Radio History

Brilliantly written.

Could this be Australia’s first and only failed metro FM conversion launch?

3 Likes

Most likely, yes.

5DN was a popular news/talk station prior to the FM conversion, so when it converted to FM as 102FM, it had to change their format quite dramatically to be more music-based. Fittingly, from what I read somewhere, their first song on FM was “We Don’t Talk Anymore” by Cliff Richard.

5 Likes

You could also argue that Mix106.5 Sydney was not a big success either… it’s ratings were only ever average until they reformatted as KIIS.

2 Likes

2001 ad for Mix 106.5

4 Likes

Nothing shows official like the Comic Sans permit number text on the ad.

(I think that’s actually the Mac knockoff comic sans, but the joke works better ignoring it)

2 Likes

I thought KZFM in Melbourne failed initially and might have almost gone under? Of course, they then became Gold 104 and the rest is a very successful history.

3 Likes

KZFM had a spectacular start, hitting #1 (14.6%) in its first survey, ending Fox’s almost 3 years at the top spot. But it was downhill after that, hitting a low of 7.2 in Survey 6/1991. I don’t think it actually went into receivership, though it might have. A revamp as Gold 104 rescued its ratings and it later got bought out by Austereo and then ARN.

EDIT: It went into receivership in 1994 RECEIVER APPOINTED FOR STATION GOLD 104

2 Likes

3KZ’s move to 104.3 was also a lesson in what NOT to pay for an FM conversion… their $31 million was waay more than any other station in the country paid, even both the Sydney ones were under $10 mil I think.

2 Likes

Do we know how it was determined that TT FM got 101.1, and KZ FM got 104.3?
Did KZ get the choice as the highest bidder?
Or did the ABA/ABT allocate them?
Otherwise we could have had Gold101.1 and KIIS1043 on our radios today.

1 Like

3TT must have thought it was a steal to get 101.1 for around $11m when 3AK’s $22m bid fell over due to a defaulted payment.

2 Likes

Daryl Kerrigan would have been very impressed!

1 Like

My understanding was that it was 3KZ’s choice and the picked 104.3 because it was between the existing commercial FM stations of FOX and MMM.

1 Like

Do you know how much 4BK paid to convert to B105? I had thought it was around $20M but I could be wrong.

1 Like

Not sure with Brisbane, I had a hunch that it was around $8 mil?

But yep, definitely not $31 mil!

Malcolm Farnsworth has uploaded the final news bulletin and closedown on 3LO from Sunday 3/12/1972. Interestingly the bulletin begins with national news before switching to Victorian newsroom (and an utterly devastating report on the road toll 2 years after The Sun’s Declare War on 1034 campaign). Also of note, not on the hour but from 11:55pm leading into closedown at midnight.

8 Likes

Just found it - it was $17M

3 Likes

Interesting that they didn’t mention ABC radio 1 and ABC radio 3 in the descriptions.

so sad. all those fatalities and a list of locations and that was just from one weekend in Victoria

2 Likes

Let me steal @TV-Expert 's thunder by posting this one:

The station seems to be pretty much lost to history- so enjoy this slice of it!

I remember that one, though i only ever heard it on 92.5 but not 99.5.