Radio Data System (RDS)

Why don’t they just roll it out progressively nationwide as the techs visit sites

3 Likes

Why would they need another trial!? :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Hopefully this time it’s permanent.

2 Likes

Just checked 98.9 and I don’t see any RDS on that Frequency here and yes I am still at home.
Was it only for an hour or two perhaps?

2 Likes

This signal appears to be weaker than usual late tonight, too weak for me to
detect any possible RDS.

Still on RDS. 90.1 2NBC changed their RDS RT messages to lower case. :slightly_smiling_face:

They have switched it off again, it was on Tuesday morning when I was flicking channels so obviously still trialing.
Also tbe wall jack where my hifi connections to the outdoor fm has broken off so I am now using an indoor fm cord antenna.

Still can get all the Wollongong fm stations strong enough for Classic, Triple J, and i98 to get an RDS decode. Central Coast Fm stations are just above the noise floor.
Surprisingly 2ST is received better then with the dx setup, and even decoded an RDS signal at reduced power.

Highlands fm also received now in stereo as cable is going vertically up the wall. No signal with dx setup and amp because of the horizontal polarity of my fm antenna.

1 Like

Somethings up with triple j WA this afternoon. So far as RDS, only a PS on 99.3 triple j Perth. The audio has very narrow band width. Same on my local triple j 94.1 Bunbury and 98.9 Geraldton.

2 Likes

I’ve been periodically seeing this on ABC Classic & Triple J across other city sites over past few weeks, i.e. only Group 0A sent. Usually reverts back to usual with other usual Group output within days. Not sure why this happens…

1 Like

Come to think of it, I have seen this on triple J Perth before too. ABC Classic 97.7 Perth ok today.

As for the audio quality, the triple J WA tunein stream sound the same as FM, worse on FM mono. Something must be up with the WA time delay server. I wonder if that is located in Perth or at ABC master control.

1 Like

I suspect the time delay is done out of master control (Sydney or Melbourne?) as additional content would need to inserted or deleted to adjust for the start and end of DST in the east (and for when events like the Hottest 100 is live nationally on Triple J).

1 Like

I would suspect the same. Then all services uplinked to satellite as one. I guess we could assume RT data and time also originate from Sydney or Melbourne as well. Would be an awesome facility to see!

Meanwhile, unfortunate partial RDS on 96.1 FM Perth…

1 Like

100.9 Connect FM have made further recent changes to their RDS output.

Their RDS subcarrier reduced from a figure of -26dB FS to -42dB FS
PS changed from CONNECTFM to CONNECT
PTY changed from Culture to Pop Music
RT changed from: 100.9 CONNECT FM
to: CONNECT 100.9 FM Connecting The Community

It’s possible the bandwidth reduced a bit, but not too sure.

Another Sydney community FM radio station has joined the RDS battalion.

Checkout 99.7 2SSR. The station is currently broadcasting with a high RDS subcarrier level, such that even with a noisy signal you’ll likely still get a RDS decode (for the moment at least). :slight_smile:

A problem for dxers is that 99.7 Hit Griffith is using the same PI code. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

3 Likes

That’s a problem here where (s)hit is the dominant cat on 99.7. I have received 2SSR once or twice from Bungendore but it struggles to get over Screama from Newcastle (they are usually both enhanced at the same time).

1 Like

I’m surprised Griffith makes it into Bungendore.

In my experience even Hit 93.1 Wagga isn’t great even atop Mt Ainslie.

1 Like

Aircraft scatter. It can also be quite strong via tropo.

2 Likes

A few RDS observations from WA -
6iX 105.7 Rockingham PTYN is… 6IX

96FM CT now has an accurate time source, but no UTC offset defined, making the time 8 hours precisely slow.

DBCR 102.1 RT message now ‘Donnybrook 102.1’, removing reference to Bailingup 98.5. Potentially meaning Bailingup 98.5 has RDS - further investigation required.

And this morning a Hit station on 100.5. …which one, Bridgetown or Narrogin? Bridgetown is closer to me but heard an ad for a Narrogin business.
PS Hit100.5
PI 600B
PTY Pop Music
RT - Title - Artist
Just Played - Title - Artist
Your #1 Hit music station

I seam to recall Hit Bridgetown has no radio text.

3 Likes

Good to read your updates.

Narrogin transmitter site is higher elevation than Bridgetown.
You can also do a elevation path profile in Google Earth between your listening location & transmitter sites that might help determine likely reception under usual conditions.
Additionally there’s a unconfirmed PI of 600B for Narrogin in our AUS RDS List.
Bridgetown PI code hasn’t been confirmed by anyone yet…

One update from me:-

SYDNEY: 92.1 2MFM has changed their RT message.
Now displaying as:
2MFM Muslim Radio - Culture and Language
and
PTY changed to: Culture (PTY code 7)

3 Likes

It’s interesting they are both still using 100.5

I think the co-channel was a legacy from the old VHF 3 and VHF 5 analogue TV era. Certainly plenty of scope to change it now.

I recall ACMA even wanted to put these services (as they were S39 supplementary’s for 6BY and 6NA) on AM originally!

2 Likes

I did that a few weeks ago, to match their DAB, was wondering how long it’d take someone to notice, also did a very minor change to Koori to also match their DAB, I think I left 2OOO the same.

3 Likes

Odd that they put Bailingup on 98.5 as well…surely it must get put in the shade by Sonshine FM in tropo events.

I’m assuming Bridgetown and Narrogin aren’t in an SFN…it wouldn’t be the first SFN on 100.5 (over east, it’s 2RPH).

1 Like