Racing Radio

If 3UZ was to go music again, that could pave the way for 1377 or another ststion to pick up racing and link in with those naroowcast licenses.

1 Like

3UZ and all the narrowcast licenses they use are owned by the three Victorian racing bodies. It’s very unlikely they’d sell and lose control of their content.

3 Likes

4TAB has been off air on digital this afternoon.

All services, RadioTAB, 4TAB 2, 4TAB 3 were off air.

Returned about an hour ago with what sounds like an AC current interfering with the audio.

I’m sure @4TAB-1008kHz has been onto this unexpected Sunday work :slight_smile:

Analogue services were on air when I checked around 2pm.

2 Likes

With the widespread outage of the TAB wagering throughout the afternoon, presenters on RadioTAB, RSN and Sky Sports Radio haven’t had much dividends or betting pool information to read out due to low betting pool numbers.

Any information they have had was based on the pool and market that was available at the time of the crash, so some have very low numbers. So this has generally lead to a few extra ads plus more pre-race commentary from the track.

The evenings presenter on RSN also just mentioned they have also had to share their audio feed with Sky Racing for the race broadcasts today too.

2 Likes

What was the reason for that?

Isn’t the national racing service a sharing of resources with callers at tracks in each state supplied to all other racing stations? Or does RSN use their own for all Aus races?

I assume there is an audio link at each track which sends back to a host broadcaster.

When you listen to RadioTAB particularly on weekends - they’ll do quick market previews with the racecaller at the key Brisbane and Adelaide racing events a few minutes prior to each race.

Maybe @4TAB-1008kHz could explain the setup?

1 Like

Essentially that’s how it works.
The host Radio Broadcaster usually has a backchannel to the racecaller for crosses but this isn’t the case in all circumstances.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Radio Sport Asterisk? Or will it challenge Hutchy’s empire?

Will be interesting to see whether RSN appears in any future Shepparton or Ballarat surveys (where they own commercial licences rather than HPONs)

1 Like

the last time RSN (3UZ) was measured in a ratings survey it scored 0.6 (Survey 1/2004), having dropped from 1.6 in Survey 3/2003. Seemingly the drop could have been largely attributed to the debut of SEN.

Be interesting to see how it sits, 17 years later

2 Likes

Speaking of RSN, sounds as though the TAB Live channel on DAB+ and online is no longer taking the Sky Racing 1 TV feed and is playing music instead :thinking:

I’d probably expect RSN 927 to rate somewhere around the 1-1.5% mark (similar to Sky Sports Radio here in Sydney), could potentially get a higher share than the current incarnation of Magic 1278.

ACE Radio/3MP, the ball is now in your court! :wink:

Still a music loop, in glorious 24kbps :face_vomiting:

Wonder what the plan is here?

2 Likes
2 Likes

What did Shawn Cosgrove do at Sky Racing? V/O?

He lives in Melb is that right?

So this was for the station formerly known as 2KY? Don’t think I’ve heard him on 4TAB, then again, I don’t listen much!

1 Like

I must admit when I saw him mention Sky Racing, I was not clear if he meant Sky Racing (e.g. 2KY, etc) or Sky Racing (TV). So I’m not sure what exactly he did. He may have been anchoring coverage.

Not sure if he still lives in Melbourne.

1 Like

Even after so many years, surely I can’t be the only one who instantly associates Shawn Cosgrove with the phrase “Come on down!”? :slight_smile:

IIRC he was on a Sky Sports Radio show or two at some point, but not any of the higher profile ones.

As for how long Shawn Cosgrove been at Sky for, since at least 2013. Possibly longer, although happenings at that network aren’t too high on my media radar.

2 Likes

Might get a start at SEN Track, he is a good operator

1 Like

According to the still to be updated Sky Racing Team page - he was “…on Sky Sports Radio as host of Racing HQ every Tuesday, and on the National Racing Service team.”

2 Likes

Whenever i flicked through the radio stations, he was the anchor for their racing coverage late mornings/early afternoons. He would read odds, results, scratchings, cross to the different tracks etc.

2 Likes