Radio Stations - Music Logs

No love for Plastic Bertrand? Sacré bleu!

6 Likes

There must be 2 Triple Ms then. The metros are mostly rock with some classic hits but don’t include many of the songs in the playlist you mentioned.

1 Like

I have heard Nena’s original 99 Luft Balloons in German on Triple M in the past few years.

3 Likes

In the recent past there were “three Triple Ms” at least, as I think the AM and FM regional Triple M’s were more or less on a different log (“Classic Hits” vs. “Greatest Hits” or vice versa, something like that, at least when the AMs weren’t taking talk like Steve Price) that were both different to metro… I guess the blurring of Triple M metro in recent months has made it even more confusing.

5 Likes

Tbh the music on the metro Triple Ms is quite good, especially some of the indie and alt from 2000s. The MMM DAB stations have a good selection of music too as well as Alice Cooper at nights on Classic Rock Digital, which is a good show.

Finally had a chance to jump in the car and record this log. Reception out west is incredibly patchy but enough for me and Shazam to decipher!

Jockless, but repeating segments from ‘The Brekky Flow’ breakfast show.

Flow FM - 106.3 Healesville, VIC
“The Colour of Country Life”
Monday 13th March 2023 - 6-7pm AEDT

“Don’t Give In” Snow Patrol
News - branded as “a Flow News 24 bulletin”
“Visiting Hours” Ed Sheeran
“Never Gonna Not Dance Again” Pink
‘The Brekky Flow’ replay - Discussing the summer road toll and road safety
Ads
“Get Shaky” The Ian Carey Project
“Do That Again” Della Harris (“Another hot country hit on Flow FM”)
“Futon Couch” - Missy Higgins
“Boy” - The Killers
‘The Brekky Flow’ replay - Too weird to be true
Ads
‘Tech Daily with Andy Wells’ segment
“I Remember” The Badloves
“Weekends” Freya Ridings
‘The Brekky Flow’ replay - ‘Onion bags’ to be installed in Torquay
Ads
“Always Enough” Natural State (“Another hot country hit on Flow FM”)
“DNA” Craig David & Galantis
“Sk8er Boi” Avril Lavigne

4 Likes

Thanks for this Mr. Antenna. Not as good as Breeze but at least they still provide a decent alternative to the cookie-cutter SCA and ARN/iFart outlets. Though in a lot of places where Flow FM broadcasts, it’s your only (commercial) option!***

That Badloves track is definitely the pick of the hour for mine, a great and rarely heard song. It used to feature prominently on a 2EC (Bega) sweeper around 2007-2008 when 2EC was much more adventurous in its music selection.

***I’d still prefer the delightfully named Dusty Radio if I ever find myself in Coober Pedy, though.

3 Likes

Thanks for that mate :+1:

3 Likes

For comparison, here’s the playlist for 91fm Saigon during it’s alloted international music block (4 - 6AM, on weekdays it’s 4 - 5AM).

91fm Saigon - Early Morning International Music block
Sunday, 5 March 2023 - 4 - 6AM

Against All Odds (Take A Look at Me Now) - Mariah Carey ft. Westlife
Savoir aimer - Florent Pagny
Comme une plume au vent - Sylvain Cossette
Besame Mucho - Andrea Bocelli
Comme D’Habitude - Claude Francois
Comme une plume au vent - Sylvain Cossette (DIFFERENT VERSION)
Canto Della Terra - Andrea Bocelli
Dare to Live (Vivere) - Andrea Bocelli & Laura Pausini
Et moi dans mon coin - Charles Aznavour
La Vie En Rose - Andrea Bocelli & Edith Piaf
Le soldat - Florent Pagny
Le papillon - Michel Serrault & Claire Bouanich
Sleeping Child - Michael Learns to Rock
Unforgettable - Thomas Rhett
Angels - Robbie Williams
Apologize - Justin Timberlake
(They Long To Be) Close To You - The Carpenters
All I Have To Give - Backstreet Boys
Pretty Boy - M2M
Donna, Donna - Joan Baez (Shazam displayed as The Hippies)
Cheerish - Kool & The Gang
Soulmate - Natasha Bedingfield
Boulevard - Dan Byrd
Forever at your Feet - Suzie Ungerleider (Oh Susanna) (CUT HALFWAY FOR UNKNOWN REASON)
Because You Love Me - Celine Dion
Born to Try - Delta Goodrem
Colors of the Wind - Vanessa Williams
Va veni o zi-ntr-o-zi - Cleopatra Stratan
Coming Home - Billy Gilman
A Song For Lady - H.O.T.
Hello - Lionel Ritchie

The playlist of 91fm Saigon is quite strange in my opinion. When I compile this playlist, I’m surprised that they play so much non-English songs (in italics). It should be noted that they also threw in a 60s/70s song (in bold italics) within the crowd of usual mix of late 90s - mid 2010s music that often heard on 91fm Saigon. There are also 80s songs in this, although Colors of the Wind is quite disputed because it’s quite “not fit in any places” because it’s from 1994.

Are 91fm Saigon trying to be a hybrid “more variety-Jack FM” version or trying to imitiate the style of throwing “wow” songs like 4KQ (although personally for me 91fm Hanoi has higher chance of doing that 4KQ style, given that the Hanoi feed leans much older that 91fm Saigon…)

2 Likes

Are the French songs a legacy of colonialism? I’m not sure how much traction French culture has in Vietnam these days.

I agree the log is a bit wacky.

4 Likes

With news this morning that Bay 93.9 have gone with its own log (see post in the “Grant Broadcasters (not sold to ARN)” thread) by playing more from the 80s & 90s with some 70s thrown in, I thought I’d take a look at how they’re now sounding.

Bay 93.9 - Geelong, VIC
Tuesday 14th March 2023 - 1-3pm AEDT

1pm
“Roam” The B-52’s
“Wake Me Up When September Ends” Green Day
“Sussudio” Phil Collins
“Finally” CeCe Peniston
“Somebody To Love” Queen
“When Smokey Sings” ABC
“Push” Matchbox 20
“Private Eyes” Hall & Oates
“I Say A Little Prayer (Remix)” Diana King
“Don’t Dream It’s Over” Crowded House

2pm
“Summer Rain” Belinda Carlisle
“Under The Bridge” Red Hot Chili Peppers
“Holding Out For A Hero” Bonnie Tyler
“Moves Like Jagger” Maroon 5 / Christina Aguilera
“You Give Love A Bad Name” Bon Jovi
“As Long As You Love Me” Backstreet Boys
“Shout” Tears For Fears
“Angel Of Harlem” U2
“Careless Whisper” George Michael
“Breaking Me” Topic / A7S
“Big Love” Fleetwood Mac

As for how the ARN Regional’s AC stations (River 94.9, 3BA, Mix 104.9 etc) are sounding for comparison…

3BA 102.3 - Ballarat, VIC
“Ballarat’s Own”
Tuesday 14th March 2023 - 1-3pm AEDT

1pm
“When I Come Around” Green Day
“Love Again” The Kid Laroi
“The Boys of Summer” Don Henley
“Angel” Shaggy / Rayvon
“King Of The Mountain” Midnight Oil
“Bonfire Heart” James Blunt
“Love Shack” The B-52’s
“Young Again” Morgan Evans
“Urgent” Foreigner
“The Lazy Song” Bruno Mars
“3am” Matchbox 20
“Everytime You Go Away” Paul Young

2pm
“Learn To Fly” Foo Fighters
“Snap” Rosa Linn
“The Best” Tina Turner
“Hero” Chad Kroeger / Josey Scott
“Missing” Everything But The Girl
“Heat Of The Moment” Asia
“Way Down We Go” Kaleo
“Friday I’m In Love” The Cure
“Last Night” Good Charlotte
“Talk It Over” Grayson Hugh
“My Universe” Coldplay / BTS
“What’s Up?” 4 Non Blondes

As you can see, Bay 93.9 is now sounding more different from K Rock than before, and is also a little closer to Gold 104.3 & Smooth.

7 Likes

French culture has a bit of traction in modern Vietnamese lifestyle as well as made quite a part of Vietnamese language loanwords.

However in the case of music logs, I think it could be because the 91fm team randomly choose the music, making the log looks so wacky (also an outside note: during the block there is no jingles or voiceovers except the start end the end of the block, meaning that the block is continuous like… mp3 player, I guess)

3 Likes

Could the new Bay fm log work for Wave fm Wollongong where 2ST cannot be received?

Power fm can stay on the same log, and then both stations won’t be playing the same music.

This might help Wave gain some older
listeners , at times they are too close to i98, and this does not help them at all in the ratings.
IMO Wave fm taking 2St log would be too extreme. The Bay fm log would be a better fit.

1 Like

That would be ideal, except that Bay 93.9 & Wave FM are no longer under common ownership, with the former still owned by Grant whilst the latter is now owned by ARN.

Wave taking the AC log as used by River 94.9, 3BA, Mix 104.9 & 7XS would be more logical, and would still be different enough from i98. Perhaps once ARN takes greater control of the regional stations, they could position Wave as a Pure Gold station.

5 Likes

do we know if or when arn will take greater control?

2 Likes

That Bay 93.9 log is quite similar to Mix 106.3, at a casual glance anyway. @TV-Expert will probably do an A/B now :slight_smile:

1 Like

I will certainly do that. :slight_smile:

Here it is from this morning.

Bay 93.9 - Geelong, VIC
Wednesday 15th March 2023 - 11am-12pm AEDT

“Hip To Be Square” Huey Lewis & The News
“Smooth” Santana / Rob Thomas
“Hold Me Now” Thompson Twins
“Borrow My Heart” Taylor Henderson
“How Can Be Lovers?” Michael Bolton
“I Can’t Dance” Genesis
“I’m So Excited” Pointer Sisters
“I Won’t Back Down” Tom Petty
“Head & Heart” Joel Corry / MNEK
“Overkill” Men At Work
“I Heard A Rumour” Bananarama

Mix 106.3 - Canberra, ACT
“Sounds Like Canberra”
Wednesday 15th March 2023 - 11am-12pm AEDT

“Sweet Child O’ Mine” Guns N’ Roses
“Sunroof” Nicky Youre / Dazy
“The Weight” The Badloves / Jimmy Barnes
“Always Something There To Remind Me” Naked Eyes
“All The Small Things” Blink 182
“Land Of Confusion” Genesis
“Until I Found You” Stephen Sanchez / Em Beihold
“Ode To My Family” The Cranberries
“Flashdance…What A Feeling” Irene Cara
“Lonely Boy” The Black Keys
“Sisters Are Doin’ It For Themselves” Eurythmics / Aretha Franklin

As you can see, Mix 106.3 plays a bit more newer music than Bay 93.9, whereas the latter only plays 1 or 2 songs from the last decade in an hour, with the rest mostly from the 80s & 90s.

This just reaffirms the view, at least IMHO, that Melbourne & surrounding areas have better commercial + community radio stations than what Sydney & surrounding areas have, at least as far as music is concerned. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Both of those lists just confirm my view that most playlists in this country just seem like ipod shuffles these days. There just doesn’t seem to be any curating happening. They’re just picking songs rather than aiming for an overall “sound” of a station. The only exceptions really are Breeze, Rebel and Smooth in my opinion. These stations at least have a “sound”. Nova in the early days used to have a distinctive sound but not anymore.

To me this is one of the biggest failings in Australian radio in recent years.
When I’m in the UK it’s very easy to work out if I’m listening to Magic, Smooth, Heart or GHR. But here it’s usually just sounding like a random song shuffle unless I’m on Breeze or Rebel.

6 Likes

I’m offended that Canberra is considered a ‘surrounding area’ of Sydney :wink: Canberra is a city in its own right, especially these days with conga lines of traffic streaming into the metro from 5 AM in the morning. That’s more Sydney-like rather than the ‘big country town’ or ‘bush capital’ of yore.

Warrnambool is the rough equivalent of Canberra in Victoria/Melbourne terms…would the Potato Cakes consider it to be Melbourne surrounds? (It gets a better train service to Melbourne than exists between Canberra and Sydney!)

1 Like

No, I didn’t class Canberra as being considered a ‘surrounding area’ of Sydney in my original comment. :slight_smile:

2 Likes