Radio History

And given that Australia’'s oldest station, 2BL (originally 2SB) started on 23 November 1923, we aren’t too far away from 100 years of radio broadcasting in Oz!

1 Like

Of course, thanks (and in between it was 4GGG).

1 Like

If their site was Fig Tree Pocket before Tingalpa, where was 4BC? Co sited with BK or a different site in Fig Tree Pocket?

1 Like

Am I missing something? Does not appear to be 7MMM in the radcom DB? Plans to change?

I think it’s an assumed change … since 7MMM isn’t already in use unlike NSW/VIC/QLD/SA.

1 Like

I think it will also be 70 years this year for what is now ABC Local Radio in Darwin (8DDD) but began as 5DR on 1500 kHz and then later 8DR.

Sort of related, but did 96FM change its callsign from 6NOW to 6MMM when it adopted the Triple M name in the 90s. I imagine the callsign is now changed anyway since being owned by Southern Cross and now ARN.

EDIT: apparently the callsign is still 6NOW

1 Like

4BC’s Fig Tree Pocket set up was a twin mast 5kw system but that would have been installed in the 70s. When first set up the station was at Oxley.

2 Likes

I thought MMM would be more easily recognised than 7XXX.

1 Like

What’s wrong with just saying Triple M Hobart then to avoid any extra confusion?

Yes, I think it was changed to 6MMM but I think when the station ID was changed back to 96fm, the callsign was also then changed back to 6NOW.

1 Like

Where did 4BC go after they left 43 Adelaide Street because later 4BH were there for many years.

1 Like

Didn’t 4BC go down the road to Macrossan St?

4BH went to Astor Terrace. Then co sited with QFM at Raymonds Hill North Ipswich where it went from last to almost first and sold for a massive multiple. It then co sited with KQ as ARN bought it. (did it go to Macrossan St with the sale to SCB, mental block?) Then Cannon Hill where the rack room with feed from Melbourne is.

1 Like

When were that at that address?

IIRC 4BC were at the cnr of Adelaide and Wharf from a long time - 4IP actually moved in across the road. 4BC were on the SW side of the intersection and 4IP on the SE side if that makes sense.

1 Like

Yes 4BH did end up in Macrossan St for a while before Cannon Hill

I can remember 4BH at 43 Adelaide Street in the 50s and 60s In the late 50 I went a couple of times to Rumpus Room which was in the 4BH Auditorium . In in the late 60s did an announcing course at 4BH at 43 Adelaide Street so they were there for many years.

Screen grab from EON FM TV commercial

5 Likes

The Rock Force. Great slogan.

Much better than “Hit” or “The Home of Rock, Sport and Comedy”

1 Like

“The Rock Force” sounds like a bad 80’s action movie.

2 Likes

It was the 80’s. Lot of that going around then for ‘inspiration’.

3 Likes

Radio slogans were different back then.

Most were very simple eg. “More Music 2NX” or “Better Music 6PM”

A lot emphasised the stereo sound eg. “Rock In Stereo”.

There weren’t many overly convoluted ones like we have now eg. “The Home Of Rock, Sport And Comedy” or “Your Easy Place To Relax”.

I guess that is a reflection of the multitude of today’s entertainment options.

3 Likes