Random Radio

It’s ridiculous. If Adobe’s revenues decline sufficiently, hopefully them and others who have moved to subscription style licensing will get the message.

The latest Adelaide & Perth music crossovers has been released: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/adelaide-and-perth-radio-crossover-tracks-0

Station pairings:

Adelaide

• hit107 vs Nova 91.9
  • Mix 102.3 vs 5MMM

Perth

• hit92.9 vs Nova 93.7
  • 96fm vs hit92.9
  • Nova 93.7 vs Mix 94.5

If you ask me, it would make more sense to have Mix 94.5 compare with 96fm than with hit92.9.

4 Likes

Guys, I’d like suggestions for a new AM preset for the car, 954 Macquarie Sports Radio has to go.

Most of my time is spent Sydney, Central Coast, Newcastle.

In frequency order currently have, 873 (2GB), 954 (MSR), 981 (2NM), 1143 (2HD), 1170 (2CH), 1233 (2NC).

I do listen to 918 (2XL), 1368 (2GN) of an early morning/evening when traveling the highways when reception permits, but not enough for a preset.

I don’t listen to a lot of ABC, thus ABC Newcastle is enough, don’t need ABC Sydney. It might end up being 1269 (2SM), but then I don’t really want to double up with 2HD, which gets me from Newcastle into Sydney anyway.

When in Sydney my radio’s mostly on 2CH now, & I actually like listening to AM radio, it’s a shame there’s so much crap on AM these days & all the old AM frequencies have gone to HPON’s, I still think a good music station on AM could survive in Wollongong & Newcastle/Central Coast.

2 Likes

I agree. If you look at Brisbane for example, a market of over 2 million people, they have 4KQ, which maintains a Classic Hits format that its sister stations down south, WSFM & Gold 104.3, have moved away from a number of years ago to compete with Smooth, as well as with 2Day in the case of the former. 4KQ rates not far behind some of the commercial FM stations, which is incredible for an AM music station in the 3rd biggest radio market in Australia.

And yes, it would be nice to have a good music station on the AM band for Wollongong, Newcastle & Central Coast markets. The same applies for Hobart, where not any of its commercial FM stations really play any music earlier than the 80s.
Personally, I would listen to a commercial AM music station more than the local commercial FM stations, even though I’m only in my early 30’s, which is currently the case whenever I’m in Canberra, where I listen to 2CA.

I would suggest ABC Radio National (576). :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Given that he has 2GB as numero uno, I don’t think so (unless he’s listening to Jonesy for S&G like I do). NewsRadio is often better these days anyhow due to the ongoing ‘podcastification’ of RN.

I’d stick with 2XL myself; its skywave signal is more than decent particularly as we head into the cooler months. It wouldn’t mess up the preset order either :slight_smile:

1 Like

Somewhat continuing on the discussions above, these following posts were made in the “Grant Broadcasters” thread today:

On that last point bolded, it’s worth noting that there are two Triple M stations broadcasting on FM that carries the “Classic Hits” format: Mid North Coast & Fraser Coast.
In the case of the former, it does give listeners around Coffs Harbour & the northern end of the Kempsey licence area (Nambucca Heads, Macksville, South West Rocks etc.) a choice in music formats, in which the Coffs Coast’s Triple M carry the “Greatest Hits from the 70s to Now” format.

4 Likes

I thought I remembered hearing a different mix of music on Triple M Mid North Coast during a brief stopover there last year compared to what gets played on the likes of 2GO and KOFM. :slight_smile:

I only put another reply to this here, because I had both my Premium Sportsears and Degan DE215 and I had some issues receiving the combination Refs/TV signal of 77.4FM on both devices, and the refs on 70.2FM on the SportsEars. I suspect having another sports event, the Waratahs vs Lions match next door sharing both frequencies didn’t help! In fact, I went to the toilet in the lower level of the MA Noble Stand and it went from the AFL to the Waratahs clearly!

2 Likes

Welcome to the world of non conventional Radio Monitoring :upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

1 Like

[/quote]

On that last point bolded, it’s worth noting that there are two Triple M stations broadcasting on FM that carries the “Classic Hits” format: Mid North Coast & Fraser Coast.
In the case of the former, it does give listeners around Coffs Harbour & the northern end of the Kempsey licence area (Nambucca Heads, Macksville, South West Rocks etc.) a choice in music formats, in which the Coffs Coast’s Triple M carry the “Greatest Hits from the 70s to Now” format.
[/quote]

Yes I’ve noticed Triple M Fraser Coast is on the Classic Hits format. Do you know if Bundaberg’s Triple M is on the classic hits or the greatest hits? It’s right next door to Fraser Coast so there would be some overlap in the markets.

Greatest Hits, the 70s to Now feed.

1 Like

Exactly what 3KZ did when they became KZFM. On switchover they became the #1 station in Melbourne. Did they leave well alone? Nooooo. They decided they needed to become more “FM”, changing the music mix and becoming more ocker in their style. Ratings declined accordingly.

1 Like

Fraser Coast has moved to the 70s to Now format, but still with Ray Hadley

And it what was format before?

Classic Hits.

At least the people of Maryborough & Hervey Bay can still listen to a Classic Hits station via Zinc 96 from Gympie, which doesn’t carry any talkback or sport (except for Sportsday on weeknights).

1 Like

Seems to be a fixation on sports for regional radio of late. I don’t think it’s the must listen people think it is.

Think of 3AW’s nightly sports show, it has been halved and outsourced, so even a powerhouse station like 3AW can’t sustain it.

Zinc 96 is good for in car listening, but marginal within buildings in either M’bo or the Bay. It’s not what you’d call a saleable signal.

I thought the halving of Sports Today was more due to the MRN-Fairfax merge that meant management in Sydney was forcing 2GB programming on to 3AW (ie. Steve Price, Money News) reducing the program by one hour.

The outsourcing with Crocmedia (to become “Sportsday”) was a deal that Crocmedia did with 3AW as part of the new AFL radio rights agreement. It meant Crocmedia got access to Gerard Healy and Dwayne Russell for the program that they already syndicated around Victoria and Tasmania. Gerard and Dwayne were thrilled too as it meant they were back to a 2-hour show as the full 2 hours is still on air in regional areas.

Exactly. Zinc is like a local station in Maryborough, at least in the car. Rebel is pretty good in the car there also. Pity they’ve never put Breeze on air from Childers. They’ve got the licence but apparently it’s an expensive transmission site…

3 Likes

Very strange, Rebel is on air with advertising banners on local businesses in the main street of Bundaberg yet no Breeze.

Mt Goonaneman as with Mt Tamborine is another site where the Jowitt’s do more than well with their remote area licence fortuitously overspilling into long established commercial areas.

1 Like

Breeze would probably rate its pants off given the alternatives available in the area, particularly with the prized female and baby-boomer demos. SCA would kick up a bigger stink than a hazard reduction on a still day in the Sydney metro area and pressure may be brought to bear on these fortuitous signals (though that hasn’t happened on the Cold Ghost…)

3 Likes