Random Radio

Just don’t google Teenies. Lots of “Not Safe For Work” searches found. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

The 10’s?

Wikki starts its article on 1910:

The 1910s (pronounced “nineteen-tens”, also abbreviated as the “teens”) was a decade…

3 Likes

The 80s and WSFM both playing the same song at the same time right now

Underneath The Radar - Underworld

Yet they are both run by ARN.

2 Likes

Since slogans are the talk of the town over in the history thread, I thought I’d share a couple of fakes that I made up years ago:

“Sumo FM: The Phattest Mix Of Music”- Sumo FM is what I would call my LPON- if I had one.
“Dead Cow FM: Putting The “Moo” in Moo-Sic”- this one was for my iTrip station.

:laughing:

1 Like

Interested to know, how far out of Bathurst along the Mid Western Highway to Cowra is 99.3 B Rock FM receivable? Or 2BS for that matter?

I see Blayney, less than 40km out of Bathurst has a translator for 2BS but surely this is more for night coverage with the null towards Melbourne?

1 Like

Can’t help you exactly, but I managed to grab a scratchy but listenable signal of 99.3 while driving through Parkes the other week. Was surprised to pick it up so far west. I didn’t think to check 2BS though

1 Like

B-Rock gets in fine in the elevated area around Young, which is well beyond Cowra. In Cowra itself there’s the Roccy FM translator on 99.5 which would impact on reception there a little. I don’t have much experience travelling the road between Young and Bathurst, though.

2 Likes

I was up that way a few months ago and by memory I had lost reception by the time I got to Cowra. The antenna for my car isn’t great though so I’d expect better reception in other cars.

1 Like

I should mention that B-Rock transmits from Mt Ovens which is over 1200 m ASL- near the village of Yetholme on the map. Aside from the volcanic dome of Mt Canobolas (1395 m), there’s not any land that’s higher to the west or south-west; the coverage should be extensive.

The 2BS FM translators don’t go that far as they are lower powered, though I could have received the Sofala one from Mallacoota earlier in the year (Ray Hadley was on). Does anyone know if The River/ MMM Albury takes Ray Hadley? It could have been the translator at Omeo in that case.

1 Like

No, MMM Albury doesn’t take the program.

Thanks- so it must have been Sofala. And my reception was in March 2016-last year- where does the time go?

2 Likes

Thanks to you all for your great contribution.

Thanks, I gathered as the road is downhill overall towards Cowra that reception would fade out.

Fascinating, interesting area with the high points of elevation as to what is available, if only briefly, whilst driving.

Very interesting, how far do the Orange commercial FMs reach towards Parkes? I notice they’re at much lower power, specs as OD but antenna bolted on the Orange side of its tower.

I don’t know about Parkes, but the Orange Commercial Fm’s get into Dubbo quite well on my car radio. They are not good in Bathurst as Bathurst is down low and the signals are obstructed.

The most furthest east for reliable reception of the Orange commercials I have found is around Blackheath. I do get them in patches around Stanhope Gardens, and the Orange nationals are permanent reception on my home hifi.

2 Likes

I have noticed that too about the Orange signals into Dubbo.
Reception of the community stations like FM107.5 is also quite good in Dubbo.
And yes, its patchy in Bathurst, and pretty much non existent in Mudgee, but it’s fine in Parkes and Forbes.

1 Like

The coverage from Mt. Canobolas is, of course, massive. It’s an isolated 1395 m peak on the western edge of the Great Dividing Range, with elevation dropping off dramatically to the west. On rare occasions, Mt. Canobolas would probably get into Broken Hill and to the Queensland border north of Bourke.

1 Like

Again, my experience was just in the car but I could start listening to 105.1 MMM Orange from around West Wyalong or just outside. The signal got out a long way. The others are also correct that it delivers a good signal right through Parkes just about all the way to Dubbo. The ABCs get that bit further again - for the Js there wasn’t a lot of need to swap from 101.9 to 102.3 until you were north of Dubbo - though 102.3 goes much further south than that of course

That hasn’t been my experience … 102.3 JJJ starts to break up about 20 kms south of Dubbo and has virtually disappeared by Parkes.

Even the ACMA admits that the Cenn Crauich TX site for 102.3 etc doesn’t deliver an adequate signal into Dubbo and has set aside 96.7, 97.5, 98.3 and 99.1 for an additional repeater at Buninyong Hill near Dubbo for the remaining ABC services, as only 95.9 ABC Western Plains is currently on air from Buninyong (relaying 107.1 Cenn Crauich).

Hmm, interesting. Truth be told I wasn’t on it much south of Dubbo, I still had an Orange signal at that point.

The signal in Dubbo itself is ok in the car, but I can imagine it might be poor indoors etc. Though with Cenn Cruaich, Canobolas all with reception range it seems a waste to rebroadcast the ABC services again on yet another set of frequencies

However, I understand areas west and south do have issues, both with TV and radio (Narromine for instance is a town with only fringe reception). You’d then hope that these areas would be covered by any rebroadcast, but I don’t know if they are

This little chat got me thinking- what’s the longest you’ve driven without needing to change station on the FM band in normal conditions? I can go from home to the south side of Lake George near Canberra (just over 2.5 hrs, 230 km or so) listening to the cricket on 97.3 Illawarra. This could be extended a little further to just south of the Hawkesbury River bridge, before losing signal and/or being overtaken by Lake Macquarie FM.

I’m sure you’d easily surpass this effort somewhere in western NSW with Cenn Cruaich or Mt. Dowe. The drive from Willow Tree NSW through Quirindi, Gunnedah, Narrabri to Mungindi or Goondiwindi springs to mind, though I’ve never done it myself.