PTV Network New Zealand & Independent Radio Service (Patrick Te Pou Broadcasting Ltd)

Happy New Years @PaddyTePou! I cannot wait to see your ideas and vision for 2021!

1 Like

Thank you, @Zacgb!

1 Like

PTV RADIO (Part 3)

Below is a schedule and descriptions for PTV Radio’s weekend programming.

The Overnighter
with Roman Travers (Saturdays, 12-6am) and Hayden Rickard (Sundays, 12-6am)
Open-line talkback right through the night.

The Gardening Guru
with Lynda Hallinan (Saturdays, 6-8am)
Lynda Hallinan (aka ‘The Gardening Guru’) helps you in the garden every Saturday morning. Whether you need help with the flowers, patching a lawn or planting new natives, Lynda will take your calls and provide the best advice you’ll find.

The DIY Experts
with Hamish Dodd and Stan Scott (Saturdays, 8-10am)
New Zealanders are obsessed with DIY and there are no better men than Hamish Dodd and Stan Scott (aka ‘The DIY Experts’) to help you with your projects around the house. Join the boys every Saturday as they answer all your questions on nothing but DIY.

Weekend Life
with Carly Flynn (Saturdays, 10am-noon)
Whether you’re going out or staying in, Weekend Life is your perfect accompaniment to your Saturday morning. Join Carly Flynn as she sources the best food, wine, entertainment and home stories from around the length of New Zealand.

Property Fast Track
with Martin Cooper (Saturdays, noon-1pm)
Every Saturday lunchtime Martin Cooper, of Harcourts Cooper & Co, will share his years of experience and knowledge of the property markets, and will be joined by a regular cast of expert guests, in a dedicated hour-long show. Plus, he’ll take your calls on buying, selling, investing, and how to make the most from real estate.

Smart Money
with Nadine Higgins (Saturdays, 1-2pm)
Hosted by Nadine Higgins, Smart Money is the best place to have all your money questions answered. Covering all the issues from loans and investments to superannuation, this is everyday finance in everyday language.

The Travel Show
with Dan Lake and Debbie Griffiths (Saturdays, 2-4pm)
Dan Lake and Debbie Griffiths take you across the world and around the country every Saturday afternoon. From relaxing cruises and resorts to the best adventure trips, Dan and Debbie give you the inside tips on how best to plan your next holiday.

Know Your Pets
with Mark Vette, Dr Stacey Tremain and Andrea Haylings (Saturdays, 4-6pm)
Mark Vette, Dr Stacey Tremain and Andrea Haylings know pets better than anyone, and love to help you with your pet problems. Join the trio every Saturday afternoon for a bit of fun as they go into pet health, pet technology, pet travel and more. Note: Andrea Haylings, one of my good friends, is a part-time vet nurse based in Kawerau.

Wine & Dine
with Mel Homer and Simon Gault (Saturdays, 6-8pm)
Mel Homer is joined each week by Simon Gault, one of New Zealand’s well known chefs, as they talk about all things delicious. From putting together an easy family dinner, to finding the best wine on a budget, Mel and Simon have all the best ideas every Saturday night.

The Best of Ryan Bridge
with Ryan Bridge (Sundays, 6-7am)
If you miss the good stuff during the week, just tune in Sunday mornings for an hour of the best bits from PTV Radio’s breakfast show with Ryan Bridge.

The Best of Corin Dann
with Corin Dann (Sundays, 7-8am)
Catch up with an hour of the week’s best bits from PTV Radio’s drive show with Corin Dann.

Sunday Business
with Wallace Chapman (Sundays, 8-10am)
Andrew Patterson’s Sunday Business makes a welcome return to New Zealand airwaves on PTV Radio! Andrew keeps you fiscally aware with comprehensive coverage of the business week, including analysis, commentary and extended newsmaker interviews.

Sunday Forum
with Jehan Casinader (Sundays, 10am-noon)
Live from Wellington, Sunday morning sees award-winning journalist Jehan Casinader hosting Sunday Forum. This brand new show on Sundays is devoted to politics and packed with political debate, a review of the week that was, a political panel with seasoned commentators and probing interviews with leading politicians. Most importantly, Sunday Forum gives you the chance to join the conversation on politics with opportunities to have your say throughout the programme.

Second Career
with Matthew Tukaki and Jayne Glenister (Sundays, noon-1pm)
Whether you want to get back into work, or want to change the work you currently do, then Second Career can help. Employment guru Matthew Tukaki and Madison Recruitment’s Jayne Glenister have plenty of tips, ideas and information about careers.

NZ Autocar Radio
with Jen Bainbridge and Kyle Cassidy (Sundays, 1-2pm)
NZ Autocar, New Zealand’s leading automotive magazine, is now live on the radio! Jen Bainbridge is joined each week by NZ Autocar editor Kyle Cassidy to bring you the latest motoring news, review new cars on the market, discuss road safety issues and answer your motoring questions.

Good Health
with Aziz Al-Sa’afin (Sundays, 2-4pm)
We’d all like to be healthier - and Good Health with Aziz Al-Sa’afin can help you get there. Each week Aziz talks to the experts on health and wellbeing, and gives you the opportunity to put your own questions to those in the know.

50 Forward
with Peter Williams (Sundays, 4-6pm)
Join broadcasting legend Peter Williams every Sunday afternoon for 50 Forward, two hours of magazine-style infotainment for the over 50s. Peter has got plenty of tips on how you can embrace life as you get older, including travel, health and retirement living.

Tech Talk
with Finn Hogan (Sundays, 6-8pm)
Got a question about technology? If so, get them answered via the open line on Tech Talk with Finn Hogan - a fun way to get inside the world of computers, TVs, mobile phones and so much more. Finn solves your tech problems and looks at all the new products on the market each week.

Weekend Variety Wireless
with Graeme Hill (Weekends, 8pm-12am)
Life, the universe and everything in between. Graeme Hill rounds off the weekend on PTV Radio with the welcome return of his ever popular Weekend Variety Wireless, featuring an eclectic and diverse mix of guests and subjects. For anyone with a curious bone in their body, check out the most interesting radio show on the planet!

News, sport and weather on the hour, every hour.

@OnAir @TV4 @nztv What do you think of the weekend schedule (in addition to the weekday schedule in Part 2)?

More to come in Part 4.

1 Like

Good on ya Paddy. No weekend sport?

2 Likes

@OnAir On weekends, PTV Radio will move away from the news talk format and change to a lifestyle format (i.e. a range of magazine-style feature programming in the manner of Sydney’s 2UE Talking Lifestyle from 2016-18), rather than a sports radio format. The weekend programming will cover a wider variety of lifestyle topics like DIY, gardening, health and wellbeing, motoring, pets, real estate, technology, and travel. Current affairs will still feature in the weekend schedule, although it will be restricted to Sunday mornings (between 6am-noon).

Meanwhile, Sports Entertainment Network (SEN), which is based in Melbourne, announced in November 2020 that it had entered into a Heads of Agreement with TAB NZ to buy its control of 31 radio frequencies it holds until 2031. The agreement had to be notified to the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) as SEN is a publicly listed company.

It is not legally binding yet and just the next step in the negotiation process, but a source of information understands the right to the frequencies are likely be sold to SEN.

If SEN does buy the frequency rights, weekend sport will be featured on a brand new, New Zealand based radio network dedicated to sport and racing. Believe me.

3 Likes

Below are the custom-made pictures promoting PTV Network’s News and Current Affairs programmes, using Microsoft PowerPoint.

As far as people (like @OnAir and @nztv) have been concerned, my intention is to make the chosen talent - like Wendy Petrie, Daniel Faitaua, Tom McRae, Ryan Bridge and Mitch McCann - commercially viable through advertising and sponsorship. In order to turn my dreams into reality, I had to add some statements that make the pictures clear.

As told by me earlier, I created PTV News Today as a ‘television version of RNZ’s Morning Report’ and described it as ‘the must-watch early morning news programme for New Zealanders who want to start the day fully informed, with Wendy Petrie (poached from TVNZ) leading the charge’. The programme would feature rolling bulletins of national and international news, sport, business and weather information, running from 6-8.30am Monday to Friday on PTV1, and ‘does not include magazine or lifestyle segments’.

Ollie Ritchie (from Newshub) would anchor regular sports updates; Owen Poland (one of the highly respected business journalists in the country) would deliver the latest in business and finance; and Philip Duncan (from WeatherWatch.co.nz) would present the weather.

I appreciate viewers would be keen to see Duncan Garner, Amanda Gillies and Mark Richardson returning to co-host The AM Show on my new network, but I chose to cancel it and come up with the concept of an ‘even better’ early morning news programme for television only, rather than a multi-platform breakfast show (i.e. radio and television). It would inherit ‘a format that stretches right back to Firstline during the 3 News era and will concentrate on the important stories that happened overnight and what is likely to make news in the day ahead’.

Daniel Faitaua, who (in real life) is based in London as TVNZ’s Europe correspondent, would be welcomed back to New Zealand and my new network. Daniel already has a relationship with New Zealand audiences in recent times, especially in his TVNZ days, so I would be delighted to welcome him to the PTV News team. In my book, if Daniel does return to New Zealand and join my network, he will bring with him a wealth of experience to the desk of PTV National News, ‘PTV Network’s main evening news programme’.

Tom McRae has covered some of the biggest news stories in recent years - like the Christchurch earthquakes and the Pike River mine disaster through TVNZ’s 1 NEWS. He was based in Sydney as an Australia correspondent for 3 News before returning to New Zealand in 2016 for the launch of Newshub (rebranded from 3 News). In my book, Tom would be perfect as the weekend anchor for PTV National News - this time in the single newsreader format just like Daniel Faitaua on weeknights. He would also anchor News Updates during the evening and, at around 10.30pm, a late night edition for 15 minutes on Saturdays and 10 minutes on Sundays, according to @Leotv. In the event of a Rugby Championship/Bledisloe Cup match (Wallabies v All Blacks) played in Australia, i.e. Sydney, the late news would be replaced with a shorter, five minute newsbreak, which would screen during half time.

Michael Morrah (from Newshub) and Jared McCulloch (who, in real life, is based in Otago as a reporter for TVNZ’s 1 NEWS and has a background in regional television and radio) would be part of the PTV News team as supplementary newsreaders, with Jared anchoring the midday and 4.30pm editions of PTV News on weekdays.

The role of sports anchor would be shared by Andrew Gourdie (from Newshub) and Jeff McTainsh (from Sky Sport), and Ravinder Hunia (from Sky Sport) would also be part of the team as an additional sports anchor.

When it comes to presenting the weather on PTV National News, Jessica Tyson and Lucy Brock (above; photo credit - supplied) are exceptional talents after crowning Miss World New Zealand 2018 and 2019 respectively. In real life, Jess is a seasoned multimedia journalist and Lucy (new to television) is a senior creative strategist at Motion Sickness, a multi award-winning creative and production agency based in New Zealand.

Hiring attractive women, e.g. beauty queens, as weather presenters is a time-honoured global tradition and I would be delighted to welcome them to my new network, although background training and daily briefing would be required. The background training includes explaining the need for weather information to be presented in a serious and faithful manner, and particularly for the more glamorous the need to submerge their glamour behind the prosaic highs and lows.

I am hoping to look for an additional weather presenter in Jess and Lucy’s absence…

On weeknights PTV National News would go to air at 6.30pm with A Current Affair to follow at 7pm, but the weekend edition of PTV National News would be at 6pm.

‘New Zealand’s newest hour of evening news and current affairs’ would be preceded at 6pm by 30 minutes of local and regional news under the PTV Local News banner. It’s like going back to the 1980s where TVNZ had four regional news programmes in magazine-style formats: Top Half (Auckland), Today Tonight (Wellington), The Mainland Touch (Christchurch) and The South Tonight (Dunedin).

My intention is to split New Zealand, as a whole, into six regions (Auckland, Waikato/Bay of Plenty, Palmerston North, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin) and each region would have its own nightly regional news service, drawing on the resources of the PTV News newsroom with support from NZ On Air. The PTV Local News bulletins would screen at 6pm each weeknight (just before PTV National News) for 52 weeks of the year, and comprise all the day’s regional news, sports, weather and feature stories, along with the inclusion of local advertising breaks, in 30 minute packages.

Following PTV National News (at 6.30pm), A Current Affair would screen at 7pm with Ryan Bridge (from Magic Talk) fronting the programme as a homage to Genevieve Westcott, who died recently. With its ‘balanced blend of politics, investigative journalism, news and personalities, as well as the bizarre and the unusual’, ACA would cover the topical events and issues that matter most to the people of New Zealand. In Ryan’s absence, Lisa Owen (from RNZ’s Checkpoint) would act as ACA’s fill-in anchor.

If Nightline does return to New Zealand screens after a long absence, I would describe it as ‘a television version of RNZ’s Checkpoint’ and transform it into ‘the must-watch late night news programme for New Zealanders who want to finish the evening fully informed’.

Screening weeknights at around 10.30pm on PTV1, the refreshed Nightline would be similar in format to that of TVNZ’s Eye Witness News from the 1980s and feature a vast array of reports covering news, sport, business, weather and current affairs, sourced primarily from the PTV News newsroom but often also A Current Affair and international sources like ABC America.

As told by me earlier, each edition of Nightline would begin with a late news segment read by Janika ter Ellen (from Prime News), keeping viewers updated with a wrap of the day’s major stories and breaking news from New Zealand and around the world. After the news, Mitch McCann (one of the brightest young journalists from Newshub) would take over as anchor and delve deeper into the significant events and issues of the day by offering a blend of current affairs investigations and background stories. To finish off, Janika would return to the news desk to present a summary of the headlines and tomorrow’s weather.

Everything is on the cards and starts with a dream as PTV Network New Zealand (Patrick Te Pou Enterprises Ltd) is a fictional broadcaster. If possible, your feedback will be more than welcome.

2 Likes

Here’s a rough sketch of the PTV Network logo in which I created on a piece of paper instead of Microsoft PowerPoint.

@MichaelPower @OnAir @TV4 @nztv @foxyrover @Zacgb @Leo_Puglisi6 @Biscuit45 What do you think?

5 Likes

Looks very close to the real digital deal! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yeah, I was just about to say, very nicely done.

1 Like

PTV1 SCHEDULE

PTV1 is home to New Zealand’s leading News and Current Affairs throughout the day, a unique breakfast show, daytime properties that efficiently and effectively target the household shopper, and a raft of primetime properties in the fields of drama, comedy and entertainment, as well as movies and documentaries, to cater for PTV1’s core 25-54 demographic. The channel is also home to the best free-to-air sports coverage in New Zealand - from the All Blacks to the Olympic and Commonwealth Games - and weekend properties that efficiently and effectively target the passionate sports fan.

New Zealand audiences love seeing Kiwis on air, and PTV1 is committed to building its local content. PTV Network would, in future, produce and commission a variety of New Zealand made programmes for PTV1, featuring the inclusion of famous New Zealand faces. These include high-quality dramas and documentaries as well as factual, lifestyle and entertainment shows, combined with a pick of the best programming from key international studios.

Here’s a full, draft outline of what the PTV1 schedule looks like. (Please note that programmes may be subject to late changes without prior notice.)

PTV1 would open transmission at 6am with PTV News Today, an early morning programme of non-stop news anchored by Wendy Petrie. This programme enables viewers to start their day fully informed with the latest and breaking news, sport, business and weather information in rolling bulletins, delivered every half hour.

PTV News Today is followed at 8.30am by The Morning Break, which runs for 90 minutes. Hosted from Christchurch by Greg O’Connor and Ali Harper, The Morning Break is a live-to-air, magazine-style morning show featuring a blend of celebrity interviews, lifestyle and human interest features, entertainment news, competitions and advertorials.

PTV1’s daytime schedule would also include the US reality courtroom series Judge Judy (at 10am); the US talk show Dr Phil (at 11am); the hit US soaps The Young and the Restless (at 1pm), Days of Our Lives (at 2pm) and The Bold and the Beautiful (at 3pm); and the latest Hollywood gossip, hot off the satellite, with Entertainment Tonight (at 4pm).

International daytime shows would be complemented with a small number of New Zealand made daytime programmes to cater for an audience of female viewers, i.e. household shoppers. These include: a cooking show with tips and recipes (at 10.30am), an advice panel show in the style of Beauty and the Beast (at 12.30pm), and a yet-to-be announced daytime show for 30 minutes at 3.30pm.

PTV News Updates would screen throughout the day, usually at the top of each hour from 9am until 4pm to keep viewers in touch with the latest developments as they happen. Wendy Petrie would read the late morning updates with the afternoon updates being read by Jared McCulloch, who also anchors the midday and 4.30pm editions of PTV News for 30 minutes (as PTV Midday News and PTV News: First at 4.30 respectively). These half hour bulletins would include updates on the day’s developing news stories, business reports, sports news and a national weather forecast.

PTV1’s evening schedule would commence at 5pm with an hour of New Zealand made game shows, i.e. the local versions of Jeopardy! (with host Walter Neilands, formerly of Sticky TV fame) and Wheel of Fortune (with Matt Gibb as host and Miss Universe New Zealand 2019 Diamond Langi as hostess). Jeopardy! would screen at 5pm, followed by the all new Wheel of Fortune at 5.30pm.

Following Wheel of Fortune, primetime on PTV1 (6-10.30pm) could be summarised as follows:

• 6.00pm: PTV Local News, 30 minutes of comprehensive daily regional news from the six regions - Auckland, Waikato/Bay of Plenty, Palmerston North, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin. Parochial and proud of it, each PTV Local News bulletin is drawn on the resources of the PTV News newsroom and made with the support of NZ On Air.

• 6.30pm: PTV National News, a nightly 30 minute bulletin of national and international news, including sports and weather segments. Anchored by Daniel Faitaua, a journalist with over 10 years experience in news and current affairs reporting, PTV National News provides its viewers with comprehensive coverage of the important news of the day from New Zealand and around the world.

• 7.00pm: A Current Affair, PTV Network’s nightly current affairs programme fronted by Ryan Bridge.

• 7.30pm: A combination of local and international programming that runs through to 8.30pm. US sitcoms Young Sheldon, Mom, The Neighborhood and Bob Hearts Abishola would feature, but New Zealand made lifestyle and entertainment programming would fill the 7.30-8.30pm slot on certain nights of the week. It is intended that Tuesday and Saturday nights would become “family entertainment night”, and Wednesday and Friday nights would become “Kiwi lifestyle night”. Thursday nights are “nature documentary nights” thanks to Our World, a regular slot devoted to natural history documentaries from the BBC and beyond.

• 8.30pm: Key international shows include the US dramas All Rise, Bull, NCIS, FBI, NCIS: New Orleans and FBI: Most Wanted. Inside New Zealand, a regular slot devoted to New Zealand made documentaries, is run at 8.30pm on Wednesday nights and alternates with other programmes in this slot. This is followed at 9.30pm by The Chapman Group, a panel discussion series hosted by Wallace Chapman, then Four Corners (a half hour programme of international current affairs, introduced by Guyon Espiner) at 10pm. A live-to-air, Christchurch based talk/variety show with Jason Gunn is in development, with plans to run at 9.30pm on Thursday nights.

A late night news and current affairs programme, Nightline, screens at 10.30pm and runs for 45 minutes. Anchored by Mitch McCann with Janika ter Ellen, Nightline features a vast array of reports covering news, sport, business, weather and current affairs and delves deeper into the significant events and issues of the day. Late night programming (usually US dramas like New Amsterdam, Chicago Med and Blue Blood but often documentaries for late night viewing) would follow Nightline and run until closedown at around 12.15am but often later than usual on Thursday and Friday nights.

PTV1’s typical weekend schedule could be summarised, in full or in part, as follows:

Saturday

• 7.30am: Real Estate Today, a weekly programme which looks at properties, real estate products and services.
  • 8.00am: Lifestyle (30 min; TBC)
  • 8.30am: Documentary & Factual (1 hour; TBC)
  • 9.30am: Tagata Pasifika, a weekly programme of Pacific news, current affairs and features.
  • 10.00am: Repeat of Wednesday’s 7.30-8.30pm programming.
  • 11.00am: Repeat of Friday’s 7.30-8.30pm programming.
  • 12.00pm: Lifestyle (30 min; TBC)
  • 12.30pm: Lifestyle (30 min; TBC)
  • 1.00pm: Sportsworld, a five-hour combination of live action, highlights and previews from the world of sport. This programme also includes roundups of major sporting events from New Zealand and around the world, as well as the latest sports news, features and score updates. Scoreboard is a results service screening at around 5.45pm; it keeps viewers updated on the day’s grassroots rugby and race meetings from across the country.
  • 6.00pm: PTV National News (weekend edition), read by Tom McRae.
  • 6.30pm: This early part of Saturday evenings would usually be devoted to family entertainment until 8.30pm. Game shows and a new version of McDonald’s Young Entertainers, a family-friendly variety/talent show, would feature in this slot.
  • 8.30pm: US Dramas (e.g. NCIS: New Orleans, followed by FBI: Most Wanted) or Saturday Night at the Movies
  • 10.30pm (approx): PTV Late News, read by Tom McRae - subject to scheduling.
  • 10.45pm (approx): The Graham Norton Show, fresh off the satellite from the UK just a few hours earlier (NZ time). An alternative late night programme would screen in this slot (in place of The Graham Norton Show) - subject to scheduling.
  • 11.45pm (approx): Late night programming, subject to scheduling.
  • 1.45am (approx): Closedown

Sunday

• 7.30am: Face the Nation with Margaret Brennan, via satellite from the US CBS network
  • 8.30am: Tagata Pasifika (repeat)
  • 9.00am: Sunday, a current affairs magazine programme introduced by Mitch McCann. This programme is a blend of national and international news, politics, in-depth reports on issues affecting New Zealand and the world, film reviews, arts features and music.
  • 11.00am: Documentary & Factual (1 hour; TBC)
  • 12.00pm: Meet the Press, a discussion programme in which host Corin Dann and a panel of invited journalists interview a prominent newsmaker about a topical issue.
  • 12.30pm: Lifestyle (30 min; TBC)
  • 1.00pm: Documentary & Factual (1 hour; TBC)
  • 2.00pm: Sports Sunday, a four-hour combination of sports news, features, highlights and live sporting action.
  • 6.00pm: PTV National News (weekend edition), read by Tom McRae.
  • 6.30pm: 60 Minutes, PTV Network’s flagship current affairs programme fronted by Melissa Chan-Green. A team of US, Australian and New Zealand correspondents - including Garth Bray, Guyon Espiner, Melanie Reid and Tristram Clayton - offer viewers a blend of hard-hitting investigative reports, interviews, feature segments and profiles of people in the news.
  • 7.30pm: US Sitcom (e.g. Young Sheldon)
  • 8.00pm: US Sitcom (e.g. Mom)
  • 8.30pm: Sunday Night at the Movies
  • 10.30pm (approx): PTV Late News, read by Tom McRae - subject to scheduling.
  • 10.40pm (approx): The Jonathan Ross Show, fresh off the satellite from the UK just a few hours earlier (NZ time). The Sunday late movie would screen in this slot (in place of The Jonathan Ross Show), followed by closedown at the earlier time of around 12.40am - subject to scheduling.
  • 11.40pm (approx): Sunday Late Movie, subject to scheduling.
  • 1.40am (approx): Closedown

Movies would supplement the schedule on Friday evenings (except during the Super Rugby Aotearoa and Mitre 10 Cup seasons), with network premieres of blockbuster movie titles such as Angel Has Fallen, Bombshell and Rocketman being shown on Sunday evenings.

Sport would play an integral role in the schedule as PTV1 has a commitment to free-to-air sport, including rugby. Most rugby, like the Super Rugby Aotearoa and Mitre 10 Cup games, is screened on a delayed basis on Friday night and Saturday and Sunday afternoon, boosting traditionally low viewing weekend periods. PTV1 would also screen the All Black tests ‘live and free’ (from the Rugby Championship and Bledisloe Cup fixtures to the Steinlager Series and the All Blacks’ end-of-year tour of the Northern Hemisphere), along with the Super Rugby Aotearoa final, the Mitre 10 Cup Championship Final and the Mitre 10 Cup Premiership Final.

Everything is on the cards and starts with a dream as PTV Network New Zealand (Patrick Te Pou Enterprises Ltd) is a fictional broadcaster. If possible, your feedback will be more than welcome.

Dedicated to @OnAir, @MichaelPower, @Biscuit45, @foxyrover, @Leo_Puglisi6 & @Zacgb.

5 Likes

I like the name and

these two sound like a good pairing.

2 Likes

Ah yes, what a commitment! :joy: :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

PTV1 SCHEDULE (UPDATE)

This is an update on the PTV1 schedule in which I have developed.

Welcome to PTV1 (start-up)
PTV1 would open transmission each morning with a two-minute “In the Mood” music video promoting PTV Network as a whole, its family of channels and its personalities (similar to Australia’s Channel Seven during 1990). This would be followed by a welcome to viewers, a programme menu which details that day’s programming, and a short series of programme trailers and promos which leads to PTV1’s first programme for the day.

Closedown
PTV1’s closedown sequence would consist of a programme menu which details the next day’s programming, a short series of programme trailers and promos, and a “good night” to viewers as PTV1 closes transmission for the night. To finish off, a lullaby song and music video (similar to “Go to Sleep Jeff [Brahms’ Lullaby]” from The Wiggles) are specially commissioned for broadcast on all PTV Network channels at closedown. PTV1 would run infomercials for 2 hours after closedown each night, followed by a test pattern. However, infomercials cannot be shown in the early hours of Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Christmas Day due to the Broadcasting Act 1989 and the test pattern would be shown after closedown (in place of infomercials for 2 hours).

A basic Monday-Friday guide for PTV1’s first month on air would look like (please note that programmes may be subject to late changes without prior notice):

Monday
5.55am: Welcome to PTV1
6.00am: PTV News Today (PTV Network’s early morning news programme)
8.30am: The Morning Break (Greg O’Connor and Ali Harper host a magazine-style morning show live from Christchurch, featuring celebrity interviews, lifestyle and human interest features, entertainment news, competitions and advertorials)
10.00am: Judge Judy (US court show)
10.30am: What’s Cooking? (Mark Southon and Nici Wickes host a half hour of cooking tips and recipes)
11.00am: Dr Phil (US talk show)
12.00pm: PTV Midday News (PTV Network’s midday news bulletin)
12.30pm: Beauty and the Beast (Mark Sainsbury hosts a panel which discusses letters, emails and phone calls which viewers have sent in on a variety of topics)
1.00pm: The Young and the Restless (US soap)
2.00pm: Days of Our Lives (US soap)
3.00pm: The Bold and the Beautiful (US soap)
3.30pm: 50 Forward (Peter Williams presents a lifestyle programme for over 50s)
4.00pm: Entertainment Tonight (showbiz news and gossip)
4.30pm: PTV News: First at 4.30 (PTV Network’s mid-afternoon news bulletin)
5.00pm: Jeopardy! (Walter Neilands hosts a quiz show where three contestants are given the answers and must guess the questions)
5.30pm: Wheel of Fortune (Matt Gibb and Diamond Langi host a game show where three contestants compete against each other to solve word puzzles and win money and prizes)
6.00pm: PTV Local News (regional news from Auckland, Waikato/Bay of Plenty, Palmerston North, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin)
6.30pm: PTV National News (PTV Network’s flagship evening news bulletin)
7.00pm: A Current Affair (PTV Network’s nightly current affairs programme)
7.30pm: The Neighborhood (US sitcom)
8.00pm: Bob Hearts Abishola (US sitcom)
8.30pm: All Rise (US drama)
9.30pm: Bull (US drama)
10.30pm: Nightline (PTV Network’s late night news and current affairs programme, which delves deeper into the significant events and issues of the day)
11.15pm: Boeing’s Killer Plane: What Went Wrong? (British documentary series)
12.15am: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert (US talk show)
1.15am: Closedown

Tuesday
6.00am: PTV News Today
8.30am: The Morning Break
10.00am: Judge Judy
10.30am: What’s Cooking?
11.00am: Dr Phil
12.00pm: PTV Midday News
12.30pm: Beauty and the Beast
1.00pm: The Young and the Restless
2.00pm: Days of Our Lives
3.00pm: The Bold and the Beautiful
3.30pm: 50 Forward
4.00pm: Entertainment Tonight
4.30pm: PTV News: First at 4.30
5.00pm: Jeopardy!
5.30pm: Wheel of Fortune
6.00pm: PTV Local News
6.30pm: PTV National News
7.00pm: A Current Affair
7.30pm: New Zealand’s Funniest Home Videos (The Edge’s Megan Mansell hosts a weekly half hour of the most hilarious home movie catastrophes caught on camera from New Zealand and around the world)
8.00pm: Candid Camera (ZM’s Megan Papas and comedian Tim Batt host a series where unsuspecting members of the New Zealand public are placed in confusing, impossible, embarrassing, ridiculous, and hilarious positions, while their reactions are recorded on a hidden camera)
8.30pm: NCIS (US drama)
9.30pm: FBI (US drama)
10.30pm: Nightline
11.15pm: New Amsterdam (US drama)
12.15am: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert

Wednesday
7.30pm: Dulux Home Front (Hamish Dodd, Shelley Ferguson and Peter Wolfkamp present a programme giving building tips and advice to do-it-yourselfers)
8.00pm: Getaway (Laura McGoldrick, Matt Chisholm and Nickson Clark present a travel programme that showcases holiday destinations in New Zealand and overseas)
8.30pm: Inside New Zealand (PTV1’s “New Zealand documentary” slot, introduced by Wendy Petrie)
9.30pm: The Chapman Group (Wallace Chapman is joined by a rotating panel of journalists, critics and media commentators for a panel discussion on the news of the week)
10.00pm: Four Corners (Guyon Espiner presents an in-depth look at international issues with the pick of overseas current affairs programmes)
10.30pm: Nightline
11.15pm: Chicago Med (US drama)
12.15am: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert

Thursday
7.30pm: Our World (PTV1’s “natural history documentary” slot, introduced by Tom McRae)
8.30pm: The Equalizer (a remake of the classic US drama, starring Queen Latifah)
9.30pm: Jason Gunn Tonight (Jason Gunn hosts a talk/variety show live from Christchurch, featuring live music, skits, comedy routines, celebrity interviews and various competitions including a phone-in quiz/game)
11.00pm: Nightline
11.45pm: Blue Bloods (US drama)
12.45am: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
1.45am: Closedown

Friday
7.30pm: Palmers Garden Show (Carly Flynn, Justin Newcombe and Nicola Kawana host the complete gardening programme aimed at giving inspiration and information to everyone from first home owners to those who have been gardening all their lives)
8.30pm: PTV Sport - Friday Night Rugby (full delayed coverage of a Friday night match from the 2021 Super Rugby Aotearoa season)
10.40pm: Nightline
11.25pm: PTV Sport - Friday Night NRL (full delayed coverage of a Friday night match from the 2021 NRL season)
1.25am: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
2.25am: Closedown

Instead of closing transmission at 12.15am (i.e. the original closedown time), The Late Show with Stephen Colbert is added and would serve as PTV1’s final scheduled programme for the evening.

A basic Saturday guide for PTV1’s first month on air would look like (please note that programmes may be subject to late changes without prior notice):

Saturday
7.25am: Welcome to PTV1
7.30am: Real Estate Today (Wilhelmina Shrimpton presents a programme which looks at properties, real estate products and services)
8.00am: Good Chef Bad Chef (Australian cooking show)
8.30am: America in Colour (US documentary series)
9.30am: Tagata Pasifika (Pacific news, current affairs and features with the Tagata Pasifika team, led by John Pulu and Marama T-Pole)
10.00am: Dulux Home Front (repeat)
10.30am: Getaway (repeat)
11.00am: Palmers Garden Show (repeat)
12.00pm: Fish of the Day (fishing with Clarke Gayford)
12.30pm: The ITM Fishing Show Classics (fishing action from New Zealand and the world’s hottest fishing spots)
1.00pm: PTV Sport - Sportsworld (Bernadine Oliver-Kerby, Goran Paladin and Aidan Rodley host an afternoon of sport and racing including, at approx 5.45pm, all the day’s grassroots rugby and racing results in Scoreboard)
6.00pm: PTV National News (the weekend edition of PTV Network’s flagship evening news bulletin)
6.30pm: It’s in the Bag (Jason Reeves and Matilda Green host a travelling quiz show where contestants answer three questions and have the chance of the money or the bag, including major prizes of overseas trips).
7.00pm: Sidewalk Karaoke (Clint Randell and Eve Palmer host a travelling game show where everyday Kiwis compete to put their singing talent on the line for cold hard cash)
7.30pm: The Price Is Right (Stephen McIvor hosts a game show where contestants compete for prizes and cash, including cars and holidays, in games that test their knowledge of consumer goods pricing)
8.30pm: NCIS: New Orleans (US drama)
9.30pm: FBI: Most Wanted (US drama)
10.30pm: PTV Late News (PTV Network’s late night news bulletin)
10.45pm: The Graham Norton Show (British talk show, fresh off the satellite from the UK just a few hours ago)
11.45pm: The Last Leg (Adam Hills, Alex Brooker and Josh Widdecombe host a British comedy/talk show with a wide range of guests including New Zealand’s own Rose Matafeo, fresh off the satellite from the UK just a few hours ago)
12.45am: Pants Optional (New Zealand sketch comedy show; repeated from an original broadcast over on PTV2)
1.40am: American Dad (US animated sitcom)
2.10am: Closedown

A basic Sunday guide for PTV1’s first month on air would look like (please note that programmes may be subject to late changes without prior notice):

Sunday
7.25am: Welcome to PTV1
7.30am: Face the Nation (direct via satellite from the CBS network and presented by Margaret Brennan; repeated from an original broadcast over on PTV3)
8.20am: TBC
8.35am: Tagata Pasifika (repeat)
9.00am: Sunday (PTV Network’s weekly magazine programme with news, current affairs, politics, film reviews, music and the arts)
11.00am: Africa’s Hidden Kingdoms (documentary, featuring a closer look at the countless wonders of the various ecosystems and habitats in Africa)
11.50am: TBC
12.00pm: Meet the Press (Corin Dann presents a discussion programme in which he and invited journalists interview a prominent newsmaker about a topical issue)
12.30pm: WhichCar (Australian motoring series)
1.00pm: The Dog Rescuers with Alan Davies (British documentary series)
2.00pm: PTV Sport - Sports Sunday (Andrew Gourdie and Ravinder Hunia host an afternoon of sporting action from New Zealand and around the world including, at 5pm, Aotearoa Rugby Panel with Ross Karl and regular guests Brad Weber, Bryn Hall, James Parsons and Josh Ioane)
6.00pm: PTV National News (the weekend edition of PTV Network’s flagship evening news bulletin)
6.30pm: 60 Minutes (PTV Network’s flagship current affairs programme)
7.30pm: Young Sheldon (US sitcom)
8.00pm: Mom (US sitcom)
8.30pm: Sunday Night at the Movies
10.30pm: PTV Late News (PTV Network’s late night news bulletin)
10.40pm: Sunday Late Movie
12.40am: Closedown

The proposed schedule for PTV1 is dedicated to @OnAir, @MichaelPower, @Biscuit45, @foxyrover, @Leo_Puglisi6 & @Zacgb.

2 Likes

Why is sport (mostly) only delayed?

Is it live on another channel?

Why closedown in 2021?

1 Like

@foxyrover In my opinion, regular-season games on free-to-air television would only be delayed but the finals would be televised live. However, live coverage would only be available on a premium sport streaming service, similar to Spark Sport.

Just bringing the old days of nightly closedowns back to life. For instance, a test pattern like this (see below) would be shown during closedown. As part of my intention, some PTV Network channels would only stay on air during all-important television events like Telethons, all-night music video marathons and live sport (FA Cup Final, All Blacks’ end-of-year tour of the Northern Hemisphere and so on). Believe me.

I just think it’s not a thing for 2021. I don’t know what happens in NZ.

I respect your opinion but I think that, even if its not on the main channel, sport needs to be live (even if it’s just Warriors games, NZ Super Rugby teams, Phoenix games, etc.)

1 Like

@foxyrover Well, thank you for your concern. If my dream television network becomes a reality, we would receive a large amount of requests from people asking for more television entertainment around the clock, 24 hours a day.

1 Like

@foxyrover In addition to PTV1 as PTV Network’s main channel, PTV4 is aimed at 25-54 year olds with a male skew and provide male viewers with an alternative. Along with male-skewed shows like Ice Road Truckers, American Pickers and Storage Wars, PTV4 has additional free-to-air sports coverage, whether live or delayed.

PTV5, which targets 25-54 with a female skew, would be firmly established as the free-to-air home of netball. This in addition to female-skewed shows from the US (in particular, the E! and Bravo libraries as well as content from TLC and Lifetime) and ‘chick flick’ movies. It is intended that the Silver Ferns and ANZ Premiership would be televised live on PTV5.

1 Like

Yeah, other than a kids channel. I wouldn’t closedown.

1 Like