Random Radio

There have been some fairly “normal songs” which have been banned. The late Stuart Cranney might of done a classic nine at nine on this. I have vague memories he did.

wouldn’t be in the system to begin with anyway

Maybe the censorship happens “on the music server” for radio to play. Is the software you use the same as what is used with commercial radio?

Can people in radio bring their own CDs or records into a radio studio these days?

1 Like

I seem to remember @matt86 showing the SPL playlist for Awesome 80s a little while back. If so, then all the music to be played on Awesome 80s would be mp3s in a folder on their NAS or Studio computer and just randomly selected from.

2 Likes

@Laoma Yes SWR uses Station Playlist Studio for playout and Creator Pro for scheduling. Most new top 40 music is distributed to radio, inc. SWR by Play MPE who will provide a radio edit. In terms of censorship and what is and isn’t appropriate to play, that’s a decision for each individual station subject to the relevant Codes and BSA.
Yes, the access shows are able to bring their own CDs or laptops but generally these days they all pretty much upload their content to their personal folder on the server and use station playlist to play it out.

@NDY yes the music is stored on a server which is essentially a NAS box. The music files are mostly 320k mp3, (there are still some legacy 192k that are slowly being resourced) and are assorted by decade. The stuff actually on rotation is further broken up into categories, e.g. Top 40, 90s Rock etc etc. The playout machines themselves do store a small number of local back up tracks in the event there is a network or server error.

2 Likes

Sailing by Christopher Cross only made 46 in the Australian charts (according to the Kent Music Report). It was number one in the US Billboard chart in 1980. It is/was a radio favourite. Maybe don’t hear it as much these days.

3 Likes

A very similar setup here at 3mFM - StationPlaylist the backbone of what goes out to air with all our audio stored on a NAS. Music is sperated into decade, then male/female/group, then Australian/International. Our playout machines have hard drives in them large enough to contain mirrors of our NAS in case of a network problem.

I’m quite surprised SWR uses SPL Studio, it sounds way too polished for what Studio normally puts out. I’m also interested in how you guys got the now playing data working so well - It seems like Studio is forever putting out stupid garbage items like 10 second CSAs (which it shouldn’t be) and also creates and/or deletes random spaces in the data it puts out constantly. Even StationPlaylist themselves have no idea how to get decent output.

2 Likes

I wonder if 2CH uses that program as their ‘Now Playing’ data on Onlineradiobox is pretty strange. It mixes up advertisements with song titles, so you’ll often get something like:

The Beatles- Harvey Norman 1455 followed by
The Beatles- Paperback Writer

5 Likes

Nope - the voice tracks for 2CH in online radio box actually state they were produced with Zetta - a program which most commercials use from RCS.

3 Likes

Glad you like it :grinning: they certainly use SPL to its potential. For what SWR does Zetta would probably be more appropriate these days but there is a significant price difference and SPL is essentially good value for money.

@Alex_Agaciak set up the meta data output which is sent to the stream and RDS encoder (I’ll tell him to check Media Spy!). Make sure in SPL that the event types are set correctly - IE music files set as “category”, Sponsors set as “traffic” etc and that its set to only export music event data. Happy to continue that discussion over PM if you want more info to avoid going off topic here.

2CH moved over to Zetta last year sometime I think. As far as I’m aware, in Sydney anyway SCA, Nova Ent and Nine are on Zetta and ARN are still using NextGen?

3 Likes

Yep, none of the ARN markets are on Zetta to my knowledge

3 Likes

@NDY yeah it’s all about making sure you have your files categorised and set correctly. Happy to help with getting it set up over DM if you like.

5 Likes

I’ve dived through the IP Australia website before and stumbled upon some plenty of now-defunct trademarks, from radio shows that are no longer with us (RIP The Big Kahuna) to brands that never got off the ground. So, in keeping with the spirit of the thread, perhaps a look at what could have been:

• Plenty of names were considered for the launch of Nova 96.9 - some of those that made it to trademark stage include Spin, Omega, Chill, Pure and… Sirus?
  • DMG secured the first of two Melbourne FM commercial licences in 2001, but before 3YYR Geelong was reallocated further down the dial we could have ended up with Nova 91.5.
  • It seems obvious now that a Nova network was inevitable, but was it? Plenty of companies register trademarks as spoilers to throw off their competitors: in Melbourne we could have had Rock 100!
  • Perth was also a contender for Rock, or a challenger to Mix.
11 Likes

That challenger to MIX is certainly interesting. Looks as though it would have been a copy of 97.3 here in Brisbane.

3 Likes

Thanks for your searching @AustralianAerial, much appreciated.

I clicked on the entry for the 93.7 The 80’s 90’s and today, is my browser not displaying an image in the bottom right hand corner of any logo or is there not one?

1 Like

No logos for these - just the words/phrases were filed. I suspect most of these never had logos designed in the first place since they would essentially have been decoys.

If you do a search for DMG Radio you’ll dig up some extended sine-wave squiggle designs from the Vega launch if that takes your fancy :laughing:

On a more factual note, Dean Buchanan’s episode of the Game Changers: Radio podcast is well worth a listen if you’re curious about the development of what became Nova.

5 Likes

I think further compounded by ABC taking forever to shut down VHF Channel 3 in northern Tasmania, so 91.5 was not ready, although various community aspirants had been using 91.5 but perhaps not at full strength

4 Likes

That’s right, the auction was completed however the lack of willingness for the ABC to move Mt Barrow VHF 3 to UHF is what caused the move in the 12 mths following the auction.

Correct again, they were all well below the 56kW pattern afforded to permanent broadcasters.

3 Likes

Apparently, the ABC was broadcasting its Mt Barrow TV service on both VHF & UHF for a number of years before the former was switched off at the end of 2002. JJJ was broadcasting its Launceston service on 102.1 before it moved to 90.9 after the ABC had vacated VHF 3. The 102.1 frequency is now used by ABC Newsradio for its East Devonport service.

Also as a result of the above, Launceston didn’t get its commercial stations on FM until 2008, when 7LA converted to FM as LAFM. 7EX, which had broadcasted the TAB under a commercial licence, also converted to FM with the same format. After the TAB bought the 1008AM HPON licence, Grant bought the 90.1 licence & subsequently launched Chilli on 26th January 2011.

3 Likes

Yes I remember that, 7EX was considered a commercial station despite only broadcasting racing, with Launceston having only one broader-appeal commercial station. So both commercial services got FM conversions.

Fortunately sanity did prevail here and the racing station ended up back on the old AM frequency and Launceston gor a second music station on FM, as it should have.

3 Likes

Find some crazy stuff though.

2 Likes

A somewhat interesting tidbit from this era - SYN did a fair chunk of its test broadcasts on 94.9, while Joy was testing predominantly on 90.7. Wonder whether 94.9 was considered as a full-powered licence in lieu of 90.7, 91.5 etc. (despite only being spaced 0.6 MHz apart from 3CAT) before ABNT-3 was switched off

2 Likes