Radio History

Great interview with Bridget Griffen-Foley on the history of Radio 2GB which commenced broadcasting 95 years ago today.

4 Likes

Some 2UW Cash Card promotions from February 1990:

5 Likes

An aircheck of 2CH from May 1988 recorded in AM Stereo has just been uploaded to @anon36025973.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing, @TV-Expert. This is taken from one of our nicest sounding AM stereo recordings. It’s just a shame that the majority of the aircheck is taken up by ‘The 9 O’Clock Special’, which was playing some pretty awful country music.

6 Likes

On This Day: 31 August 1970: Graham Kennedy, who’d resigned from hosting In Melbourne Tonight at the end of 1969, begins his next job hosting a daytime shift on 3XY, from a studio installed in his home in Frankston

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=LOFUAAAAIBAJ&sjid=v5ADAAAAIBAJ&pg=7211%2C16497

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Historical Metro Ratings

Happy Birthday to 6KG Kalgoorlie, now Triple M, as it turns 90 today.

Started in 1931 and was previouly 6KG and RadioWest.

Here’s a logo from the early 90’s.

3 Likes

Back then, 6KG was under the same ownership as 6PM/PMFM, in which they were owned by Kerry Packer. In August 1993, Packer sold both PMFM & 6KG to Jack Bendat, who owned KYFM/94.5FM. Bendat then sold 6KG to Rural Press soon after, becoming part of the RadioWest network.

3 Likes

comedian Kevin Bloody Wilson was a DJ at 6KG at one stage.

1 Like

Lightweight radio 6KG.

1 Like

I find it sad when a 90yo station hits that milestone with the ignominy of being branded Triple M.

5 Likes

It will be the same story when the station formerly known as 2GO turns 50 in November.

4 Likes

Who remembers Radio 2 from 2001?

I vaguely remember it being pretty good at the time.

6 Likes

Radio 2 started out as a local station for Western Sydney, to fill the void that was beginning to be left behind by both 2WS/WSFM & 96.1, which was in the process of moving out of the west from Seven Hills to Macquarie Park. It also coincided with the then recent launch of C91.3, a new local commercial station for Campbelltown & the Macarthur region.

In a twist of irony, a few years later, it too moved its base out of Western Sydney, becoming a national station before it went bust.

Here is their website from March 2002:
https://web.archive.org/web/20020329000949/http://www.radio-two.com.au/

5 Likes

And there was the ill fated 2GW on the old Radio 2 frequency that was launched in 2011 and barely lasted 12 months

2 Likes

Remember Traffic 1611? That was another very brief occupier of the 1611 frequency in Western Sydney. I’m not even sure if they progressed beyond a test transmission come to think of it.

2 Likes

I vaguely remember Traffic 1611. From my recollection, they played “Peg” by Steely Dan quite a number of times during their test transmission.

3 Likes

If @TV-Expert only has a vague recollection, then it must have been around for about as long as Fatty Vautin’s cricket career (that catch, though).

3 Likes

With the upcoming 4BC/4BH frequency at 8:08am on 8th October, here’s an audio of when 693kHz flipped over from Magic to 3AW back on 1st May 2006.

Credit: @Moe

6 Likes

I’m doing decals for a model of this car and need a good image of the 2GO logo under the Celica badge

2 Likes