PVR or Catch-Up Services

Good luck… I also have a 10 year old Panansonic 500 GB HDD Twin Tuner PVR with Blu Ray player/recorder which has been fantastic, but have also been wondering whether I should get a new one given the dwindling options that are now on the market before they all go extinct. And that the 0 key on the remote has stopped working!

I watch all my TV through it (I never use the TV’s tuner) as the option to rewind when I might missed something is just so handy!

2 Likes

So after getting frustrated with the lack (and very simplistic) functionality with the Panasonic (compared to my previous Topfield PVR), I have purchased a refurbished Topfield model from online, which I had delivered a few days ago. Time will tell how much mileage I will be able to get out of it, but if I can get at least 5 years I will be happy. I am already breathing easier with the greater ease of use lol.

I still have a use for the Pano elsewhere so that won’t end up in storage just yet.

2 Likes

I picked up a Pana from JB last year (Black Friday sale from memory) for a really good (advertised) price. I don’t need it yet, but have it for when my current one decides to curl it’s toes and there’sno options down the track. Already chewed through 3 others but in saying that I did give them a flogging. Still have them stored as I can still access stuff on the HDD, it’s usually the tv tuner that goes on them.

4 Likes

Saw Panasonic have a sale on PVRs, so i bought this one that does the lot… plays all discs including 4K Blu Ray with a twin tuner 2TB drive… was $315 off regular price, so i couldn’t resist!

Works well so far

1 Like

I wonder if Panasonic will release new models of PVRs in the future. The model on special first came out in 2021.

1 Like

Agree, that was part of the reason why I bought one, as the number of PVR manufacturers has dwindled as viewers migrate to streaming and catch up services instead of using PVRs. Samsung, Pioneer and Topfield no longer sell them in Australia. I did wonder how long it will be before they disappear altogether.

Can anybody help me out it’s driving me nuts I brought a Panasonic PVR in 2017 and it’s been working well except the STB schedules it’s own recordings and it drives me nuts. Is there anyway to stop the STB recording it’s own programs.

2 Likes

I’m not at home right now, but there might be an option to do a factory reset? You’ll probably lose all recordings and settings.

Or I can have a look at my Panasonic when I get home on Monday as they all have pretty similar menus and see what other options there are.

1 Like

Yeah it’s so random nobody I know has this trouble I’ve even tried looking at forums and nothing.

2 Likes