Radio History

I was a teenager living near Maryborough Qld in the mid 80s and 4MK was probably my favourite station to listen to late into the night. It was always one of the clearest signals although it faded in and out of course. Loved it and I thought it sounded so polished and “modern” compared to my local choices 4MB and 4BU. The other one I loved at the time which also came through well was 4HI.

Yes, 4MK was well received down here into Newcastle via night skip, it was the most northerly signal that I could receive. It was a good listen.

I think 4HI and 4LG Longreach shared night time programming back then, I did listen to it a bit via 4LG (reception of 4HI impossible here due to 2HD), but I don’t remember a lot about it.

Yes they used to id at night as 4HI-LG.
If I recall correctly 4HI was a relatively new station and might have only gone to air in the early 80s. It was a bit top 40 at night, probably moreso than even 4MK.

I used to sometimes get 4RR and 4TO Townsville and occasionally 4CA. But 4MK was definitely the most reliable northern station.

I also recall 2NX-NM as pretty good at night too.

3 Likes

Go Wild…

:slight_smile: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/aus.radio.broadcast/wild$20fm$20brisbane$20|sort:date/aus.radio.broadcast/8ArT9BYYp5c/Z7dcB4qALUsJ

I read 2uw became more TalkBack when John Laws came from 2ue drive. I am not sure if John Laws program was talk on the drive show, but it seems his show became talk when he was on 2uw. 2uw was pretty popular in the 60s for music and lost some audience due it becoming more news and talk. They built the station around John Laws and that kept the ratings at a higher level. Then I think once John Laws left it never become a very popular music station (consistently ) until KIIS.

Does anyone know when it reverted back to music? Was listening to life and times show on talking lifestyle with Marcela Zemanek. Was too young to listen in the 70s. Was this the catalyst for 2sm when Laws went to 2uw to grow in popularity as the number one music station?

2 Likes

Never knew Laws was once on 2UW.

That means he has been on at least 4 commercial radio stations in Sydney.
Must be some kind of a record?

2 Likes

Bit of a write up in wikipedia. Stan use to work for John at 2uw. I think Bob Rogers, Ian Macca, Malcolm T worked for quite a few.

2 Likes

What is the name of this show? When was it on?

Nice little bit of 3AW history… an old logo hidden behind a building for years

5 Likes

I think that 3AW logo still looks quite modern… it hasn’t really dated much at all.

1 Like

From 1969 - 1979, quite a long stint. Started in a 7am - 11am time slot and the first record he played was Hitchin a Ride by Vanity Fair. He later moved to a more sensible 9am - Noon and was quite popular.

1 Like

Is he ever going to retire?,he’s about 81 now

2 Likes

Laws loves it too much to retire.

It keeps him alive, gives him purpose.

He sounds more relaxed on 2SM than he ever did on 2UE and not in a sloppy way.

I only wish the producers would arrange more interviews for him, he did a ‘valedictory’ style interview of Mike Baird (knowing he’d leave soon in the following year) and it was compelling radio.

2 Likes

Does anyone remember the Eagle (1080AM) in Perth? What was it like? Similar to a 4BK? What was the deal with its name?

The Eagle was when Austereo purchased 6IX and changed the callsign to 6GL and branding because they didn’t think the 6IX brand could be successful.

Not sure on the music format, but I think it was Classic Hits, which back in the late 80s-early 90s was probably 60s and 70s music, so probably not much different to what they play now.

1 Like

Cool ~ thanks. Yeah they sound similar to 4BK at that time.

Was the name inspired by the WC Eagles? Or no real connection?

I presume 96fm was still king of the market at that time?

Don’t really know!
Never thought about any possible connection between WCE and 1080am.

It’s probably the only football brand in Australia that could double as a radio station brand… Try imagining Magpie FM or The Bronco as a radio station… I couldn’t!

2 Likes

Although the ipod Dockers could have worked.

2 Likes

Radio Bronco, KIST-FM 107.7 FM, Santa Barbara :horse:

3 Likes

Lol! It could only happen in America of course!

2 Likes