Radio reviews

Thought I’d start a new topic on radio reviews.

This radio I got from ebay.

Good things

1. Very light in weight. Nice to put in pocket. Too many things need to go in pocket these days.
  2. DAB reception adequate.
  3. Rechargeable
  4. Bluetooth, those new flagship phones with no headphone jack. This is solution.
  5. I like on off switch.
  6. Whilst no presets quite straight forward to use, very simple.
  7. Quite cheap!

Not so good

1. FM radio trash. In mono.
  2. Some low DAB bit stations in mono, like FUN Superdigi, the higher bit station sound ok but not as good as the Sangean.
  3. Taking phone calls, the microphone is in the the device itself. So you need to hold the radio near your mouth.
  4. No presets but not the end of the world.

Conclusion, not good for for DXing or FM radio, but really light in pocket not bulky at all. I like the bluetooth feature too. I definitely need another radio to listen to FM but this is good to have if you plan to listen to dab only in a good reception area, also you don’t care the audio quality or don’t need to listen to FM radio or low bit dab radio.

I’ll post more or my radio reviews as I get time to do them :).

1 Like

Now for the Sony https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/dab-radios/xdr-p1dbp.

Bought it from jbhifi a few years back.

Good things

1. The preset buttons on the top. This is really convenient can be FM or DAB. Plus you got the other presents hidden in the menu. 10 of them DAB and FM pretty good.
  2. Great loud speaker, good sound/loud.
  3. You can manually tune in DAB frequency.

Not so good

1. DAB Reception, I found using the headphone jack I don’t get as good reception as I do with the Sangean. I played around and removed the telescopic aerial it seem to help, but then whats the point :slight_smile: . For the price I expected better with reception. Bit more challenging on FM to see if it has the same issue or not. At least I can get SWR FM next to HHH so it has pretty good sensitivity.
  2. Reception metre hidden in menus. I would really like to see a reception metre on the display all the time.
  3. A bit heavy for a pocket radio. This is more a traditional transistor radio if this is what you are looking for then perfect

Overall a great compact radio to have at your desk and listen to. The sound quality is good with earphones but the receptions of dab can be flaky when on the go. For DX nerds I might pass on this, but for those who just want to listen the radio only it does the job well.

If you weren’t listening to music - say, you wanted to listen to the radio commentary at the football - is it decent enough?

Yeah I use it to listen to the cricket. DAB radio isnt good at the ground, too much delay. I would take a trusty am radio for that.

I bought this Yamaha micro hi fi today (on sale for $288 at Hardly Normal).

(Click on the ‘Features’ or ‘Specs’ tab for info).

It is a great buy for the price!

Very good sound, and good reception on both FM and DAB.

Only quibbles so far.

• It will only activate stereo on FM if you use the automatic (seek) tuning option, manual tuning will stay in mono only.
  • The Australian manual I found online appears to suggest that it has RDS. It doesn’t seem to work here (curses!). But then very few micro/mini systems have it. The Denon D-M41 is the only one I know of that does but is $899.
1 Like

I just bought this one. I wont get it until Sept or Oct but look forward to getting it.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Tecsun-PL398MP-Digital-Shortwave-Speakers/dp/B0062DOYWE

1 Like

That’d be a good replacement for my old PL-390!

That was my first Tecsun radio, it fell to bits though, not great build quality though.

I know I said I wasn’t going to… but I did… just buy yet another digital radio. My 7th portable unit.

This one…

JB had it at 30% off last weekend ($174.30). The main attractions were that it was a Sangean, one of my favourite DAB brands and that it had rotary controls for tuning and volume. And the price! Don’t know that I would have paid $249 for it.

Very happy with it, reception and sound quality are both excellent on FM and DAB, and the rotary controls are easy to use.

Only downsides are that it’s bigger and heavier than others (which I knew would be the case), and the orange backlight isn’t as pleasant to my eyes as the light blue ones most other radios have.

2 Likes

can we have a long conversation regarding radios…

Ill start with a question I had, Whats a decent radio to buy when I go offroading?

To what locations? And what type of stations are you trying to receive? AM. FM, Shot Wave?

hey im sorry but i should have worded my question better, I’m looking to buy a cb radio or gme, I’m not sure which one I should get

After doing some research on a few websites i actually found that ebay has some decent deals, same with amazon. im based in Sydney Australia and i wanted to look for someting local so i dont have to wait to long for shipping especially during the covid times xd. I found a few websites but there was one that caught my eye, it was called gadgetcity and they have a store very close to my house, on their website I wanted to look for some good deals and find out which ones best, I feel like this one will go alright as it has some cool features like Bluetooth and such, GME XRS-330C CONNECT SUPER COMPACT BLUETOOTH ENABLED UH. Besides that I thought ill share some other finds like GME Vehicle UHF XRS 330 Connect Compact Radio Black

Both decent looking gme radios, what are your opinions on these products?

New radio now available with AM, FM and DAB!

A bit of a rarity to have all 3 bands on the one radio, particularly at this price point ($109)

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/richter-dab-plus-fm-am-potable-digital-radio.html

What I’ve noted so far

Pros: Appears to have RDS for FM
Cons: Has tuning buttons, not a rotary knob. Though having 20 presets on each band helps here.
Unknown: Stereo sound via headphones.

Wouldn’t mind getting one of these next time I’m in Sydney. Looks like a Harvey Norman exclusive.

2 Likes

I’d think that might have a pretty decent sound from the size of the speaker (even though it’s mono), having said that though, my work bought us all one of these Richter pocket radios for monitoring purposes when we’re out & about, https://www.harveynorman.com.au/richter-pocket-personal-digital-radio.html it’s not bad for both FM & DAB reception, & the sound through the headphones is quite nice, but the little inbuilt speaker is woeful & a tin can could sound much better, the telescopic antenna is so fine, you have to be very careful with it, otherwise you’ll bend/break it easier than an old twig & the overall quality of the radio is not that good, especially for the $100 price range, mine will often lock up if you change the station too much to quickly & the only way you can get anything to work again is pull the battery out & start again.

Being Richter & the quality of their speakers, I expected much more from this radio’s sound, even though it’s a tiny speaker I thought it’d sound much better. It’s okay for what I use it for at work, but if I’d have actually paid for it, I would’ve been very disappointed in this purchase, around the $30 price point is what I’d put on this radio for the quality of it, in line with the other AM/FM old style (70’s-80’s) transistor radios.

3 Likes

Quick review of this Paslode radio. Good that it does AM/FM/DAB+ as well as Bluetooth and aux in.

The antenna it comes with isn’t great for indoor reception for poorer stations (pictured is it on SWR 99.9 reporting full reception but no RDS. That required replacing the rubber coated antenna with a classic metal one and having it point down to the ground).

Audio wise it’s okay but mono and lacking in treble, especially on lower volume settings. Changing the EQ to custom and turning up the treble and turning on “loudness” seems to fix this mostly but still sounds muddy even on strong FM stations. May just sound better turned up.

Display is good. Pulls DAB art but doesn’t seem to show song info from Bluetooth.

2 Likes