Random Radio

2RRR 88.5 FM seams to have an equipment issue.
Bandwidth is only ~50kHz & no stereo carrier.
Pity there’s no DX around atm.

2 Likes

Back to normal now.

3 Likes

https://youtu.be/K07t8DlhRbk Radio bandscan from my place because I can :grin:

5 Likes

I heard the Australia day ad again today on 2SM?

Today was meant to be a public holiday as well? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the band scan
Note Aussie 88FM (Hello Radio P/L) is o/c there in Moree.
Is Aussie 88FM still an operating business or on air anywhere still?
Their TXs in many places seam to be off air or o/c for years & years…

2 Likes

88 Was Western Visitor Radio (tourist info) made in Dubbo but it has been just carrier for a while now

4 Likes

CRA has released their annual listening summary, which you can read here.

3 Likes

It’s funny the figures were getting seriously questioned by quite a few radio industry people in the Facebook group yesterday about the accuracy of them.

Some were even jokingly suggesting instead of holding elections, just get GFK or Nielsen to survey about 1000 people & then chose the Government from the survey, because those 1000 surveyed people speak for & have the same thoughts, feeling, ideas & views of the country/world as the other few million people around the area do.

When the industry (non management) question the ratings, you’ve got to wonder why CRA keeps bragging about how many listeners Commercial Radio has, especially on DAB+ Digital radio, but hang on there’s an ulterior motive behind it isn’t there.

6 Likes

You’ll probably find the actual bean counters within the radio industry aren’t the ones questioning the figures!

2 Likes

Happy World Radio Day :cake:

6 Likes

Here’s a challenge, can someone figure out roughly how many songs WSFM play on a week day and then find the most common songs (equalling the average played per day found earlier) played and put in a Spotify playlist?

Then we can call have WSFM without the ads or talking. :rofl:

3 Likes

There are two options to start off.

Radio Volna: https://radiovolna.net/en/8888-ws-fm-1017-pure-gold.html
Lava: https://lava.net.au/stations/wsfm1017/log

3 Likes

It’s also news, traffic and weather I listen for.

Spotify is good sometimes, particularly if you want reasonably high quality music and/or music that isn’t often heard on radio.

2 Likes

I found this interesting. Magic is one of my main go to stations when in the UK.

5 Likes

Driving down the NSW South Coast, 2CA on AM was strong enough for my car radio to seek into south of around Nowra. ABC Canberra was even stronger. At the same time, the Canberra FM frequencies were mostly just static. I wonder how many people on the South Coast listen to the Canberra AM services.

5 Likes

88.9 2BRW Braidwood gets into Jervis Bay surprisingly well now; no doubt the frequency change and ERP increase helps. I’m not sure how well it gets to Batemans Bay and further south; the 94.5 service was weak to non-existent down there. How far down are you going @tvcl?

3 Likes

I got down to Moruya. I could get 88.9 at Batemans Bay, though it was somewhat patchy.

4 Likes

Is 2EAR on air from the Moruya studios? I could not hear them from Bungendore last week; I couldn’t even get 103.5 so obviously there are still issues up at Mount Wandera.

2 Likes

2EAR was on air. I could get it at Batemans Bay, but very weak/patchy for a local station.

Also, 101.9 (ABC Classic FM) was just open carrier. 103.5 was operating normally.

3 Likes

It’s a temporary setup on the roof of the Rose St studios I believe. Wouldn’t get out very far; the coverage would be similar to the Flea** powered TAB service on 98.5.

**Intentional. ('Flea’ from the RHCP owns a place at nearby Congo).

3 Likes