Radio History

Same here, I can’t play or download them either.
That’s a real shame, there’s some great stuff on there that I’d love to hear.

2 Likes

How good was this :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Ah yes, the halcyon days of Barry Bissell on Take 40 in AM stereo!

I do miss the genuine Top 40 charts, but don’t miss having to pay $3 for a 7 inch single!

2 Likes

Brings back a lot of great memories of Stereo 10. Interesting to note the number of ads from the Gold Coast on Stereo 10. I remember at the time Stereo 10 had the most ads for the Gold Coast of any Brisbane station, no doubt due to their great reception on the coast but also the Top 40 format was absent from the local Gold Coast stations 4GG and Radio 97. Stereo 10 had quite a profile on the Gold Coast and had a part-time studio in Grundy’s.

7 Likes

Jacki Mac from Hey, Hey was at one time a part of Stereo 10.

4 Likes

Yes, she did breakfast

4 Likes

Anyone know whatever happened to Anton Vanderlely of 3XX, he and I corresponded back in the early twenty noughties, but we seemed to have lost touch around 2004. Apparently he was in hospital when a license renewal was required, where then it was snapped up by somebody else. He was one of the true gentlemen of the industry, reached out to others, and was very approachable. He invited me to supply content at the time, but as I was only starting out, I wasn’t able to offer enough content on a regular timely manner. Google revealed a few rather empty linked in profiles.

3 Likes

I know 3XX ceased around 2006 or 2007 or thereabouts, though I wasn’t in contact with anyone there, just listened online a few times. It used 1611 kHz from Hoppers Crossing (I think). From what I remember of the station, it leaned heavily towards 80s and 90s retro. I visited Melbourne at the end of 2007 (my first time driving there solo) but I can’t quite recall if it was still on air then.

2 Likes

Reckon it ended in about 2008. I remember that year 1611 was playing nothing but Paul Kelly songs on repeat for a good few weeks after the licence expired/was reallocated.

Pretty sure you’re right, 1611 came off the 3CR sticks at Hoppers.

2 Likes

Yes she was.Very busy back then ,breakfast radio Monday to Friday,then every Saturday she would fly down to Melbourne to be on ‘Hey Hey’

2 Likes

Yes correct, it did mainly focus on 80s and 90s. I remember him approaching me when I just started 2PR FM online, but then I was doing just 70s and 80s, so I wasn’t really sure if my material was going to blend with his. I moved house at the start of 2005, where it seems we both lost contact. As per 3XX, I remember it taking on My Generation with Jono, and for some reason, Samoan programming around 2006. I believed Anton tried getting quite a bit of indi music on air as well, and heavily emphasised on independent on air talent, I even think his station operated in conjunction with one of Melbourne’s TAFEs for some radio corse. My knowledge of the station is rather scattered as I was in Sydney,

1 Like

Yeah, I seem to recall tuning in during that visit in late 2007 but I’m not 100% positive. I will defer to you as a Clayton native (at that time), sweating over difficult engineering equations.

2 Likes

3XX was awesome. Lots of extended mixes of 70s, 80s & 90s. Anton used to host a lot of the shifts and he was a great talent and would fit in great at Magic. I wish Magic would adopt this format rather than playing it safe with their radio edits of songs that should be the longer versions.

3 Likes

A Q for our Sydneysiders perhaps.

For a time somewhere during the 1990s I recall hearing a foreign language station on 100.7 that could be received whenever I was in Sydney… I have a feeling it came from down Wollongong way, does anyone recall what this was and where it was from?

2 Likes

Air fm Penrith? I don’t think it was a foreign language station as such. From memory, an aspirant community station. It could have had foreign language programs, but I do remember hearing pretty much everything you’d expect on a community station - pop, dance, heavy metal, country, jazz, blues, religious and talk programs.

3 Likes

Thanks, same here, I didn’t think it was AIR FM either for the reasons like you said.

2 Likes

Could it have been Radio Hertz? A Macedonian language station operating from Wollongong. Very low power.

2 Likes

That was probably it… thanks!

3 Likes

Yes that was on down there but I never received it in Sydney. It was an LPON that used 100.7 because of WIN3 occupying 85-92 MHz.

There were also LPONs on 99.3 (Greek) and 99.7 (another Macedonian station from memory). All of these could only be received when you had direct (visual) LOS with the Illawarra Escarpment.

4 Likes

Thanks for confirming. I suspected it was a LPON, but likewise never heard from Sydney.
There’s a Macedonian (LPON) station called MAC FM on 88.0 down in the Gong. Though I’ve no idea if current owner/operator was connected with Radio Hertz or the other station you mention on 99.7 FM. Fair chance he was.

I recall hearing the 99.3 station.

3 Likes