Radio History

I heard a very interesting interview on Fitzy & Wippa this morning with Steven Palovic, promoter, who brought Nirvana to Australia in the early 90’s which even included Canberra.

One of his most important tasks on the Australian tour was for him to hang out, and keep a watch on Kurt Cobain to make sure he did not OD.

Where this relates to radio history is, there was only one Canberra radio interview with Nirvana, and Steven took the band into KIX 106, but the station knew nothing about it, and they were completely unprepared for the interview, this pissed off the band.

The interview was actually with FM104.7 and not KIX 106, with the band being taken to the wrong station.

At their Canberra gig Nirvana then told the crowd that KiX 106 was the worst station, and other words that if I included in this post would result in it getting flagged and pulled by the moderators. BTW the boss of KIX 106 was at the gig when the band was mouthing off about his station. Very interesting story.

Does anyone in Canberra remember this?

2 Likes

Here’s a piece about it from The Canberra Times dated 10th February 1992.

4 Likes

Thank you @TV-Expert for the corrections, I had it around the wrong way.

A great piece of Canberra radio history.

Kix106 and Fm104.7 had a similar history to 2day fm and Triple M with both hating each other to later become sister stations.

3 Likes

Lets be honest, Back in the day there was a lot more qualified and passionate broadcast engineers who cared about their craft who are gonna now.

More importantly antenna systems that are falling to bits

4 Likes

It’s 1985 and the B&T Yearbook quotes the cost for a 30 second spot on the breakfast shift (page 36 and 37) for Sydney’s commercial stations:

https://worldradiohistory.com/AUSTRALIA/Archive-B-and-T-Yearbook/B&T-Yearbook-1985.pdf

2CH: $150
2DayFM: $130
2GB: $185
2KY: $120
2MMM: $175
2SM: $140
2WS: $160

The bargain station was 2UW at only $100
And the most expensive was 2UE at $240

5 Likes

3CR broadcasting AFL Footy

4 Likes

D Generation tv commercial

4 Likes

Love that. Would love to see one from '86 or '87 to see how the rates changed.

3 Likes

Here’s a comparison of radio stations in VIC for 1980, 1985 and 1990 from the B&T yearbooks:

Some random thoughts:

• 3KZ at the time of FM conversion was charging a premium (that was clearly a big loan to repay!)
  • Easy rock => easy rates. 3XY really went backwards
  • For all the years of being the talk station leader, I thought 3AW would be charging more
  • ACE was really built off the base of buying radio’s equivalent of Old Kent Road, except for 3TR which clearly was the real money spinner
8 Likes

Here are all the B&T Yearbooks!

https://worldradiohistory.com/AUSTRALIA/Archive-B-and-T-Yearbook/

You can check out Brisbane as well.

6 Likes

Thanks Rob_Melb_AU

I love a table that shows change over time.

Ratings don’t always lead to higher rates. It so depends so much on who is listening. Are they 12, 37 or 81 years old? Do they earn $400 a week or $3000?

I would love to see the figures for 2022!

3 Likes

Grubby and Dee Dee first TV commercial for Gold 104.

5 Likes

“3KZ is Football” - Ian Major catchphrase

2 Likes

Where were they before GOLD104.3?

2 Likes

Fox FM I think, and he’d been at 3XY before that

3 Likes

101.9 Fox FM for ten years earlier.

3 Likes

I remember them playing much the same songs back then in the 70s when I was young living there with my family . I also remember receiving some Brisbane stations long distance on my old radio/cassette player at night

4 Likes

Indeed 4IP and 4KQ was like local stations on both coasts. Also on the Sunshine Coast, 4GG could be received due to the water path from the Gold Coast. And vice versa with 4NA/SS coming in on the Gold Coast in areas closest to the water.

4 Likes

I am enjoying listening to The Frankster Archieves. I listened to a clip on 2UW in 78 and 2WS in 1981. It so great to hear the ads everything. So far the audio quality is excellent.

One thing much better then was the news service. So much better than even 2GB today. No disrespect to the readers today. You can just tell they had more people in a newsroom back then. I think the turning point was in the 90s.

I know the internet has killed off the newspaper and newsroom especially at radio stations but it is nice to reflect and appreciate that some aspects were better back then (not everything).

5 Likes

I concur. Radio was a hell of a lot better back then.

3 Likes