Random Radio

I agree about 4MMM. The only sensible thing to do with it would be to launch FM104 and go back to music.

3 Likes

I’m a bit of a poor sleeper, averaging around 5-6 hours max every night.

So I hear a lot of radio, especially during the witching hours for insomniacs - 1am to 3am.

Often it’s just ABC Local Sydney, unless I’m craving some tunes.

One of my favourites to listen to is Mandurah’s Wave. Upbeat, good pacing, clear messaging.

I’ve also been listening to 6IX Perth and XLFM Snowy Mountains.

Tonight I’ve decided it will be The Sound Auckland on Rova.

7 Likes

I’ve been listening to 3GG a lot lately, I believe its the same log as XLFM. I stream it at work quite a bit, they play songs you dont often here on other stations

3 Likes

Have you been stalking my streaming history :rofl::rofl:? The Sound, XLFM and Wave Mandurah are generally my go to stations depending on the mood I’m in.

The Sound had album sides on Thursdays which was a nice change :blush:

2 Likes

Has anyone ever notice with analog radios if you plug in the mains it affects the reception. Radios seems to perform better using batteries (especially newer ones). Where I live currently, listening to HHH FM with the power plugged in, the reception is poor, yet without batteries its ok. Its a Sangean DPR-45 , but happens with other radios too. Any of the stronger stations it makes no noticeable difference.

The obvious answer I guess the electricity interferes with the tuner.

1 Like

Just radios built with poorly insulated power supplies

3 Likes

Some radios supplement the whip antenna with the power cable.

2 Likes

It could possibly also be the electricity supply in your area?

2 Likes

My old Sangean PR-D3 used to do that. When I lived at uni I could get some DX reception on batteries but it all disappeared in noise when I plugged the AC cable in. Given the batteries last for ages it didn’t worry me too much but it does seem a design flaw.

3 Likes

I think most radios have the same issue. The standard figure 8 power cord radios when I was growing up etc. Seems on batteries its better for DXing those weak stations. its probably not a design flaw just the way it is.

2 Likes

i reached out to vision to suggest the app they have should have carplay capabilities (honestly, if you are a radio station that streams through an app and it doesn’t have android auto / carplay you need to fix this. this should be a high priority feature)

they said it’s coming in the next update

2 Likes

I didn’t think it was that simple to get an app included in Carplay or AA… I thought Apple and Google controlled which apps did, and it was severely restricted.

1 Like

they do restrict the apps that get carplay entitlement, without which you can’t publish a carplay compatible app, but they more control the types of apps. they don’t for example allow apps that distract the driver (such as VLC) but a simple audio player addition to an existing app would get this entitlemt fine as long as they meet the guidelines here

than its adding the carplay portion of the app, which honestly given most of it is API’s should not take ages

1 Like

I was just looking through some old AirCheck Airplay Charts. Wow, commercial stations are really getting some mileage out of that “Cold Heart” mashup!

It’s been the most played song nationwide since late September - in other words, for about two months.

3 Likes

I’ve heard a weird Makin Mattresses ad that appears to be a 1-minute jingle for the Bellissimo mattress a few times on Mix 106.3. Good luck if anyone wants to capture that.

1 Like

Country/easy listening song ad?

Yeah it’s here in Newcaslte too.

1 Like

Listening to the German station Antenne NRW I’ve discovered that it’s based on a song called “Summer Wine”. The song was originally sung by Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood in 1967 and Antenne NRW plays a 2007 cover by Finnish singer Vinnie Valo and German singer Natalia Avelon. As soon as it came on I thought “that’s the Makin Mattresses ad!”

1 Like

Sorry, that’s Ville Valo. Here’s their cover version.

Here’s the Nancy Sinatra original

1 Like

And he’s the Makin Matresses version.
Stream Makin Mattresses Bellissimo by Pes P | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

1 Like

A little quiz for you: What’s the connection between these two songs?

BrianC can’t answer as I told him the connection.

3 Likes