waverley) can get on Sydney DAB+ who knows!

Heck, even JOY FM from Melbourne was on Sydney DAB for a little while too.

4 Likes

Yes I forget about them; I am not sure how they get away with it given that the FM signal is licensed to cover the eastern suburbs only. It is a unique format (jazz/funk/soul) that isnā€™t really covered elsewhere so good luck to them.

And not forgetting about Snow Digital either, also on DAB outside of its licence area.

3 Likes

Sorry for the double post, but I came across an old post re. Zoo Soft Rock and it claimed that Zoo launched with this format. Itā€™s always been Zoo Super Digi to my ears? I had a habit of sampling anything new on DAB when I lived in Sydney.

3 Likes

What Strange Times we live in now, when a Classic Hits station can play a current No.1 chart song & a CHR station can play a Classic Hit & both get away with it.

Guess it also means the Top 40 Music Charts are somewhat meaningless now too.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-61797012

3 Likes

I decided to tune in, didnā€™t hear a call sign yet. So far they have played.

Your Woman by White Town
Get Over You by Sophie Ellis-Bextor.
Photograph by Nickelback
What Makes You Beautiful by One Direction
Donā€™t Give Up by Chicane Feat. Bryan Adams

Itā€™s a more of a retro hits format without the 80s.

1 Like

Itā€™s more, playlist hasnā€™t been updated since it launched and so its be come retro over time of neglect.

5 Likes

Agree, and theyā€™ll probably play exactly the same songs in the same order about this time tomorrow too. As i understand itā€™s largely a playlist on loop?

2 Likes

Fun is similar, what a wasteā€¦ it is unfortunate aspects of radio these days. There is no real oversight on content or governance on content. Its looks like the care factor is low.

3 Likes

Shame its a log that looks like it has much potential. But only if programmed correctly, I dont think BOG can do that or have the manpower to do that

3 Likes

Yeah I am think this sounds overly simplistic but why not say to one of BOG staff, you program the channel just as your jukebox in your own time. Perhaps that means doing something for nothing, it isnā€™t community radio I suppose :slight_smile: .

He used to be an on-air announcer on 2GO/Triple M Central Coast & 2WS/WSFM. He has also done voiceover work, notably on stations such as 2GO, and more recently on C91.3 & Coast FM 96.3.

5 Likes

Calling all Wollongong radio nerds: has anyone got clips of the following local radio ads from the 90s?

• John Condon Bathroom Renovations (617954! Yes, they still have the same number, albeit with a 42 at the start).

• Glenn Fulton Holden (come to Kiamaā€¦come to Glenn Fulton Holden!)

• Bosco Accounting (itā€™s tax timeā€¦time to see Bosco!)

And the ultimate classic: Computertown Australia at Windang road ah Windang. Nobody has uploaded the full jingle yet! (Come on now, donā€™t delay, because youā€™ll like it and want to stayā€¦)

I donā€™t think anyone would have these but it would be nice to hear them again!

4 Likes

I think he was on Coast Rock FM 101.3. Rest In peace. Too many radio djs going of late.

1 Like

Itā€™s certainly been the year for celebrities to dieā€¦ too many vaccines or just bad timing? Goodness only knows.