Radio Data System (RDS)

It’s sure is politics, petty politics, lots of pointless point scoring and not enough focus on the real needs - what the community needs serving for.

1 Like

RDS from a couple of Victorian Triple M’s today - the former 3BO looks just as strange as it did before!

Now

Previously

Sunrasia by contrast

1 Like

Some new RDS entries for me, thanks to the Townsville e-Skip received earlier today here in Newcastle (as per posts in the AM/FM DX thread).

And below, all those Ms look a bit weird… I think 100.7 MMM would have been better.
Not sure what they’ve done on 106.7… That doesn’t come in strong enough here in Newcastle very often.

2 Likes

From Melbourne - new for me as SBS doesn’t have RDS in Brisbane.

1 Like

Another version of a HIT ID from Mt Gambia received today

MixxFM Horsham is one of those stations that tries to deliver a message along with the station name - "Nothin’ but the hits MixxFM.

1 Like

Thanks to a tip from @4TAB-1008kHz RDS from 95.5 Wide Bay

Alt Freq listed are 97.5 and 99.9 in Central Qld.

Text includes
95.5 Bundaberg - 1161kHz Maryborough - 94.3 Gladstone - 88.0 Her
Next to go - XT4 Gavle – CT4 Chateaubriant – PG8 Cannington
http://ubet.com or telephone 13UBET Gamble Responsibly
Join John McCoy and Peter Psaltis for UBET Breakfast from 5am

2 Likes

2NUR FM’s RDS has gone AWOL lately.

Theirs was similar to Mixx FM Horsham that @TV.Cynic posted in that everything (including song title info) was all on the line.

1 Like

Beat me to it; I had RadioTAB RDS from Bundaberg during the Es opening on Sunday. Apparently, RadioTAB Gladstone (94.3) also runs RDS but I didn’t catch it. The only other TAB station with RDS that I know of is 92.4 from Kaitaia; it’s RDS reads “TAB MTA”- “MTA” standing for the transmitter location at Mount Maungataniwha.

1 Like

According to info from @4TAB-1008kHz RDS also available through Rockhampton on 99.9 and Blackwater on 97.5.

And yet, I don’t think any of our SKY Sports Radio transmitters here in NSW (our 4TAB equivalent) runs any RDS.

Do any of the RSN TXs in Victoria run RDS?

RDS has been installed at Bundaberg 95.5, Gladstone 94.3 and Rockhampton 99.9.
Blackwater 97.5 and Emerald 95.5 are planned for installation in March 2017.

2 Likes

Go you good thing. What’s involved to install, done along with routine maintenance?

Song info has now been added to the Port Macquarie MMM 100.7 and HIT 102.3 stations.

Previously song info was only available on their Kempsey (105.1 and 106.7) transmitters.

The letters MNC have also been added to the HIT RDS station name.

And in Newcastle, 2NUR FMs RDS is now back on.

3 Likes

One for the “weird” RDS files…

On Sunday, whilst in the car in the Newcastle CBD, I came across a blank carrier signal on 89.5.
It had the following alternating text on the first line:

“BT On”
“PwrDwn”

(which I assumed to mean “Bluetooth On”, “Power Down”)

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Possibly a cheap Chinese hands free unit.

A really cretinous question- has anyone entertained the possibility of RDS on (Australian) MW? I know they have it in the US with IBOC. I’m assuming the bandwidth is too small to support it absent technological improvements such as IBOC.

RDS as a standard would not work on AM… there was a system proposed and tested but I dont think it got off the ground.

I cant remember what the name of it was… dig around google and youll find it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Google for AMSS (AM signalling system). As I understand the US RDBS standard also was supposed to allow for AMRDS using the CQUAM system (also being the version of AM Stereo used in Australia in the 80s and 90s).

Like AMAX (basically maximising the band usage of AM on both receivers and transmitters) and AM Stereo, AMSS is well a nice idea but struggling from any wide scale manufacturer support…

1 Like

C91.3FM now has station name RDS !!

It appears as in bold above.

Doesn’t appear as though there’s any song or other info yet, but it’s a start :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

…and with that, I believe New FM is now the last commercial FM station broadcasting in the wider Newcastle/Sydney/Wollongong corridor not to use RDS in some form or another.

But of course, I certainly won’t be holding my breath for any SRN/BOG FM stations to get RDS anytime soon!

1 Like