Radio History

I listen to those airchecks through a replica boombox for the full retro experience. I don’t bother tuning the dial to the appropriate position (e.g. 1269/1270 for 2SM), though.

4 Likes

I am listening to Bass And Pilko and getting flashback to when i was a kid. I was a big fan. I still really like the show even as an adult almost 40 years later , I’d listen to the show today if it still existed.

One other observation there was a lot more live competitions during the day. Live quizzes etc, they take a call (it might not be live but it felt it). It was fun. It was not just about the music.

3 Likes

I am at the gym listening to the Frankster Archives right now!

It’s 1983 and 2UW. Sound good with a lot of light pop.

Their positioner is “Radio 11 2UW - The Amazing AM - Better Music And Now Significantly Less Commercials”

It was like they had so many good ideas for a slogan that they couldn’t choose just one.

3 Likes

I miss that. Used to love ringing in for those. Too easy for people to cheat these days with internet at everyone’s fingertips.

6 Likes

LOL Grubby’s saying they were chased by Foxes. In direct mention of their time on 101.9 The Fox before they joined Gold 104.3

4 Likes

On Bazz and Pilko did a bit of matchmaking, some random news. The traffic reports with John Costello were great.

Basically very warm and friendly and natural. I am sure if you listen to other stations during 1985 there would be some other great breakfast shows.

1 Like

Any promotion of the current-day On 365FM in Vietnam would always emphasis that. One of the aspect they heavily promoted is that most programming and call services are live.

They never hesitate to encourage listeners to call to 0826 365 365 to talk anything to the studio.

2 Likes

The XY Zoo :grin:

4 Likes

On about this day in 1989 4IP changed back to their original call sign after subsequent call sign changes to Radio 10,Stereo 10 ,then Lite and Easy 1008.from 1982 in an attempt to reclaim their glory days of high ratings.They were doomed from the start because of the juggernaut of Brisbane radio,at this time,FM 104 ,then Triple M were well on top of the ratings,And were the only commercial FM station in Brisbane. When B105 came along not long after as a 2nd commercial FM station ,4IP ratings wise were already on life support and just got worse until being purchased in late 1991 by the TAB and became 4TAB

6 Likes

I remember where their studio used to be on Coronation Drive,the one that was opened by Boy George in 1984,there’s a huge block of units there now.

5 Likes

News report on opening on TVO Eyewitness News

That opening was by Molly Meldrum - who arrived late for the ceremony.

6 Likes

3XY: The Final Hour, as played from 12.00pm on 3XY’s last day – 23 September 1991. 3XY: The Final Hour. | By Paul | Facebook

Facebook: Friends of 1420 / 1422 3XY

EDIT: Not sure if I have posted this before but it is some of the last few hours of 3XY and includes some archival material/airchecks/jingles.

Source: The 3AW Archive / Simon Owens

7 Likes

Listening to more Frankster. A tape from 1978. Someone just accidentally called 2UW to try and call Wollongong, whilst she was on the line they got a request. Might be staged? Dave Whitcomb is very warm and friendly. That sort of thing normally wouldn’t happen today with a music station.

The 80s part of radio the songs are generally very familiar, whilst in the 70s they do play some familiar music a lot of it are songs you don’t hear. I don’t recall hearing much in the mid 80s to present day. It might be just 2UW.

2 Likes

The same building, refitted as an apartment hotel.

1 Like

Is that the one on the corner of Chasely Street, opposite the Wesley?

1 Like

I think it is

3 Likes

Yes, correct @Karen_Cee1 @tamago_otoko

1 Like

I cant seem to play any of Frankster’s tapes from page 2 onwards, the file doesn’t load.
Anyone else got that issue

2 Likes

I think he has to clear old files to free up server space. Not sure if this is still the case.

2 Likes

Yeah I have an issue as well. I think he deletes them it seems.

1 Like