Radio History

A post was merged into an existing topic: Historical Metro Ratings

Happy Birthday to 6KG Kalgoorlie, now Triple M, as it turns 90 today.

Started in 1931 and was previouly 6KG and RadioWest.

Here’s a logo from the early 90’s.

3 Likes

Back then, 6KG was under the same ownership as 6PM/PMFM, in which they were owned by Kerry Packer. In August 1993, Packer sold both PMFM & 6KG to Jack Bendat, who owned KYFM/94.5FM. Bendat then sold 6KG to Rural Press soon after, becoming part of the RadioWest network.

3 Likes

comedian Kevin Bloody Wilson was a DJ at 6KG at one stage.

1 Like

Lightweight radio 6KG.

1 Like

I find it sad when a 90yo station hits that milestone with the ignominy of being branded Triple M.

5 Likes

It will be the same story when the station formerly known as 2GO turns 50 in November.

4 Likes

Who remembers Radio 2 from 2001?

I vaguely remember it being pretty good at the time.

6 Likes

Radio 2 started out as a local station for Western Sydney, to fill the void that was beginning to be left behind by both 2WS/WSFM & 96.1, which was in the process of moving out of the west from Seven Hills to Macquarie Park. It also coincided with the then recent launch of C91.3, a new local commercial station for Campbelltown & the Macarthur region.

In a twist of irony, a few years later, it too moved its base out of Western Sydney, becoming a national station before it went bust.

Here is their website from March 2002:
https://web.archive.org/web/20020329000949/http://www.radio-two.com.au/

5 Likes

And there was the ill fated 2GW on the old Radio 2 frequency that was launched in 2011 and barely lasted 12 months

2 Likes

Remember Traffic 1611? That was another very brief occupier of the 1611 frequency in Western Sydney. I’m not even sure if they progressed beyond a test transmission come to think of it.

2 Likes

I vaguely remember Traffic 1611. From my recollection, they played “Peg” by Steely Dan quite a number of times during their test transmission.

3 Likes

If @TV-Expert only has a vague recollection, then it must have been around for about as long as Fatty Vautin’s cricket career (that catch, though).

3 Likes

With the upcoming 4BC/4BH frequency at 8:08am on 8th October, here’s an audio of when 693kHz flipped over from Magic to 3AW back on 1st May 2006.

Credit: @Moe

6 Likes

I’m doing decals for a model of this car and need a good image of the 2GO logo under the Celica badge

2 Likes

How’s this one?
2GO 1323

2 Likes

23 September 1991 – 30 years ago!

3XY signs off, ending 56 years of broadcasting after being bought by AWA for a reported $500,000. Only five years earlier it sold for $16 million. AWA of course brought the station back as 3EE about seven months later at a new spot on the dial. 3EE itself has had a chequered history and it’s just barely hanging in there now as Magic 1278.

I was so sad to hear XY go. I had a tape recording of the last few hours on-air but somehow it got lost in various house moves, but thankfully someone else has recorded and put an abridged version on YouTube, and the Ten News story about the station closure.

YouTube: RIEGS-TV

8 Likes

A more extensive clip of 3XY’s final day on-air has since made it online:

Everything I’ve heard about 3XY suggests that at the peak of its popularity (1970s?), it was a Melbourne institution in much the same way 2SM was here in Sydney at/around the same time period.

7 Likes

it was very much in the same league as 2SM and they were very like-minded stations, likewise with 4IP in Brisbane.

When 3AK went to Beautiful Music in 1973, XY’s ratings skyrocketed. It went from a rating of 11.8% (#5) in S1/1973 to hit #1 (18.3%) at the end of the year. It wasn’t a constant #1 but was at or near the top of the ratings until about 1983 when FM started to bite.

Its highest rating was 24.1% in S4/1975 and its last #1 was 12.3% in Survey 1/1983. In its last ratings survey (S1/1991) it rated 2.1%, in 10th place but still ahead of 3AK (Radio Italia), Radio National and ABCFM.

(in those days there were only 4 surveys a year. It increased to 8 in 1991 and for reason they had 9 surveys in 1992)

4 Likes

So interesting. 3XY’s was taken off air when it was rating 2.1%. Wow - 30 years ago today. It was great hearing Brian Mannix and his peers thanking 3XY for putting them on the charts. Nowadays FM stations barely back announce a song, let alone interview a singer. Radio (both AM and FM) had more fun in the 80s and early 90s.

No one could ever have predicted that three decades later some of the FM stations that put an end to these AM stations, would themselves be in trouble. 2DayFM is currently trying to turn a profit with a 2.6% share and 92.3 EON (now MMM) is pretending all is OK with a 4.5% share.

2DayFM is the Magic 11 that just keeps broadcasting. It’s the Lite’N’Easy that refuses to die.

4 Likes