Random Radio

Interesting!

Can’t see how they could afford to run that on 7,9 or 10, maybe it was on the old TVS!

2 Likes

TVS didn’t exist in the 1980s. Midnight-dawn ad slots might have been cheap enough

4 Likes

Only 9 broadcasted overnight back then. So it may not have been that cheap since they were the only station on air.

2 Likes

The amount of viewers at that time was still miniscule and ad slots would have been cheap even with Nine being the only one overnight, although Seven in Sydney was also overnight from 1985, and Ten were overnight on weekends from 1984, extending to 24/7 in 1987.

2 Likes

According to the notes on the video it was broadcast on 22 September 1986 on ATN7. So possibly overnights or during breakfast children’s program which would be relatively cheap for advertising.

Extra: A poster said it was broadcast on afternoon kids tv.

3 Likes

Could totally imagine something like that in the afternoons back then, anywhere between the midday movie and the news (which would’ve included the kids’ shows, would’ve been probably Wombat back then primarily) - there were a LOT more local ads back then in that timeslot, even in the early 90s… probably especially in the early 90s when they had to fall back on filling mid-afternoon slots with things like Perry Mason et al.

3 Likes

I remember the ad and it was only shown on Channel 7 during afternoons kids shows.

2 Likes

I am thinking of doing another ‘MediaSpy 5 by request’ feature on my show. This would be a one off and would air in the ‘Missing Six’ segment***. I did one ages ago on the Mechie Show. Not sure if anyone would be interested.

***The sixth song will be Queen- Flash Gordon Theme as this was the winner last time.

3 Likes
6 Likes

The Coodabeen Champions famous “Digger” talkback call before 1990 Grand Final is now up on my youtube.
Earlier in the show they announce he is gravely ill in hospital. He later calls in after comandeering an ambulance to make it to the MCG

5 Likes

Have located the entire 10mins ABC Radio news service prior to the 1990 Grand Final.
It includes world news and then local news

3 Likes

Getting dead air on 88.7 FM in Sydney.

4 Likes

Is 88.7FM, Radio Northern Beaches?

1 Like

Not sure because it could be from Camden. Was being received while driving along A1 then A3 from Sylvania.

3 Likes

I googled it, came up with Vintage FM.

1 Like

There’s two stations using 88.7 in Sydney.

One is Radio Northern Beaches at Bilgola Plateau. That has a weak signal to the south.

The other that @Petarkco heard dead air on is most likely Vintage FM from Camden. That has a reasonable signal on the south side of Sydney.

2 Likes

D-Generation Triple M commercial

2 Likes

Reminds me of the time I heard an unauthorised Triple M retransmission in Bairnsdale VIC on 104.9.

2 Likes

from Marc McCreadle:

1 Like

I have a random question. Are there many AM stations that converted to FM that still refer to their AM call sign?

In the capitals I can only think of WSFM and 7HOFM.

There must be a few regionals such as XLFM.

2 Likes