Racing Radio

The VAFA is new to RSN - was on Inner FM Community Radio for 20+ years but has now switched to RSN’s Carnival 1 channel.

For the VFLW it’s now in it’s third year with RSN. On Carnival 1 for the first two years, and now moved to Carnival 2 for this year (and perhaps onwards).

2 Likes

Yes to the VFLW matches and the Women’s footy mid-week show (6pm to 7.30pm part of Wednesday nights). We do it as volunteers under our WARFRadio.com banner.

4 Likes

Terry Kennedy is departing Sky Radio’s Big Sports Breakfast after 18 years.

2 Likes

I suppose now with MSR they have a bit of a benchmark that they must reach.

That’s if MSR remains long term.

Sky exists because of Tabcorp’s intrinsic need for racing content that leverages its betting revenue, different to the business model of MSR which is advertising between program, with racing radio, the races are the advertising, essentially.

4 Likes

Last survey they rated higher at breakfast than MSR.

https://forums.mediaspy.org/t/metro-radio-ratings-survey-6-2019/11029/17?u=motosenokia

3 Likes

Cup Week Radio has taken the place of RSN Carnival on DAB+ in Melbourne.

3 Likes

So it’s on DAB+ on RSN’s allocation?

Yes, has appeared in place of RSN Carnival. Short label is Cup Week. RSN Carnival 2 has reverted to simulcasting RSN 927 - IIRC it normally simulcasts RSN Carnival but opts out for VFLW coverage

The schedule on RSN’s website suggests opt-outs daily between 1pm and 11pm. https://www.rsn.net.au/programs/cup-week-radio/

1 Like

Thanks @AustralianAerial. What are the opt outs? For race calls?

1 Like

Race calls and the odd discussion/analysis show. There’s also a Network 10 racing podcast that gets an airing in evenings.

1 Like

A concerning development for Sport 927:

Only recently CEO of Crocmedia, Craig Hutchison , revealed that he was in talks with Racing Victoria for rights to launch a dedicated racing radio station.

More diversity in radio at threat. Could free up a new format for Melb on 927.

Is it considered that 927 are under performing and that others can do it better?

At this rate, Hutch will talk WA and 4TAB and 2KY out of doing their own broadcasts too.Bleak future if realised.

1 Like

Not so sure about the others, but I think it’d take an offer that Tabcorp simply couldn’t refuse for them to sell 2KY/Sky Sports Radio.

1 Like

I don’t think the races are long enough for all of the sponsors Crocmedia would want to fit in.

5 Likes

Talking to Racing Vic only. Let’s just hope it doesn’t result in a split of racing rights between two stations, like the Sky Channel vs Racing.com debacle we have on TV

2 Likes

Don’t racing Victoria already own RSN 927?

Owned by a variety of racing bodies - Greyhound, Harness etc

1 Like

So part owner then along with HRV and GRV then. What would they see in Crocmedia’s idea of a second station? Are RV that strong to go it alone?

1 Like

…or remember back when some other company tried taking on Sky Channel quite a few years back (or is that Racing.com?)

1 Like

Yes sorry, I should have mentioned TVN, the original breakaway racing network

3 Likes