Pulse

###Pulse

A high-flying financial analyst had it all before a failing kidney landed her at death’s door, and a transplant offered her a second chance. Inspired by the man who saved her life, Frankie alters course to become a doctor herself, working and learning in the high stakes, high pressure world of the cardio-thoracic and renal wards of a major teaching hospital.

Along with her colleagues, both friends and rivals alike, Frankie must face the political, personal and professional realities of working at the coalface of an ailing medical system. But for Frankie especially, a hospital can be a dangerous world. Though uniquely qualified to understand her patients, as a transplant recipient she is also vulnerable to infection, and her compassion for others may just endanger her own life.

Frankie’s determination to succeed takes her on a rollercoaster ride from terror to triumph, from heartbreak to happiness, from fragility to strength. She’s driven to use her second chance to save others, but learns that’s not always possible, and when you can’t save the very person who saved you, sometimes the real gift is in letting go.

Production credits: Producer – Clandestine Beyond. Funding Partners – Screen Australia / Screen NSW / ABC Commercial

Runs for: Eight x 1 hr episodes on ABC TV and iview

They had announced this back in September. Why do they announce it again now? Not criticising. Just wondering what the difference is.

I think what happened was that the funding was announced last year by Screen Australia but ABC didn’t announce it as it was missing from their 2017 slate until now.

1 Like

The Sunday Telegraph has revealed some of the main cast: Claire van der Boom (Rush, Sisters of War, Hawaii Five-O), Andrea Demetriades (Janet King), Owen Teale (Game of Thrones), Liam McIntyre (Spartacus: War of the Damned) and Penny Cook. Filming starts tomorrow.

###Outstanding cast announced for new ABC drama Pulse

Claire van der Boom (Sisters of War), Andrea Demetriades (Janet King), Owen Teale (Game of Thrones), Liam McIntyre (Spartacus: War of the Damned), Susie Porter (Puberty Blues), Arka Das (Top of The Lake), Penny Cook (A Country Practice), Blessing Mokgohloa (Hunters), Pallavi Sharda (Lion) and Renee Lim (Please Like Me) star in ABC’s new medical drama PULSE, which goes into production in Sydney today.

Inspired by a true story of a transplant patient who became a doctor, PULSE, created by Kris Wyld, Michael Miller and Mel Hill, is a high stakes drama set in and around the transplant unit of a busy western suburbs teaching hospital. When successful high-flier Frankie Bell (Claire van der Boom) is brought crashing to earth by chronic kidney failure she targets an alternate future. Eight years on she is in her second year as a practising doctor starting her first day in a renal rotation. Driven to use her second chance to save others, Frankie must confront an ailing health system, and face her toughest challenge – learning to let go.

Produced by Clandestine Beyond, PULSE is produced by Kris Wyld and Antony I Ginnane with Beyond Entertainment’s David Ogilvy and Ron Saunders and the ABC’s Sally Riley and Kym Goldsworthy as executive producers. Written by Kris Wyld, Michael Miller, Kristen Dunphy and Mandy McCarthy, PULSE is being directed by Peter Andrikidis, Jennifer Leacey and Ana Kokkinos.

Producers Kris Wyld and Antony I Ginnane said "We have assembled an exciting and diverse world class cast for Clandestine TV’s first drama. PULSE will provoke and confront while tugging at your heartstrings.”

Beyond Entertainment’s Head of Fiction and PULSE Executive Producer David Ogilvy said: “Beyond is thrilled to be returning to scripted drama with Clandestine TV, a brilliant cast and creative team, and the inspirational stories of doctors surviving a life and death world.”

ABC’s Head of Scripted Production Sally Riley said, “With an extraordinary true story as inspiration and starring two of Australia’s finest young female actors, PULSE will rivet audiences with the life and death decisions faced daily by a group of young medical interns still grappling with the meaning of their own lives.”

Produced in association with Screen Australia and Screen NSW, PULSE is a Clandestine Beyond production for ABC, with international sales being handled by ABC Commercial.

###Premieres Thursday 20 July

PULSE stars Claire van der Boom (Sisters of War), Andrea Demetriades (Janet King), Owen Teale (Game of Thrones), Liam McIntyre (Spartacus: War of the Damned), Arka Das (Top of The Lake), Pallavi Sharda (Lion), Blessing Mokgohloa (Hunters), Susie Porter (Seven Types of Ambiguity), Dalip Sondhi, Penny Cook (A Country Practice) and Renee Lim (Please Like Me).

A high-flying financial analyst had it all … before failing kidneys landed her at death’s door, and a transplant offered her a second chance.

Inspired by the man who saved her life, Frankie (Claire van der Boom) alters course to become a doctor herself, working and learning in the high stakes, high pressure world of the cardio-thoracic and renal wards of a major teaching hospital.

Along with her colleagues, Lou (Andrea Demetriades) and Tabb (Arka Das), Frankie must face the political, personal and professional realities of working at the coalface of an ailing medical system.

But for Frankie especially, a hospital can be a dangerous world. Though uniquely qualified to understand her patients, as a transplant recipient she is also vulnerable to infection, and her compassion for others may just endanger her own life.

Frankie’s determination to succeed takes her on a rollercoaster ride from terror to triumph, from heartbreak to happiness, from fragility to strength. She’s driven to use her second chance to save others, but learns that’s not always possible, and when you can’t save the very person who saved you, sometimes the real gift is in letting go.

Produced by Clandestine Beyond, PULSE was produced by Kris Wyld and Antony I Ginnane with Beyond Entertainment’s David Ogilvy and Ron Saunders and the ABC’s Sally Riley and Kym Goldsworthy as executive producers. Written by Kris Wyld, Michael Miller, Kristen Dunphy, Mandy McCarthy and Mel Hill, PULSE was directed by Peter Andrikidis, Jennifer Leacey and Ana Kokkinos.

Photos here.

Sounds shit. Exactly how many cliches can you shove into one drama?

Passionate, young sexy doctor. Tick.
Slutty best friend. Tick.
Newbie intern desperate to earn approval. Tick.
Plucky young doctor that cares for her patients. Tick.
Bitch boss. Tick.
All doctors, token nurse. Tick.

Honestly ABC get some new ideas instead of stealing ‘inspiration’ from that that Melissa George abomination Heartbeat.

Show will flop.

I notice from the preview that this is presented with black bars (not sure of the actual aspect ratio). I don’t see the point for a television medical drama 95% of which is set inside a hospital; what’s the purpose?

All new series seem to be produced in that aspect now. Even wider screen TVs coming?

Just noticed The Family Law is a show already broadcasting like this.

1 Like

Yes - I had noticed that. Not sure why a medical drama like Pulse would need this treatment.

As I said. I think everything will start being recorded in that format now for future use/sales etc. It might take a while for some shows but eventually they will all do it. Whether they screen all shows in that format though, is a different story.

X Files, which was produced back in the 1990s, filmed the show in 16:9 because they knew it was coming, but framed the action in 4:3 for screenings back then. The great thing about that is, it can now be screened in the widescreen without annoying black bars and the show can find new audiences.

ABC will launch Pulse at next month’s MIPCOM market at Cannes. Stars Claire van der Boom and Pallavi Sharda will be in Cannes to walk the red carpet, before later joining producers Kris Wyld and Antony Ginnane for a special screening and Q&A session to take place in the Palais des Festivals on Tuesday October 17.
The show struggled for ratings here in Australia, will overseas networks be interested in showing it?

I doubt it. I watch it but it’s nothing to write home about.