Radio Data System (RDS)

I know it’s been reported here before that 2UUU Nowra now has RDS, but discovered today on a drive down to Wollongong that they have song info too, though the formatting leaves a bit desired (as below). I saw some that still had the track numbers in them too. Also found that their RDS is only on 104.5,

2 Likes

Good.

RDS was also on 2UUU 92.3 last month, noted in Berry. Maybe off temporarily?
No idea about their 99.7 transmitter.

1 Like

Me neither.

I didn’t get any further south than Billy’s Lookout just north of Gerringong.

I think 99.7 was still 2SSR there.

Back in Sydney now.

1 Like

Not sure if they’ve since turned off the RDS on the other two transmitters, as I got RDS on all three of their frequencies at Kiama back in May.

On another note, the RDS indicator is showing up again for the Hawkesbury community broadcasts 89.9 MHz, but I’m not getting PS/RT.

1 Like

I recall it being discussed here in the past, but i can’t seem to find it via search.

If a station changes it’s PI code, does it mess with some radio presets? I noticed on my stereo that Coast 96.3 got removed sometime over the last few weeks, and recall reading here that the PI code changed.

Yes! but not all radios!

2 Likes

This season’s “D’oh! Award” i.e. for those Sydney FM RDS stations that forgot to change their RDS Clock Time from AEST to AEDST is shared equally between: 97.7 SBS FM & 103.2 Hope FM.
UPDATE: Hope FM updated now. So title goes to 2SBSFM.

Well done to the Sydney commercial & ABC techs who updated their RDS Clock Times.

1 Like

RDS with PS seems to be back on 89.9 “HAWKGOLD”.

1 Like

Isn’t that only from Sundays to Tuesdays (or thereabouts) when they are on air?

I’m not sure. Though this was from two hours ago (Sunday evening).

This was received right next to the water tower where 2NBC 90.1 is broadcast from, yet I had RDS + stereo on 89.9 with no adjacent-channel interference from 2NBC. Car radios nowadays seem to have excellent selectivity.

1 Like

That they do - same with most radios too - even my mini hifis have had no trouble in pulling in Mix 106.3 in clear stereo next to my local Classic FM during tropo.

I used to receive RDS from Hawksbury Gold, but no longer.
Maybe their RDS subcarrier is greatly suppressed, more than other
FM stations(?)… as I can’t see a RDS subcarrier on the MPX spectrum.
It must be down at least 35dB compared to it’s pilot carrier?
They could have also reduced their TX power or radiation pattern from the earlier days
when I previously received RDS from them…

ACMA says: above station on “from midday Saturday to midday Monday each week for the period 6 December 2018 to 5 December 2019”

2 Likes

The RDS carrier disappeared quite a while for me. Around two weeks ago it came back, but with no PS/RT. Then when I checked yesterday, the PS was back.

I don’t know if they’ve reduced power, but it seems to come in alright for me (and with RDS) – and I’m about 60km away in the southern part of Sydney. How far away are you located roughly?

3MMM Melbourne now has PTY set to “Rock Music”.

They’ve had numerous changes to their playlist in recent years but it’s always skewed towards “Rock Music” so about time.

3 Likes

What was it before?

It wasn’t set.

1 Like

I noticed that many of the stations in Melbourne don’t have a program type set, I found it odd given I think all Brisbane FMs have a program type (typically pop music, rock music (4MMM), nation music (JJJ) or varied)

3 Likes

Forgot to mention that 88.9 2BRW Braidwood has switched on RDS; RT= ‘BWD FM’.

3 Likes

I think this is new… and earth shattering news I know!

BUT…

Triple M Newcastle have added a space to their station name text.

Yes, what was TripleM is now Triple M

Hope that made your day :smile:

5 Likes

I wonder how the RDS is going to be between Triple M Sydney, Gosford & Newcastle, considering all 3 can be received in parts of all 3 areas?

How will people know which one they’re listening to on RDS radios that show the RDS name instead of the frequency, (local advertising aside).

1 Like