Radio History

Good one! I’ll pay that.

I remember a Brisbane station (either 4BK or B105) referring to The Eagle in Perth as part of their network for a while. I thought it was a cool name for a station and I assumed for years they must have been on FM because I’d never hear of an AM station with such a radical name :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes 96fm were the only FM in Perth at the time. Austereo had bought 6ix and renamed it The Eagle with the hope of winning the FM conversion at the time (like they managed to do with 4BK to B105)

Although the State bird for WA is the black swan, the bird often associated with the west is the wedge-tailed eagle, which is the inspiration for the West Coast Eagles and I assume the station’s name also.

2 Likes

I think Austereo had hopes of gaining the FM conversion licence so they could move The Eagle to FM, and giving them a “national” FM network. But it was not to be when 6KY and 6PM scored the FM licences, so Austereo sold off The Eagle and it went back to being 6IX, although as things worked out Austereo got those FM conversions later anyway.

I am a bit sketchy but there was also a time when 6IX became a member of the Radio West network. Not sure what that entailed but I seem to recall it was a lot of networked programming from Bunbury? But hopefully somebody from Perth might remember it much better than I.

4 Likes

Yes that’s right. Thinking back I’m sure it was on B105 when they used to refer to network stations 2day FM, Fox FM, B105, SAFM and The Eagle in Perth. So they held onto it for s little while after they lost the initial conversion licence which went to PMFM. Hence why I had assumed The Eagle was on FM like the other four.

3 Likes

Yes, I kind of remember Radio West 1080 (they also dropped the 6IX name there for a while too).

I think that was mid 1980s, not sure who long that lasted, but during that time, I think Perth became the hub and fed programs to all regionals?

1 Like

Was Kremmen ever on air here in Australia?

I presume so.

It was certainly a breakfast staple on 3ZB and Radio Caroline in the late 70s/early 80s.

3XY in Melbourne used to have Captain Kremmen in the breakfast show in the early 80s I recall.

1 Like

Tell us more please? Where did Capt Kremmen originate?

1 Like

Yes I remember Captain Kremmen here but I can’t recall which station it was. I’m thinking I heard it on 4MB.

2 Likes

Networked into Brisbane as well.

It certainly did have an edgier JJJ sound…

Hearing this out of the 8am news on Triple M was certainly a treat.

Wild FM was probably the best radio station to have ever graced the airwaves in Brisbane.

The vibrance, the beats, the way it captivated a city.

So incredibly popular.

Sadly we may never see the likes of which again…

2 Likes

Sorry for the delay. Life and times on talking lifestyle. You can podcast it.

1 Like

Was it always TalkBack?

No, 7-9 was music and 9-11 talkback. John Crawford hosted an early breakfast programme from 4am - 7am I think.

1 Like

May have been posted before, but there are some great air checks there.

2 Likes

What year do you reckon?

2 Likes

With the poster saying that the promotion concludes on Friday June 8, I’d say that it’s from 1990.

2 Likes

post-Lamb…

3 Likes