Radio Data System (RDS)

ABC’s code seems to have problems on 106.1 Brisbane… with RDS by Nautel :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m seeing a sequence including Slogan - artist and title - weather.

Log:

23:48:50 Walther, Jakob - 'Sonata No. 10’
23:54:09 Forecast: Monday Sunny 11 - 25
23:55:51 ABC Classic FM Where Music Lives
23:56:11 Forecast: Tuesday Mostly sunny 13 - 23
23:57:03 ABC Classic FM - Where Music Lives
23:58:19 Forecast: Monday Sunny 11 - 25
23:59:04 ABC Classic FM - Where Music Lives
00:00:12 Forecast: Tuesday Mostly Sunny 13 - 23
00:00:50 Forecast: Tuesday Mostly Sunny 13 - 23
00:01:09 Twist, Joseph - ‘How Shall We Sing In A Strange Land’

1 Like

Maybe they were stuffing with the code when I noticed

1 Like

KO and hit Newcastle now have Now Playing data on RDS…

1 Like

This is excellent news!

1 Like

And about time too!

All it took was a new building :wink:

1 Like

All I have to do now is to get NEW FM to move! Don’t like my chances though.

were you in the building on Sunday when we were all in having a play?

I harrassed poor James D so much that I think I caused his laryngitis.

[quote=“mrworldwide, post:311, topic:237”]
All it took was a new building :wink:
[/quote]And a couple of million dollars worth of new studio equipment. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Radiohead, post:312, topic:237, full:true”]
All I have to do now is to get NEW FM to move! Don’t like my chances though.
[/quote]Yeah don’t like your chances, NEWFM’s been waiting on the new studios being built for years. The DA has probably expired now, it’s been sooooo long.

Thing is, Bill owns all the stations for the real estate (more so than the actual radio stations/broadcast licences), Austereo are selling off as much real estate as they can & leasing new property (they need the money, as they’re in a lot of debt).

The new Newcastle Austereo studios were roughly $4.5 million fit-out plus the building.

The old KO/NX setup wasn’t suitable for RDS now/next, NEWFM likely just don’t want to spend the money for RDS.

1 Like

Yet community stations like your Coast FM (that would probably have a smaller budget than NEW FM) seem to be able to get some form of RDS up and running…

I think the lack of RDS is a common thing across the whole SRN/BOG network of regional FM stations, not just New FM. Of course I can’t speak for every FM station across the Super Radio Network, but all the ones I’ve come across so far don’t do RDS.

Do I agree that it’s pretty slack for this day and age? Yes. Do I think RDS will realistically be implemented on SRN/BOG regional stations anytime soon? Probably not.

Fixing the audio glitches on their Sydney DAB+ stations probably should be a bigger priority for the network, because that actually affects the listenability of their stations (yes, even moreso than the low bitrates) unlike the lack of RDS regionally.

Haha yeah I was there Friday through Monday in the Harbour room with the guys…

awesome, thanks so much for all of your help. Everything went relatively smoothly! :slight_smile:

Happy to help! Hopefully the phone issue has been resolved!

SRN dont have many techs and the ones they have are probably either that busy or dont care

1 Like

can you fly back down? Wasn’t working last night or this morning on either station in my cars - d’oh!

1 Like

Still nothing this arvo either.

KO’s RDS has disappeared completely, and Hit still has station name and positioner info only.

Wha!?
I’ll see what I can see remotely

thanks Mc!

I noticed on Wednesday it wasn’t there - I’ll email ya

1 Like