Random Radio

A lady I work with now listens to 4kq on her digital radio,I can’t hear her radio from where I am.
I might have to start using my digital radio at work too

2 Likes

Can’t get Breeze at work though,no reception :confused:

2 Likes

Yes- I know about this and would provide rimshot coverage into parts of Sydney. 89.5/91.1 could work. Yengo Mountain would do nicely, though I’m not sure if it’s accessible even by 4WD.

2 Likes

I wonder what the reception would be like on the central coast.

Probably not great, the terrain would null the signal quite a bit I reckon.

1 Like

It would be interesting to fiddle with coverage maps. But I agree Central coast coverage would be minimal with the exception of peats ridge. Thats a nice area for a drive and listen to the wireless if only The Oak ice cream place was still open. :smiley:

2 Likes

Ah the memories!

Before the freeway through Somersby was opened in 1987 (or thereabouts), there always used to be DOZENS of cars parked out the front of that place.

:smile:

2 Likes

Yes going on my holidays (my old grandparents had a place on the coast) with trusty old kmart cassette radio turning into the AM stations days. I am going back before New FM, & Coast Rock FM.

2 Likes

Yes, it was so much different then, with 2GO on 1323 being the only local station in the area and it’s signal struggling to be heard within its licence area, particularly to the north.

2 Likes

I don’t remember OAK at Peats Ridge but I often stopped in at the OAK milk bars at Freeman’s Waterhole and Hexham as a young lad on the way to/from Sawtell. This was in the early-mid 90s, so well after Peats was bypassed.

Rock on New FM as you were sipping your milkshake, and Rox FM further on. Those were the good old days.

5 Likes

Yes I did hear it from midway on. So that was the billybob power track?

1 Like

Indeed (I am known as Billy Bob on radio, and elsewhere).

3 Likes

I went for a drive down to the Central Coast today and suddenly decided to listen to. 100.5 2RPH which has a 4kw transmitter in Newcastle and a 1kw transmitter in East Sydney to see whether they are in sync and whether that kind of works as an SFN (even though it’s not meant to be one as there are some programming differences).

I just happened to be in the right location and time to test it as I was driving up to Killcare Heights at 1.55pm just near the end of shared programming, and there is a steep road up which strongly favours Newcastle and as you get over the crest it favours Sydney. The changes to and from the Newcastle/Sydney signals was near imperceptible, so it appears they are in sync.

On the way back down the same road after 2pm, when Newcastle had broken away to a Newcastle Herald read, the changes between the Newcastle and Sydney signals were obviously like night and day.

4 Likes

Great to hear, that’s exactly how good radio should be engineered.

2 Likes

I often hear the CCI noise from 2RPH Newcastle under 2RPH Kings Cross during tropo, but rarely do I get both at once. There is also some CCI noise from ABC NewsRadio Batemans Bay too of course.

1 Like

@WAtvVideos re your stay at a remote WA mining site, what were the local radio offerings like… any stations in stereo?

Spirit Radio and ABC Goldfields, both on FM, was all we could find. Pretty sure they were both stereo.

2 Likes

My local cafe has better signage and branding.

4 Likes

How many of the mediaspy folk still have a mobile phone with an old fashion fm radio?

My main htc u11 phone doesnt. I downloaded the nextradio apk file whilst it did detect I had an FM radio chip, it didnt work.

My dad inlaw gave me an old Samsung A7 it has one and its pretty good, I just broke my back up lg dab phone. :frowning: Though, in my view the Samsung FM radio sounds better than the LG FM radio but no dab radio.

It would be interesting if the new Samsung flagship phones have a hidden fm radio, or a phone like the Google pixel 3a has one.

Next radio app but wont work in Australia unless you download the apk. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nextradioapp.nextradio

2 Likes

I have a fairly recent Nokia 1 that has a built in FM radio that also has RDS.

It’s not bad, but reception is not as good as my other dedicated portable radios, which is not surprising.

I did have a non smart phone that had an FM radio, I might even still have it around somewhere.

3 Likes