Radio History

Where was 4IP transmitting from before St Helena Island?

QUIZ QUESTION

Whatā€™s so special about this sticker?

1 Like

reminds me of the old PMFM 92.9 in Perth?

5 Likes

Is it an even BIGGER coincidence that both those stations were on 92.9 as well as the similarly styled logos and station IDs?

1 Like

Although indeed that was the problemā€¦ they didnā€™t share the same freq. :slight_smile:

Now Iā€™m confusedā€¦ :confused:

2 Likes

That makes 2 of usā€¦

Northern end - same as now. 4KQ also used the same site.

<ā€” North

2 Likes

ZM Christchurch was supposed to launch on 92.9 but instead ended up on 91.3.

1 Like

And C93 ended up on 92.9.

So had it gone the other way Christchurch could have had its very own C91.3 ???

1 Like

2CH must have had very interesting conditions on its sale by the Catholic Church. Not only do they still carry Christian messages and religious programs mixed in with the music format, Iā€™m sure they would like to be ā€œMagic 1170ā€ but instead they are ā€œMagic 2CHā€ so there must be some clause preventing them from fully dropping the on-air use of the callsign.

Yes there are several conditions the Church gave when they sold 2CH including some Christian programs and segments to be aired.

If only such strict conditions applied to more radio stationsā€¦ eg 2UE.

From my understanding before St Helena was Temporarily moved to the old 4BK TX site (Not tingalpa) during the 74 floodā€¦Before that it was at Dinmore on the left side of the road heading to Toowoomba just after the Pads

3 Likes

2CH was not owned by the Catholic Church (who owned 2SM). 2CH was owned by the NSW Council of Churches, an association of Christian churches.

1 Like

Pretty sure it was Fig Tree Pocket

I recalled a bit more of what happened during the 1974 floods. All from memory: 4IP was off the air for an extended period of several days. Despite a call going out for volunteers to help save their transmitter from the flooding Bremer River, the transmitter went under. However, at the time, the station had a very large news service that included news cars for providing remote reporting etc. This sort of service was exactly what was needed at the time. The other commercials 4BK/BC/BH allowed reports from these 4IP news cars to be broadcast on their stations. It went something like ā€œ4IP broadcasting through 4BKā€¦ā€.

1 Like

I noticed on 4KQā€™s website that it started transmission in 1947 meaning it will have been on air for 70 years in May.

Thinking about other anniversaries this year and 4GG / 4GGG / 4GLD comes to mind with 50 years on air.

This is a very rough list of some other station milestones. It isnā€™t definitive and I havenā€™t checked Wikki or anywhere to confirm the dates. Also, some of the call signs might be a bit out of date :slight_smile:

90 years
27 February - 3TTT as 3DB
25 March - 5MMM as 5KA
April - 7MMM (7XXX) as 7HT

80 years - seems like 1937 was a big year for new stations.
January - 2NZ
April - 6PM
May - 3GG, 7XS, 4ZR
July - 5SE
August - 2XL
September - 2PM (aka 2MC aka 2KM), 2MW, 2EC (2BE)
October - 6GGG (6GE), 2PK

2BS - already passed the 80 year mark on 1 January as did 6GF in December.

60 years for 2VM

50 years for 4KZ, 6BE as well as 4GG

At least two FM stations started in 1977 - 7THE and 3GCR

80 years for ABC stations 2CR, 3WV and 5AN

Iā€™m sure there are some others to add to the list; any additions or corrections welcome. Note that 75 years ago was the middle of WWII so no stations with that anniversary AFAIK!

3 Likes

Did a search on Trove and found that 4KQ did a test transmission on Monday 5 May 1947. Brisbane Telegraph:

The station launched on Wednesday 7 May 1947. The Courier-Mail:

4GG became 4GLD, not 4SEA, but that doesnā€™t change their anniversary.

1 Like