Public Transport

there will be some bus services running through to 2am

After midnight trips will operate from the city on metropolitan bus routes 234, 250, 905, 906, 907 and 908 every 15 min until approximately 2am.

https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/news-and-events/events/public-transport-for-new-years-eve-sunday-31-december-2017/#Servicesrunningallnight2017

Almost as easy as 123

I’ll get my coat…

2 Likes

Well…Sydney’s in the shit. As of today, trains are running to Saturday timetables due to an overtime ban, leading up to the strike on Monday. Looks like I don’t have a choice when it comes to actually getting to the Kings game on Sunday.

Thankfully most kids don’t go back to school until Tuesday, when 7, 11 and 12 go back, and 8, 9 and 10 go back on Wednesday. Don’t know how many of our lot take the train and walk to school from the nearest station, but imagine if this happened on a school day. :thinking:

Fair Work Commission has ruled that the strike must be put off for six weeks due to impact it will have on Sydney’s economy. The overtime ban will also be overturned as of 6pm tonight.

UPDATE: Here’s a much more informative article that was not written at McDonalds. …unlike this post. http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/fair-work-commission-orders-nsw-rail-workers-to-abandon-24hour-strike-20180124-h0o1s1.html

2 Likes

News Corp reports today the state governments of NSW, QLD and VIC are conducting trials of the new “pay and go” technology on public transport, while allows people to scan on with a debit or credit card, or a smartphone. While their respective smartcard systems (Opal, Go Card and Myki) have their shortfalls and even funding blowouts, it is too soon to replace them. Besides, not everyone has a debit or credit card or even a mobile phone.

I’ve not read the articles but would say this is a proposed enhancement not a replacement?

1 Like

IIRC it’s already being trialled on some ferry services in Sydney and will complement Opal rather than replacing it.

Herald Sun calls the tap and go technology a replacement for Myki. Today’s report starts with this:

The myki card is on the way out with commuters set to use mobiles and debit cards to pay for trips from as early as June.

But didn’t the company behind Myki was given a contract extension not so long ago?

There’s your problem there

1 Like

I just want a system of public transit where I can pay a weekly fee and get unlimited trips in that week. European cities go off this system and it works brilliantly.

1 Like

myki has that in Melbourne and also for the commuter zone which includes Geelong, Ballarat and Bendigo

Is it used frequently by commuters or just by tourists?

When I was in Brisbane I found the fare structure to be nuts. No fare capping (which would essentially be the ‘weekly fee’), and comparatively very expensive.

I bought a SeeQ card which includes unlimited trips everywhere except for AirTrain, but it was $60 for three days! Yowza.

1 Like

A 7-day pass is essentially the cost of 5 daily fares. it’s probably aimed more at commuters that are frequent/daily travellers. myki allows 7 day passes but also 28-365 day passes. Depending on my work schedule I usually buy 28 day passes or higher.

I’d imagine that the Myki company would continue to be paid to maintain the network of validators - they probably want to be ridded of having to deal with with those Myki cards.

I had my Myki replaced by post after it expired early this month, and my God that website they use is ridiculously bad. It’s straight out of the year 2005.

The Opal card system in Sydney was designed with contactless payment cards in mind. I don’t know why it’s taking so long to roll out…

1 Like

As someone who uses public transport about 10-12 times a week (and would use it more if Brisbane’s fares were cheaper and there were more frequent services), I would snag that 365 day pass. I don’t think Translink offer that option sadly.

The WA State Government announced plans to add full tap-and-go / NFC capability to the existing Transperth Smartrider network by 2021, as well as a full upgrade of all existing readers and tech a few months ago.

It’s quite alarming the media reports today talking about the plans in SEQ suggest that the existing card would be totally phased out in favour of going credit/debit/smartphone payment only. Maybe something that’s viable in 10 or 15 years, but not in the next couple years as you’re going to force a portion of the population back into using paper tickets.

2 Likes

Hong Kong’s Octopus payment system has a tap and go facility but it requires you to buy a separate watch with the Octopus app installed, instead of a card. London’s Oyster system (which I used during my recent trip) also has a contactless payment facility.

Go Card was rolled out before Sydney and Melbourne. It’s the oldest system in Australia, and therefore will probably be the first to go (card).

I wouldn’t mind a transition period where you can use either my smartphone, bank card or Go card to tap on and off.