Random Radio

:joy: i read about that :v:

2 Likes

Generic and on the script, is the term one would think :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Has anyone else noticed that 2ST on 102.9 is back to normal strength again?

Driving around my local area it is back to previous strength, and is now stronger then Highlands fm. It has even reappeared on my hifi with the dx setup, in hissy noisy stereo.
No more Triple M Newcastle.

4 Likes

Yes, I can receive it again quite OK on my ‘non-DX’ Sony DAB+/FM bedroom radio at my home just north of Campbelltown. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

2ST 102.9 noted with RDS on the car radio at Wa(r)mboin*** west of Bungendore, so yeah it’s probably back to normal strength.

***Due to the lack of frost at this exposed location.

3 Likes

Just spotted your post @Ant5476 & just checked. Seams still (or reverted back to) weak signal strength… :no_mouth:

2 Likes

Signal strength the same here, hissy noisy stereo on my hifi with the dx setup.

2 Likes

I am in Sydney tonight and near Roseville i got it with RDS including song info, the car radio’s seek tuning picked it up.

4 Likes

That is pretty impressive and so close to Artarmon too. From my travels around Sydney Dural and parts of Glenhaven seems to have the best reception, with 102.9 2ST being received with the full RDS decode.
As you descend down the hill into North Kelyville the signal weakens significantly.

2 Likes

I am getting it around Thornleigh and Pennant Hills. It does get interference from Triple M (102.9FM). No doubt there would be good reception at West Pennant Hills.

2 Likes

Even at Berowra it is a 50-50 split between 2ST and Triple M Newcastle. North facing LOS Triple M, South facing LOS 2ST.

Glenhaven Rd Glenhaven near Flower Power, 2ST is strong with full RDS decode.

2 Likes

Reading this, guess 2ST’s coverage area goes all the way to the Hawksbury River in the North, Blue Mountains or around Lithgow way in the North West, South to around Cooma in a few elevated parts as well. I wonder if it can be picked up around Bathurst in a few parts like how in a few parts of Bowral but not at my house, I could pick up 2BS, B-Rock and 2KY outlets from there.

2 Likes

From what I have found with 2ST reception the reception is generally pretty good down to around Campbelltown and it then extends down to around Liverpool. When I lived at Oatley reception was very poor to non existent, this was generally typical for coastal areas of Sydney.

Good reception at Horsley Park near the SWR tower, but then again fair to patchy in western Sydney. It is not until you get to Dural / Glenhaven where the best reception is, as you head north to Galston / Hornsby / Berowra the signal starts to weaken and it becomes a battle with Triple M Newcastle.

Basically anywhere on the upper north shore and Hills Districts which has LOS to the south will get 2ST and if there is LOS to the north Triple M.

Blue Mountains should also be good for 2ST reception, but up around Mt Tomah to Bell Newcastle is quite strong up there so there would be significant CCI.

2 Likes

I could pick it up in hissy stereo with a portable from Oatley; I think I was in a better location than you to the SW, though. On the Yagi it was a perfect signal.

2ST 102.9 still an easy RDS grab from the Lake George Escarpment. Reception in town is pretty much non-existent. Also 2WKT is strong up there since Tuggeranong 107.1 can be nulled. I generally only hear 107.1 Coonabarabran on the Yagi, so 2WKT must be vertical.

2 Likes

You were in a better spot then I was for southerly signals. What made 2ST reception so difficult for me back then was, being on the northern side of Oatley, and using an old Hills PF17 antenna pointing towards Artarmon it picked up KO fm instead of 2ST. It actually picked up ABC fm and Triple J from Newcastle better then it did from Knights Hill. There was no amplifier attached.

I could not pick up 2ST on a portable, but it was receivable on the car stereo, 2WKT was also received quite weak as well.

Back in the early 90’s in Oatley I almost had permanent reception of Kix 106 Canberra on the car radio., and receivable on a portable with AS, and tropo.
At the top of Hillcrest Ave at Hurstville it was a permanent signal on the car radio. Mix 106.5 put an end to this. I wonder if the Canberra commercial fm’s were at a higher power back then?

2WKT does broadcasts from a vertical antenna on the Gib which makes it so difficult to receive on my fm omni antenna.

3 Likes

Would have loved to have been DXing with a Yagi in the 90s. Even from Oatley you would have had some great catches like Sun FM Shepparton on 96.9. I actually remember trying (in vain) for this on my boombox before Nova started. Bendigo 91.1 and 91.9 could be heard every day via As, so Shep would have made it in. I never received Shep but did hear 103.3 Albury under heavy 103.2 splat. Swan Hill was received once or twice.

It’s a great LOS from Hillcrest Ave so I’m not surprised you had Kix there. Canberra was pretty much there all the time on the Yagi but really not a lot stronger than you describe, so I do wonder if they were running a bit more juice back then.

1 Like

The flip side is that we didn’t have DSP receivers then to greatly reduce splatter issues.

2 Likes

Belmont Shopping Village,(in Brisbane’s eastern suburbs)where I go to see my GP,always has 97.3FM on their PA system and has done so for years
One section at work,they were listening to tunes from someone’s Bluetooth speaker,now they have a radio on Triple M all day.
I would go nuts if I had to listen to any commercial FM station all day now

3 Likes

One day I might bring my small portable DAB radio to work again and listen to 4BH on DAB ,no use listening to 4KQ as they will soon be SEN radio :confused:

3 Likes

I remember in the 90s I got 106.3 FM from North Rocks in a Corolla stereo, probably 1993. I think it was before MIX 106.5 came on air.

2 Likes