Radio Data System (RDS)

I live in Bungendore where both 2MMM Sydney and hit 104.9 can be received, with RDS on occasion.

3 Likes

I dunno if it is TP or TA - but Triple M Melbourne light up that flag on my car radio - and occasionally it will get into a mode where no matter what I do, it will jump from any station I tune to back to Triple M.

I find myself, if I donā€™t switch to a different input, switching over to listen to Magic on AM just because it wonā€™t change bands to flip to it.

2 Likes

If TP & TA flag is set from a station & your in local reception range, it would definitely cause issue from what Iā€™ve seen demonstrated if unintentionally sent from station. TA should only be on for the duration of the Traffic Announcement. Difficult to imagine Triple M having the TA flag set permanently.

Consider downloading the RDS Spy software program if you have suitable tuner/SDR etc. One can easy fault find with this software & with sufficient study of the RDS standards etc.

3 Likes

I think I had it all set up right - but I canā€™t get enough FM signal strength to get it to decode anything - in SDR# it was reading around 30, and occasionally barely decoding the RDS info - so Iā€™m not sure if I had RDS Spy set up right and it just didnā€™t have enough signal, or I had it broken.

Is anyone else in Melbourne better set up?

2 Likes

Yes, TA should only be on when an actual announcement is being broadcast. I mentioned before that when I was driving around in Europe, there was a religious station that had TA on all the time and the car radio kept switching itself to that station (until I turned off TA/TP on the car radio). This switching happened even when listening to the Bluetooth source (as itā€™s supposed to).

If thereā€™s no regulation of RDS in Australia by the ACMA, whatā€™s to stop a station from just setting TA on all the time to get/force more people to listen? (At least for those who canā€™t figure out how to turn off TA/TP on their car radios)

4 Likes

A couple of notes follow from this:-

1. On the SDR# with ā€˜FM MPX Spectrumā€™ showing (Enable MPX checked). Is the RDS subcarrier at 57kHz clearly showing, as it should with a strong signal.
  2. What program are you using as the audio pipeline/link between SDR# & RDS Spy?
  3. If using a cheapo RTL-SDR dongle ensure gain is altered to get the best SNR & just before it starts to overload.
  4. Very important & this follows from point 1, ensure your bandwidth is at least 135kHz wide, if narrower RDS decoding will either be unreliable or wonā€™t occur.

EXACTLY. A good point. I can only imagine if a high powered FM station was doing this in a metro city there would be a tonne of complaints by both listeners & other radio stations directed at the culprit broadcast station.

2 Likes

Used ABC Classic here as itā€™s the one I have the strongest signal of, Triple M is weaker still. I donā€™t see anything obviously showing as the RDS subcarrier, but then Iā€™m not 100% sure what Iā€™m looking for here

It is however showing some RDS info on the top bar, so seems like something is getting through?

Using VB-CABLE as the connection - it looks like something is getting through to RDS Spy because itā€™s showing there is an input signal - but clearly not enough for it to do anything with.

Using a very cheap RTL-SDR dongle, not sure exactly where I should be putting the gain though, I assume itā€™d just too weak of a signal in the first place.

2 Likes

@Moe,

Okay something wrong with the config, probably with RDS Spy.
Your ā€˜Relative RDS Signal Levelā€™ should be around -25 to -35dB (not -107dB).
Check in the RDS Spy config. Go to Configure --> Sound Card & ensure
that it points to VB Cable O/P.
Soundcard Input Mode: Direct RDS/MPX 192kHz.

Also ensure control panel VB Cable setup per RDS Spy instructions etc.

BTW Use VB Cable ā€œHiFiā€ version. There are RDS decode problems with the standard version. Delete old version, restart PC & instal HiFi version (is free) & restart PC.

Bandwidth is fine.

In SDR# in menus open ZOOM FFT & tick the MPX display option. Nice to see the RDS subcarrier.

If SDR# is showing RDS internally as it is, then your signal level is fine/sufficient.

Try those tips for now :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks! This seemed to be the main issue - swapping to the hifi version and then ensuring it was all 192kHz seems to have made it all work.

So no sign of the TA flag - but Iā€™ll try and check it occasionally and see if it does ever come on.

5 Likes

@Moe that MPX Spectrum looks very strange, what do the other stations look like?

2 Likes

Excellent. Pleased to have helped. Iā€™ve actually found the HiFi version of VB cable with RDS Spy slightly more sensitive or better at RDS decodes than the inbuilt SDR# RDS decoder.
Anyway hope you have some fun with it.

Have a look at the other Melb & Geelong stations with RDS.
You might find you can help fill in some blanks to the Aust RDS List

eg PTY & PI codes for 88.3, 97.7 Melb. Determine if JOY FM has reactivated their RDS
PTY & PI for 96.3 Geelong & other stuff etc

Sounds like a good idea :slight_smile:

Have fun with RDS Spy.

1 Like

Not sure what Iā€™m looking at/for, but hereā€™s a few:

Summary

No joy except for Joy, most of those Iā€™m not getting enough of a signal from.

3 Likes

Thanks for that. Good to see RDS back on JOY & I see their changed PS.

The low powered FMers can be a tough ask for the SDR dongles. The dongle SDRs are usually an 8 bit encoder/decoder & hence have limited dynamic range etc.

Whatā€™s the story with 3MBS? Their PS used to be 3MBS FM. Now showing as ā€˜Listenā€™ or are they now using Dynamic PS?

2 Likes

Yeah, dynamic
Screenshot_28

4 Likes

Triple Mā€™s RDS in Coffs Harbour now says ā€œRockā€™s Greatest Hitsā€. Iā€™m guessing this means a permanent change in format for the regional network.

4 Likes

Listening to Mike Jeffreys on Hawksbury Gold 89.9: RDS has AF set as 91.3MHz, 91.9MHz (Method A)
I wonder where this RDS encoder came from?

4 Likes

The Triple M one the mono frequency drops off quite significantly, but I donā€™t know what the audio was at the time? It also looks like thereā€™s no Stereo sub-carrier, itā€™s levels are not much different to what Iā€™d say is the general noise floor above the 57KHz RDS sub-carrier, but again I donā€™t know what the audio was at the time?

If youā€™re looking at the MPX Spectrum, from 0Hz to roughly 16KHz is the mono audio sub-carrier, the spike at 19KHz is the Stereo Pilot, centered at 38KHz & working back towards 19KHz & up towards 57KHz is the Stereo L-R sub-carrier (with the Bass frequency at 38KHz & the high frequencies on the outsides), 57KHz is the RDS sub-carriers (should normally be 2 peaks), going further up thereā€™s normally nothing just noise, though sometimes thereā€™s another sub-carrier here for other data, such as another audio program, etc.

3 Likes

94.3 Gippsland finally has RDS.

PS ā€œHitFMā€

No RT as far as I can tell.

Iā€™m not sure if 97.9 has it or not, but I would imagine so. @mcpaton Do you have any insight into that?

6 Likes

TCBL FM station; WHCR FM, 89.9 Hawkesbury, NSW now has RDS.

PI: 264C
PTY: Easy Listening
PS: WHCR89.9
RT: Windsor Hawkesbury Community Radio

Also has AF of 91.3, 95.1 MHz.

PI & AF programming/data almost a clone of TCBL Hawksbury Gold.
Maybe RDS encoder or PC feeding TX came from same supplier/tech ?

LATE NOTE Think station might also be using RT+, not sure if configured correctly, someone closer to transmitter might be able to determine.

3 Likes

I wonder if 92.5 Triple M Gold Coast will change their format as well.

2 Likes