Public Transport

They still do. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just looking at the timetable, the first train will leave Tallawong at 11:05am on the first Sunday. On a normal weekday the first train leaves Tallawong at 4:45am.

Melbournian here, so I’m a bit ill-informed on the Sydney Metro, but what differentiates it from the existing train network?

The Metro are driverless single deck trains on their own dedicated line that doesn’t connect to the Sydney/NSW Trains network. In theory there is no timetable, with trains arriving every 3 to 10 mins depending on the time of day.

2 Likes

First day drama for Sydney Metro

2 Likes

Slight drama, but really a non-issue. The trains got back on schedule relatively quickly despite some of the teething problems.

Most of them where ancillary features which had failed - most noticeably the door opening/closing warnings and next stop announcements were not working at all. The passenger information display did not work properly on the trip from Tallawong to Chatswood, but seemed to be working on the train going back to Tallawong.

On the entire return trip from Tallawong to Chatswood and back (on 2 different trains), the audio announcements and door closing warnings only worked once at Rouse Hill station. They also glitched out at Chatswood and told people to exit on the wrong side of the train. There were murmurs in the carriage about being worried about the computer controller train not knowing where it’s located on the network (and crashing through the buffers at the end of the line).

The most noticeable problems were the trains overshooting the platforms slightly so that the doors were not in alignment with the platform screens, but unlike heavy rail trains…the computer controlled trains were usually able to reverse almost immediately to stop in the correct position, albeit with no warning to passengers - I almost fell down after the train overshot at Tallawong and reversed immediately after stopping. Even after all that, the train was still a metre or two out of whack with the platform screen doors. That being said, the service still departed on schedule.

4 Likes

We caught it between Rouse Hill and Castle Hill and back. The first train that arrived at Rouse Hill was too crowded so we waited for the next one which was ok. The ride was smooth and I was surprised at how fast it travelled. It still has that new train smell.

The return journey saw the first train not stop at the correct place, it tried to reverse and still could not get it right after a few minutes so it just left. The next train was very crowded. The doors snapped shut behind my son, and a father was separated from his family as he was left on the platform. There were more stopping errors at Norwest or Bella Vista, but people could still disembark. Kellyville had stopping errors that it couldn’t resolve so it just skipped the stop, causing confusion for the many people preparing to get off there. Rouse Hill also overshot the stop, but we did manage to get off eventually. Hopefully most trips are like the first.

Tallawong carpark also looked full, so not optimistic about my husband’s commute tomorrow.

3 Likes

I saw the reports on the news about it, looked like a LOT of people were queuing up for their proverbial free ride.

Did you or @mubd have to wait for long to get on a train?

2 Likes

My sons are train fans so we were always going to try it out today.

I think we waited about 20 minutes at each stop, only because we didn’t get on the first train that arrived both times. We had heard about the queues at Chatswood so decided not to travel that far.

2 Likes

I queued for about 30 minutes (wanting to get the first train) at Tallawong at 10:30am. The return trip from Chatswood at 11:45am was a 5 minute queue.

I returned to Chatswood later in the afternoon (parked my car in the town centre and walked back to t the concourse just to see how it was going) and it was absolute bedlam.

I’m talking several police officers with megaphones yelling at people, queues all the way back to Victoria Avenue, etc.

To round off my day, my SD card in my point and shoot camera managed to snap in half while I attempted to remove it from a piece of shit adaptor which grabbed hold of it and wouldn’t let go.

So all those lovely photos and videos from the day are now gone unless I fork out for data recovery (the data chip is OK, it’s the bit of the plastic with the contacts that’s snapped off).

5 Likes

Any souvenirs? :stuck_out_tongue:

a first day wristband and ticket…

4 Likes

My husband’s commute on the new metro was pretty good this morning. He didn’t test out the carpark as he caught a bus to the metro station. However all the changeovers added up so he caught a bus home this evening.

Yes the biggest problem with the Metro is that it doesn’t go all the way to the CBD yet

More incidents this morning with the Sydney Metro. And on Wednesday:

4 Likes

i’m off to melbourne next week for work. instead of buying a myki whilst down there i went th mobile route on my pixel 3a. i’m actully pretty impressed with it (in terms of how quick it was to set up). i’ll see next week on usage.

2 Likes

its pretty good in terms of easy to use im using it here in ballarat , but some of the drivers didnt know much about it and one asked me how it worked so i had to tell them. i find it easier then the actual myki card it self

Nine News has estimated it will take 40 mins to catch the new Sydney tram from Kingsford to Circular Quay compared to 20 mins on the current express bus. The new light rail is expected to open next year.

1 Like

But I am assuming it is going to help with congestion and with other stops rather than where it first starts from.

And in other news, apples taste, look and smell different to oranges.

1 Like