Public Transport

At one point the trains in Adelaide still said “Please mind the gap when alighting from the train”. Not sure if they still do.

Ours do say “Change here for trains to X.”

1 Like

Some Melbourne trams have “Passengers Alighting” in text on the back when the doors are open. I suppose you can figure it out from context, but it always feels like someone uses it to avoid people snickering about “getting off”.

1 Like

The push for simpler language is infectious across all areas of government, seemingly as a way to better communicate with our customers.

Personally, I don’t see the issue with the old language. Surely the word “terminate” is understood well enough, especially in a transport context? I feel the simpler language loses some of the nuance of communication.

1 Like

I think the word “terminate” is fine in transport speak also. I travel on the Glen Waverley line, and when the train is on its way from Syndal to Glen Waverley, the announcement says “this train terminates at Glen Waverley”.

3 Likes

But seriously though, who uses the word “alighting” in normal speech anymore?

It’s like how every few years people will start talking about how in the national anthem we are “girt by sea”… the majority of people would have no clue what it means without having to look it up or ask.

True, but it’s a specific term to that particular type of transport. ‘Alight’ is perhaps a little quaint, but I’d certainly argue that ‘terminate’ is very well understood and used.

I guess I’m just one of those people that believes it’s not necessarily a bad thing having more words used in wider conversation than fewer, but I acknowledge I’m part of an ever-shrinking minority in feeling that way.

3 Likes

A three-year delay in building a sky rail through the heart of Brunswick has been hailed as an opportunity to transform the nearby Sydney Road shopping strip, with calls for the installation of accessible tram stops, wider footpaths and bike lanes before the Upfield line is ripped up.

But the proposal faces pushback from local traders concerned about losing on-street parking, while the Allan government refuses to commit to any changes along the bustling state-controlled thoroughfare.

2 Likes

Last time I was in Canberra I used the light rail,I bought a daily ticket from the light rail station,at Dickson,(near my accommodation)and was able to use that ticket on the buses too

2 Likes

Yarra Trams will install new tram tracks at the intersection of Elizabeth and Victoria Streets, outside Queen Victoria Market, later this year, so that trams from North Melbourne can travel to south eastern suburbs, and vice versa.

There was a notice posted on Yarra Trams website a month ago, under Projects.

https://yarratrams.com.au/projects/swanston-and-victoria-streets-precinct-upgrade

3 Likes