Racing Radio

Much of the output, particularly after dark on Sky Sports Radio is now a simulcast of Sky Racing’s TV audio.

TabCorp has been floating the idea of a national wagering pool for a while now. And are hoping it might be happening by the middle of this year (as reported here). This means that essentially it could make some financial and operational sense to merge the SKY/RadioTAB networks together to create a single output - if the information stream to punters across most of the country is the same.

Perhaps the redundancy of Shawn Cosgrove is a sign of a step towards that direction?

2 Likes

Musical tragedy unfolding in Brisbane today, after what feels like its longest run, the 4IP music on 4TAB 2 on digital is over for its ‘Christmas’ run.

The random selection has been wide and varied, seemed more tracks than before,

Thank you to @4TAB-1008kHz for the long run this time.

4TAB 2 has returned its usual Radio TAB simulcast.

4 Likes

Yet no one mentioned my new news theme. Disappointing! :wink:

2 Likes

@4TAB-1008kHz ok, yes, had heard the news theme (it’s 1am, trying to be brief before sleep). Very impressed at the inclusion of news bulletins and the faux time pips were a great slice of the era.

Your challenge for next time is time out to the hour, have the time pips align. Is that possible?

3 Likes

Anything is possible…

1 Like

Great! That’s what I love to read.

1 Like

Still no change, but given the music loop gives off elevator vibes I’ve thought up a great branding strategy.

3UZ Muzak.

3 Likes

I think its already been done (with almost the same spelling)…

3 Likes

Not happy with the racing stories on 4TAB today. Where is the wall to wall music for Good Friday?

1 Like

Seems RadioTAB and Sky Sports Radio are now sharing some of the National Racing Service programming. Noticed the same presenter across both networks tonight. Makes sense given that TabCorp is generally sharing the same wagering site these days. But still might be confusing for some punters though with the odds and dividends being different in NSW compared to the combined UBET pool.

5 Likes

Hutchy’s sniffing around RSN again. Would the 927am frequency be better than 1116 when it comes to interference? I know the static on 1116 outside their old studious in Richmond was intolerable. Could he be angling for a swap like AW and Magic did?

2 Likes

927 would be gold compared to 1116 I reckon.

But there’s going to have to be some sort of rationalisation between SEN and RSN one would think. Not sure there is a market to sustain both of them, especially since SEN started up its own racing outlet, and IIRC RSN has also lost the Tasmania market which is now covered by RadioTAB.

2 Likes

You would think if SEN acquires RSN that:

1. SEN moves to 927AM;
  2. SEN Track moves to 1116AM. Making the transition would be RSN’s rolling racing coverage + associated shoulder programming along with some of SEN Track’s current programs; and
  3. 1278AM once again becomes SEN+ and is used as an overflow station for both SEN and SEN Track (eg; SEN Track’s ‘Saturday Trackside’ program could continue airing on 1594AM as a ‘light-hearted’ alternate to the main racing coverage on 1116AM)

Do you mean 1594 or whatever end of dial frequency SEN Track currently is? Not sure where the Magic 1278 link comes in.

1 Like

1278AM? I don’t remember that ever being SEN+ in Melbourne.

1377AM was SENTrack for a while, before being sold to ACE Radio for their relaunch of 3MP.

1593 is the current frequency of SENTrack in Melbourne, just for the record.

Anyway, it’ll be interesting to see if SEN acquires RSN. Although I do wonder whether Tabcorp (owners of the racing stations in most other states/territories, Sky Sports Radio + RadioTAB) is also likely to be interested in RSN.

1 Like

While I get the interest in the licence don’t really see how the RSN programming fits with the SEN / Track product. It would need a different branding. Sood good suggestions above.

Maybe the new RSN could be the Bensley show (instead of the RSN breakfast) followed by live racing and as mentioned above the rest of SEN Track on the app or off frequency stations.

I get a bit confused with racing coverage but it would seem to make more sense for TapCorp to buy it.

3 Likes

The other possible out for SEN is to go into a joint-venture with Tabcorp that consolidates SEN Track, RadioTAB and Sky Sports Radio into one brand.

1593 AM is a narrowcast station so would have to either remain with a racing format or some other narrowcast format (eg. LOTE programming, country music, dance music). Could see the return of Niche/Rete Italia or even Rythmos to AM in Melbourne?

6 Likes

Or could we see what 2GB/2UE did, and combine the best racing/sport content to one frequency and launch a low cost music format on the other commercial frequency? (927 and 1116).

Any overflow racing-sport content to go on 1593…

Yep - was thinking of 1377 (don’t know why I typed 1278) but forgot SEN Track moved to 1594