Radio History

Yes I do remember that. Must have been just before they converted to FM. In about '86 it was something like “the biggest variety of better music” - quite a mouthful.

3AW 1429. Weird frequency back then.

It was on 1425 kHz only for a few years before changing in 1935 to 1280 kHz with the national reshuffle of station frequencies.

It shifted from 1425 with 3XY soon to launch on 1420.

1 Like

Interesting that the Wiki article says 3AW was on 1425 k/c. Because 210 meters is 1429 kHz. (1428.57 to be more precise). And a reproduction newspaper article with the reshuffled station list from 31 August 1935 lists a station on 210 meters as being on 1430 k/c. Which is close enough to 1429. Methinks the 3AW potted history may be incorrect.

Let me check, i have a station listing from a 1935 Listener In magazine, printed just prior to the reshuffle, which I’ll need to dig out. I’m pretty sure it had 1425, as stations were pretty much only on multiples of 5 or 10 kHz until the reshuffle which put all stations on 10 kHz spacing.

Did the radios of the era prior to that reshuffle have the station call signs along the dial? If so, I wonder how they handled that - like if you could get a plate swapped out with the new frequencies or something?

1 Like

The Australia Radio Dial 1931 has 3AW at 1425

2 Likes

Thanks for that link TV Cynic! Fascinating that so many commercial stations were only running 50 watts!! Even the Melbourne stations were only putting out 200-300 watts. Mostly from the tops of buildings.

Can you imagine how far they’d cover these days, with all the RF noise and TX sites downtown?

No wonder many Australian radios had such excellent performance back in the good old days.

2 Likes

Has anyone here managed to save somewhere parts or all from Mike Carlton’s breakfast show (2003 - 2009), including the Friday News Reviews or the Josh Zepps comedy skits?

I have an LP and a cassette somewhere of highlights of his 1980s breakfast program on 2GB.

Was it this one?
I think I used to have this too…

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MIKE-CARLTONS-NEWS-REVIEW-CASSETTE-TAPE-/331858758498

The only character I remember of his was Peter Gravy (a send up of Channel Nine’s Peter Harvey I think).

I had another one that I got at an outside broadcast somewhere.

Just listening to an old recording I made 1 June 1987 when the ABC celebrated the “40th anniversary of ABC Radio’s Independent News Service” which meas this year will be the 70th. They reverted to an old news opener just for the 7:45 am news.

1 Like

Thought I’d try my first soundcloud upload :slight_smile:

This is the 40 year anniversary ABC News theme and message from 1 June 1987 recorded at 7:45am off 612 4QR - also includes (at the end) the radio news theme that was in use at the time.

5 Likes

OK radio nerds- feast your eyes on this! A bunch of old Aussie radio stickers, in high definition!

10 Likes

what an awesome collection! Thanks for showing us

Awesome collection. Thanks for sharing!

My favourite - 4NA 828

2 Likes

Except that QLD license plates never had 4 numbers in it!

Neither did Victorian ones :wink:

And I do like the TV ones that made an appearance… ATV0, GLV10…

I used to collect stickers as well but probably a decade after most of those in the video

1 Like

I remember the ‘I Love 4TO’ sticker from back in the late 70s when I was living up in Townsville then with my family.(We moved back to Brisbane early 1980 -)