Public Transport

Well, you can’t really make plans around something that may never happen. You just have to go with what you know (or can reasonably foresee) at the time.

2 Likes

True. I just think its a bit ridiculous that it will take 30-40 years for the plans to go ahead.

1 Like

The rail line between Doncaster and Melbourne CBD along the Eastern Freeway has been talked about since the 1920s. The Victorian Government is planning to build a Suburban Rail Loop around Melbourne, with Doncaster one of the stations. It’s possible that SRL will be complete before the Eastern Freeway rail line is ever built.
As for Berejiklian’s plans for the four new Sydney metro lines, I am not sure if it’s a last ditch effort to secure votes from people living in Western Sydney, because they are the ones most affected by traffic and transport issues.

3 Likes

I think you might be right there.

1 Like

Melbourne’s underground rail loop was first planned in the 1940s and didn’t open until 1980. It wasn’t completed until 1985.

3 Likes

Thanks for that had no idea.

Victoria has followed NSW and allowed people with Android phones to touch on and touch off on public transport.

3 Likes

Such a shame that Apple keep restricting NFC so much, expecting everyone to not only pay a premium to buy an iPhone but also to use it (the Apple tax on Store apps, plus a cut of ticket prices & credit card payments made via Apple Pay).

That is their business model.

Hyped for this. Will be fantastic.

1 Like
3 Likes

For those that are unaware, Canberra’s much vaunted light rail will commence on April 20 (Easter Saturday). Services will run between Gunghalin Central and Canberra City (Civic).

5 Likes

This weekend the entire south east part of Melbourne will have no direct rail access to the CBD for the first time. Buses will replace trains on portions of Glen Waverley line (regular maintenance) and Cranbourne, Pakenham, Frankston and Sandringham lines (construction of Metro Tunnel entrance at South Yarra). I can’t remember this many train lines shut down simultaneously for works.

2 Likes

Sydney’s T1 railway line will be split into two from April 28. The Northern Line (Hornsby to Gordon via Epping, Strathfield and City) will be renamed T9 and get a different colour, while North Shore Line and Western Line will keep the T1 symbol and the yellow colour.

1 Like

Instead of paying money to change colours maybe they should spend money on actually running efficient trains in Sydney.

7 Likes

I agree, but that’s not likely to happen anytime soon while the NSW Transport Minister (I think even those who live interstate know how bad Andrew Constance is) is one who lives in an electorate hundreds of kilometres away from the nearest station in the Sydney Trains network. Also known for McFerryFace and other debacles.

1 Like

Red. Edit: Found the new version of the full train map.

https://media.timeout.com/images/105394720/image.jpg

3 Likes

Hey, At Least your does run. Down in Melbourne, At the moment We have a new Train with funny rubber wheels called “Rail Replacement Bus”

2 Likes

I am in Melbourne actually. I still think Melbourne’s PT is a lot better than Sydney’s.

1 Like

I’m in Sydney at the moment, and twice yesterday I had to get one of the old grey “sweatbox” trains that had the thinly padded seats and no air con. Even in April, those trains were stuffy and hot-ish to travel in. Fortunately I didn’t need to travel far.

3 Likes