Radio Stations - Music Logs

Did you ever sample 9inety6ix.1 when it ran an alt rock format in 1998? That’s what Channel X reminds me of. Obviously some of the songs are after 1998!

Reel Big Fish ‘Sellout’ and the MMB (both ‘Impression’ and ‘Rascal King’) were thrashed on 9inety6ix.1. Reel Big Fish even appears on my aircheck!

Don’t mind alt rock as it is ‘my era’ but definitely a little bit different from the 80s pop that’s in your wheelhouse :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yep, awesome, that’s the one, now everybody knows how daggy my taste in music is. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

No, I generally tuned out of One FM by the time 1997 1998 came along, I was mainly listening to 2WS, Mix 106.5, I98FM, and occasionally Wave. 2KO was a good listen at the time when troppo conditions were right. When it comes to rock, I was a listener of Triple M during the Doug Mulray days of 1982 to 1989, pretty much the rock I listened to back then was David Bowie, Bryan Adams, Machinations, Venetions, The Models, Australian Crawl, Crowded House, early Guns and ROses, Men at WOrk, David Lee ROth/Van Halen, Moody Blues, Roxette, early REM, and so forth. Of course they had all the legends in there as well as Steve Perry/Journey, Bob Seger, 10cc, Skyhooks, Splitenz, Led Zeppelin, and etc.

4 Likes

Wow… so these “name the winning song” tactics can be flawed/easily won with a simple Lava search?

2 Likes

Doubt it, either lava doesn’t put the tracks up, until they have been played, or even if someone can circumvent the system by searching lava, no doubt with these commercial stations you have to be the 106th caller or something.

4 Likes

I must be honest @anonymousbroadcaster I find myself listening to the Fresh Mix most of the time in the background during the work day. It is really a great mix of music and it actually has some newer music too. When I first say the branding of “MIX” I thought it would be like MIX 106.5 with a lot of repetition :slight_smile: . And I like there are some 60s and even some 50s hits on occasions. Some familiar some not familiar.

I know I have mentioned I like the channel before but I think its worth mentioning again.

For those who don’t know the online station it is here ;

http://www.thefreshmix.com/

3 Likes

Laoma, thanks for the thumbs up,

During 1996 to 1997, MIX 106.5 seemed to be at their maxim, maybe they became more confident with their format, or just had better management at ARN, but for a short wile they were seriously having a go at recreating the old 2Day FM of the early mid 80s. They had heavily cut back on the “Mix Artists”, and started pushing toward a much looser rotation, with a more uncluttered style. I didn’t expect them to suddenly play Maureen Elkner’s “Rak off normie”, but they were several tracks I was surprised to hear for the first time on FM radio, obviously some hang-over from 2UW to what it seemed.

ANyway, must have been another management change at ARN during the later part of 1997, as both MIX and 2WS went back to their tightly rotated crappy playlists again, and that was that.

So in essence, I’m recreateing the sound of what MIX and 2WS sounded like in the mid 90s, but with two pointers, extremely, and I mean extreamly low rotations over several days, rather then a few hours, and the aspect of some curated program material that many stations seem to lack today. I guess one could even say we’re sounding like 2UW in the mid to late 80s. Lots of new AC stuff with a deep archive of music from the 30s 40s, 70s, 80s, till now.

3 Likes

Keep it up @anonymousbroadcaster. About as close to a ‘MediaSpy approved’ station as there’ll ever be :slight_smile: I know that in the past you’ve been (quite rightly) discouraged by inertia in the broadcasting space. Many here and elsewhere value your work.

I’m in a similar position with my show on Braidwood FM; it mostly caters to ‘music nerds’ but I enjoy doing it. That’s all that matters at the end of the day because it’s essentially hobby radio.

3 Likes

dxnerd, again, thanks for the kind words of encouragement, I’ve been at this particular project now for nearly 25 years, I’ve met many great people, including the late Mike Drayson who done my first job pro-bono, and a good network of friends who we all share the same radio interest and similar values, through to utter trash who have ridiculed, gaslighted, and mocked. We’re still going, and that’s the main thing, the only way of kicking the naysayers in the arse and to never give up. Very much inspired by the song with the same title from Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush, nothing is ever easy in life, where chucking the towel in is an absolute last resort.

Just a final footnote to next week, good news, my friend is now online, and will be hosting the fresh mix wile I’m in hospital under surgery. This means the fresh mix will now be continually broadcasting during this time.

3 Likes

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

1 Like

Thanks, have been in hospital and now out recovering, operation was successful. Now during recovering real Estate wishes to do rental inspection, strata wants to do a balcony regrout, and somewhere between there will be a fire inspection. So the mix will be in the hands of reggie rocket for a few more weeks, at least up to the first weekend of June when I can start to enjoy some peace again from agents and strata corps.

3 Likes

So after a long absence, I decided to compile the “playlist” for my favorite radio station… again.
Seeing everyone talking about how dull/bad/great the playlist in Australian radio is make me want to check the playlist of 91FM’s greatest hits block.
91FM is a great network, however, it is under-utilised because many still view the network as “traffic” - as if it’s a “TIS” station in the US. Constant commercials during peak driving time period resulted in many people no longer listening to 91FM - however, other timeslots have really low to none of commercials.

It’s hard to compare the playlists of 91FM with other networks, since 91FM is still predominantly playing Vietnamese music, with foreign music are limited to overnight to early morning timeslots, and at breakfast and late night at weekend. Here’s one example, the Greatest Hits block at this weekend:

91fm Greatest Hits
Saturday, 20 May 2023 - 11PM - midnight
Sunday, 21 May 2023 - 7 - 8AM (Hanoi)/6:30 - 7:30AM (Saigon/MekongFM) and 11PM - midnight

Tangled Up In Blue - Bob Dylan
Out Of The Dark - Falco
Break Away - The Beach Boys
Lucky For You - Espen Lind
Burning Like Fire - 2 Unlimited
Babes In The Wood - Mary Black
Made In Heaven - Queen
No One Needs To Know - Shania Twain
Circle Of Life - Elton John
You (ft. Gerald Albright) - Jesse Powell
Stand - Poison
My First Night With You - Mýa
Man On The Moon - R.E.M.
Hello Sunshine - Aretha Franklin

Since 91FM, unlike most commercial-oriented radio networks around the world, doesn’t have voicetracking or advanced automation system like RCS or something, a foreign song could be played by the will of the presenter in charge of the timeslot. During the closing part of the evening program (at around 9:30PM) last week, Duy Thanh played Big Big World - Emilia.

3 Likes

Can’t seem to find anything about them on the interwebz, must be terrestrial only.

2 Likes

the legal name of the network is “VOV Giao Thông” (VOV Traffic), however, it’s often referred to on air as 91FM.

1 Like

Hay all, just a quick note our dedicated Tina Turner Special will go to air tonight on the fresh mix dot com, it will commence from 22:00 hrs Australian Eastern.

01 - Tina Turner - River deep mountain high (Ike and Tina Turner) (1967)
02 - Ike and TIna Turner - Proud mary (1971)
03 - Tina Turner - Nutbush city limits (single version) (1973)
04 - Tina Turner - Let’s stay together (1983)
05 - Tina Turner - What’s love got to do with it (1984)
06 - Tina Turner - Better be good to me (1984)
07 - Tina Turner - 1984 (1984)
08 - Tina Turner - Private dancer (album version) (1985)
09 - Tina Turner - Might have been queen (1985)
10 - Tina Turner - I can’t stand the rain (1984)
11 - David Bowie - Tonight (with tina turner) (1984)
12 - Tina Turner - Show some respect (1985)
13 - Tina Turner - We don’t need another hero (single version) (1985)
14 - Tina Turner - One of the living (1985)
15 - Bryan Adams - It’s only love (with Tina Turner) (1986)
16 - Tina Turner - Typical male (dance mix) (1986)
17 - Tina Turner - Break every rule (single version) (1987)
18 - Eric Clapton - Tearing us apart (with tina turner) (1987)
19 - Tina Turner - Steamy windows (1990)
20 - Rod Stewart - It takes two (with tina turner) (1991)
21 - Tina Turner - Simply the best (featuring Jimmy Barnes with Johnny Diesel) (1992)
22 - Tina Turner - I don’t wanna fight (1993)
23 - Tina Turner - Disco inferno (1993)
24 - Tina Turner - On silent wings (1996)
25 - Tina Turner - When the heartache is over (1999)

6 Likes

Just a heads up from 20:00 hrs tonight on the fresh mix dot com, we’ll be counting down the top 40 hits from this week in 1982, from my Leed Lemonade top 40 singles chart.

Leed Lemonade Weekly Top 40 Singles
Week Ending Sunday 30th May 1982

40 - Midnight Oil - Armistice day (CBS)
39 - Tweets - Birdie song (Astor)
38 - Moon Martin - X ray vision (Capitol)
37 - Cold Chisel - Forever now (WEA)
36 - Kokomo - A little bit further away (CBS)
35 - Third World - Try jah love (CBS)
34 - Tight Fit - The lion sleeps tonight (Jive)
33 - Journey - Open arms (CBS)
32 - Johnny Chester - Rough around the edges (WEA)
31 - ABBA - When all is said and done (RCA)
30 - Church - When you were mine (Parlophone)
29 - Duran Duran - Careless memories (EMI)
28 - XTC - Senses working overtime (Virgin)
27 - Haircut One Hundred - Love plus one (Arista)
26 - Tommy Tutone - 867 5309 (jenny) (CBS)
25 - Stars On 45 - Stars on stevie wonder (us single edit) (Mercury)
24 - Swanee - Temporary heartache (WEA)
23 - Foreigner - Juke box hero (Atlantic)
22 - Queen - Body language (Elektra)
21 - Anne Murray - Another sleepless night (Capitol)
20 - J Geils Band - Freeze frame (EMI America)
19 - Rick Springfield - Don’t talk to strangers (Wizard)
18 - Fixx - Stand or fall (album version) (MCA)
17 - Mike Oldfield - Five miles out (featuring maggie riely) (Virgin)
16 - Kim Wilde - View from a bridge (Rak)
15 - Dollar - Mirror mirror (mon amour) (WEA)
14 - Huey Lewis and the News - Do you believe in love (Chrysalis)
13 - Asia - Heat of the moment (Geffen)
12 - David Bowie - Cat people (putting out fire) (7 inch version) (Astor)
11 - Dr Hook - Baby makes her blue jeans talk (Mercury)
10 - Motels - Only the lonely (Capitol)
09 - Splitenz - Six months in a leaky boat (Mushroom)
08 - Paul McCartney - Ebony and ivory (with Stevie Wonder) (Parlophone)
07 - Rolling Stones - Hang five (Rolling Stone)
06 - Adrian Gurvitz - Classic (Rak)
05 - Paul Davis - 65 love affair (Arista)
04 - Roxy Music - More then this (Polydor)
03 - Human League - Don’t you want me (Virgin)
02 - Goombay Dance Band - Seven tears (CBS)
01 - Bucks Fizz - My camera never lies (RCA)

4 Likes

Bugger missed it again. Looks like a great mix.

3 Likes

Me too. I gotta set a reminder to check this thread on Sunday afternoons.

2 Likes

Will be repeating it at 17:00 hrs Australian Eastern this Sunday 4th June. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I put it in my diary :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This was a spir of the moment program tonight, random selections from the Leed Lemonade Top 40 Countdown from Sunday 16th December 1979. Played on the fresh mix dot com between 21:30 and 23:00 hrs tonight.

UPDATE - This show will be repeated on Sunday 11th June between 14:00 and 16:00 hrs Australian Eastern.

01 - Buggles - Video killed the radio star (alternative mix)
02 - Gary Numan - Cars
03 - Christie Allen - Goose bumps
04 - Nick Lowe - Cruel to be kind
05 - Pablo Cruise - I want you tonight
06 - Leo Sayer - When the money runs out
07 - ABBA - Gimme gimme gimme (a man after midnight)
08 - Fern Kinney - I’ve been lonely for so long (full length version)
09 - KC and the Sunshine Band - Please don’t go
10 - Andy Forray - Drac’s back (24 96 vinyl remaster)
11 - Eagles - Heartache tonight
12 - Dave Edmunds - Girls talk
13 - Ry Cooder - Little sister
14 - Edith Bliss - If it’s love you want (vinyl)
15 - Amii Stewart - Jealousy (single version) (remaster)
16 - Rupert Holmes - Escape the pina colada song (1991 rhino mastering)
17 - Nolans - I’m in the mood for dancing
18 - Ashford and Simpson - Found a cure
19 - Styx - Babe
20 - Kiss - Sure know something
21 - Fleetwood Mac - Tusk
22 - Van Morrison - Bright side of the road
23 - Telex - Twist a st tropez
24 - Dollar - Who were you with in the moonlight
25 - Michael Jackson - Don’t stop till you get enough

7 Likes