PTV Network New Zealand & Independent Radio Service (Patrick Te Pou Broadcasting Ltd)

NEWS & CURRENT AFFAIRS (Part 2)
PTV News and Current Affairs programming will have the cream of New Zealand’s reporter/anchor talent.

As mentioned in Part 1, my ability is to attract a pool of media professionals to join PTV Network as my television business, so the most exciting team of journalists in New Zealand broadcasting history have been assembled. Top talent includes:

• Wendy Petrie (a former TVNZ presenter who has co-anchored 1 NEWS’ 6pm bulletin for the past 14 years, from 2006 until 2020);
  • Daniel Faitaua (best known in recent times as a news anchor for Breakfast on TVNZ but currently based in London as TVNZ’s Europe correspondent);
  • Jared McCulloch (a Southlander - currently based in Central Otago as a 1 NEWS reporter through TVNZ - with a background which includes regional television and radio newsrooms around New Zealand);
  • Janika ter Ellen (currently a weekend anchor for Prime News); and
  • Tom McRae, Mitch McCann, Michael Morrah and Wilhelmina Shrimpton as existing Newshub journalists.

In regard to regional television, PTV Network has six broadcast regions: Auckland (including Northland), Waikato/Bay of Plenty, Palmerston North (the Central North Island just south of Lake Taupo), Wellington (including the Kapiti Coast and Wairarapa), Christchurch (including Nelson/Tasman, Marlborough and the West Coast) and Dunedin (Otago and Southland).

On weeknights, the 6pm news hour will be divided into two separate bulletins: one for regional news and one for national and international news.

The first half of the news hour, from 6pm, will be known as PTV Local News and similar in format to Britain’s BBC One and ITV. Each PTV Local News bulletin will be ‘live and local’ and drawn on the same resources as the PTV News newsroom (as mentioned in Part 1), with a particular emphasis on comprehensive daily news, sports, weather and feature stories from around the regions. The six bulletins will be produced at studios in Auckland, Tauranga, Palmerston North, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin. According to Trevor Egerton, then CEO of Horizon Pacific Television (a wholly owned subsidiary of TVNZ that ran from 1995 - 1997), he told the NZ Listener:

“Our news bulletin is important to us. There is a real craving in the regions for news and current affairs that is locally anchored and locally based. There are big issues in the cities that don’t necessarily rate a national mention but which, sure as hell, require some attention locally.” - Trevor Egerton, 1995

The PTV Local News teams will do their best and work hard to produce a total of 30 half hour bulletins across six regions each week, taking a break on weekends. And because NZ On Air supports multi-platform news and information content serving regional audiences as part of its funding strategy, PTV Local News will screen Monday to Friday, all year round (i.e. 52 weeks a year, just like Te Karere on TVNZ), so that it won’t be taken off the air during public holidays and the Christmas/New Year holiday season.

The second half of the news hour, from 6.30pm, will be known as PTV National News, 30 minutes of national and international news coverage each night. As the ‘flagship’ of the PTV News brand, PTV National News will cover the important news of the day from New Zealand and around the world, drawing on the resources of the PTV News newsroom and international sources (as mentioned in Part 1), plus a report on the day’s sport and a national weather forecast. The stories will be shorter and punchier because of its half hour format.

On weekends PTV National News will screen at 6pm instead of 6.30pm. It will be known as PTV National News and Sport, and greater emphasis within the weekend edition will be given to sports news.

In lieu of The AM Show (with hosts Duncan Garner, Amanda Gillies and Mark Richardson) as a multi-platform breakfast show at the same time as radio, I have created an ‘even better’ early morning news programme on television - PTV News Today. It will inherit a format that stretches right back to Firstline during the 3 News era and will concentrate on the important stories that happened overnight and what is likely to make news in the day ahead, covering national and international news, sport, business and weather information. From 6-8.30am every weekday, there will be rolling bulletins every half hour.

In addition to *PTV Local News , PTV National News and PTV News Today, there will be PTV News bulletins at midday and 4.30pm every weekday. Called PTV Midday News and PTV News: First at 4:30 respectively, the half hour bulletins will provide viewers with the latest updates on the day’s developing news stories from New Zealand and around the world, a comprehensive business report, sports news and a national weather forecast.

PTV Late News will provide viewers with a wrap of the day’s big news stories, along with breaking news from New Zealand and around the world. The late bulletins will be screened as part of Nightline on weeknights and as a standalone 10-15 minute bulletins on weekends and during public holidays and the Christmas/New Year holiday season. More details regarding Nightline will be outlined in Part 3.

While news and current affairs programming is concentrated on PTV1, the other PTV Network channels (i.e. PTV2, PTV3, PTV4, PTV5 and PTV6) will be limited to news updates during the day - although, to offer a choice for busy viewers, PTV3 will screen time-shifted replays of PTV Midday News, PTV News: First at 4:30 and PTV National News at later, more convenient times during the week.

PTV3 has a particular emphasis on quality programming (i.e. British dramas, classic comedies, all-time favourite movies, thought-provoking documentaries and factual shows) to cater for the older demographic (i.e. a primary target audience of all people aged 55+ and a secondary audience of all people aged 40-64). For ‘globalists’ (i.e. people who are more interested in the world than what’s happening in New Zealand), PTV3 will screen three international news programmes via satellite from the UK and US:

• Channel 4 News: With top presenters like Jon Snow, Krishnan Guru-Murthy, Matt Frei and Cathy Newman, this is Channel 4’s flagship evening news programme - beamed in from ITN to New Zealand viewers every weekday morning (NZ time);
  • CBS Evening News: Presented by Norah O’Donnell, this is America’s respected news programme - beamed in from CBS to New Zealand viewers every Monday to Saturday at lunchtime (NZ time); and
  • Face the Nation: Presented by CBS News Washington correspondent Margaret Brennan, this is one of America’s longest running public affairs/political talk shows on television - beamed in from CBS to New Zealand viewers every Monday morning (at 9am).

More to come in Part 3.

1 Like

NEWS & CURRENT AFFAIRS (Part 3)
I have put together the PTV News bulletins and their respective teams, although the information contained in this post acts as a starting point only. As far as people (like @OnAir, @TV4 & @nztv) were concerned, my intention is to make the talent, within my dream TV network (see below for presenters), commercially viable through advertising and sponsorship.

PTV News Today
News: Wendy Petrie
Sport: Ollie Ritchie
Business: Owen Poland
Weather: Philip Duncan
Daily from 6-8.30am Monday to Friday, the early morning edition of PTV News is presented by experienced New Zealand broadcaster, Wendy Petrie. PTV News Today concentrates on the important stories that happened overnight and what is likely to make news in the day ahead, covering national and international news, sport, business and weather information. Ollie Ritchie presents regular sports updates and Philip Duncan from WeatherWatch.co.nz has the weather while PTV Network’s business editor, Owen Poland, keeps New Zealanders updated on the latest in business and finance.
On air: Mon-Fri 6.00-8.30am on PTV1

PTV Midday News
News/Sport: Jared McCulloch
Business: Madison Reidy
Weather: Mercy Cornish

Presented by Jared McCulloch, PTV Midday News reports on the major stories from across the country and around the world. The half hour, midday edition of PTV News wraps up the morning’s events and has the latest updates on the day’s developing news stories, along with a comprehensive business report with Madison Reidy, sports news and the afternoon’s weather forecast with Mercy Cornish.
On air: Mon-Fri, 12.00-12.30pm on PTV1; repeats 1 hour later on PTV3

TRIVIA: Mercy had worked in regional television as a weather presenter for CTV (Canterbury Television) in Christchurch until it ceased to operate as a local television station in 2016. CTV had been on air since June 1991. Video courtesy of @theGradyConnell via YouTube.

PTV News: First at 4:30
See PTV Midday News for presenters
Jared McCulloch returns to the news desk to anchor PTV News: First at 4:30, giving New Zealanders a ‘first look’ at the important national and international news of the day. The half hour, mid-afternoon edition of PTV News keeps viewers informed and up-to-date with the day’s developing news stories, business, sport, weather and traffic. It’s a perfect way to end the work day.
On air: Mon-Fri, 4.30-5.00pm on PTV1; repeats 1 hour later on PTV3

PTV Local News
Every weeknight at 6pm, PTV Local News covers news from across your region: Auckland, Waikato/Bay of Plenty, Palmerston North, Wellington, Christchurch or Dunedin. Made with the support of NZ On Air, your local news team covers local people, local issues and puts a local spin on the important national and international news of the day. With a concise 30 minute package, each PTV Local News bulletin is ‘live and local’ and drawn on the resources of the PTV News newsroom. Your local presenters are Wilhelmina Shrimpton (Auckland), Brin Rudkin (Waikato/Bay of Plenty), Madelaine Collignon (Palmerston North), Grant Walker (Wellington), Ali Pugh (Christchurch) and Callum Proctor (Dunedin).
On air: Mon-Fri, 6.00-6.30pm on PTV1

TRIVIA: When it comes to bringing regional television to a new, New Zealand based network like PTV Network, Madelaine Collignon is an Australian import and based in Canberra where, in real life, she co-anchors Prime7 News with Karl Lijnders. In fact, Prime7 News airs at 6pm (local time; 8pm NZST/NZDT) in five distinct local editions for the Border, Central West, North West, North Coast and Wagga Wagga broadcast regions. All other regional presenters are New Zealand presenters, including Wilhelmina Shrimpton from Newshub, Ali Pugh from TVNZ, ex-The Hits Dunedin breakfast host Callum Proctor, veteran broadcaster (and game show announcer) Grant Walker and Brin Rudkin, who, in real life, executive produces Peter Williams’ mid-morning show on Magic Talk. While Brin is more interested in radio, he will be new to regional television.

PTV National News
News: Daniel Faitaua (Mon-Fri), Tom McRae (Sat-Sun)
Sport: Andrew Gourdie (Mon-Fri), Jeff McTainsh (Sat-Sun)
Weather: Jessica Tyson (Mon-Fri), Lucy Brock (Sat-Sun)

Anchored by Daniel Faitaua on weeknights and Tom McRae on weekends, PTV National News is PTV Network’s main evening news programme and as such, is the flagship of the PTV News brand. This nightly half hour bulletin covers the important news of the day from New Zealand and around the world, drawing on the resources of the PTV News newsroom and international sources: CNN, AP Reuters, Channel 9, ABC, CBS and ITN. The role of sports anchor is shared by Andrew Gourdie and Jeff McTainsh, who provide comprehensive daily sporting news and analysis, while, in exciting new roles as weather presenters with assistance from qualified meteorologists, Jessica Tyson and Lucy Brock keep New Zealanders updated on weather forecasts using state-of-the-art technology.
On air: Mon-Fri, 6.30-7.00pm on PTV1; repeats at 8pm on PTV3
On air: Sat-Sun, 6.00-6.30pm on PTV1

TRIVIA: The roles of news and sports anchors dominated by men and the role of weather presenter dominated by women, like Jessica Tyson and Lucy Brock, are important to me and my network. For instance, Jess is a seasoned multimedia journalist; she is an exceptional talent after winning the title of Miss World New Zealand 2018 and will be perfect as the weekday weather presenter. Lucy, who won the title of Miss World New Zealand last year (2019) and works as senior creative strategist at New Zealand creative agency Motion Sickness, is a new face to television. And when it comes to weather presenters, background training and daily briefing are required.

Nightline
Janika ter Ellen presents a late news segment within Nightline, which provides viewers with a wrap of the day’s major news stories, along with breaking news from New Zealand and around the world. See Part 4 for further details.
On air: Mon-Fri, 10.30-11.15pm approx on PTV1

PTV Late News
Tom McRae returns to the news desk to anchor PTV Late News, the late night edition of PTV News on weekends. This late bulletin provides viewers with a wrap of the weekend’s news, sport and weather in a concise 10-15 minute package.
On air: Saturdays, 10.30-10.45pm approx on PTV1
On air: Sundays, 10.30-10.40pm approx on PTV1

PTV News Updates
PTV News has News Updates right throughout the day on all PTV Network channels (i.e. PTV1, PTV2, PTV3, PTV4, PTV5 and PTV6) to keep viewers in touch with the latest developments as they happen.

@Leo_Puglisi6 loved all my ideas and said he couldn’t complain.

More to come in Part 4.

1 Like

I’m glad you’ve included late news for the weekends. You should have a 7 day a week morning show tbh.

1 Like

NEWS & CURRENT AFFAIRS (Part 4)
I have put together the current affairs programmes, although the information contained in this post acts as a starting point only. As far as people (like @OnAir, @TV4 & @nztv) were concerned, my intention is to make the talent, within my dream TV network (see below for presenters/reporters), commercially viable through advertising and sponsorship.

60 Minutes
60 Minutes is PTV Network’s flagship current affairs programme. Presented by seasoned journalist and reporter Melissa Chan-Green with Garth Bray, Guyon Espiner, Melanie Reid and Tristram Clayton as correspondents, 60 Minutes offers hard-hitting investigative reports, interviews, feature segments and profiles of people in the news. Along with the best of international content - i.e. exclusive access to the CBS 60 Minutes (New York) and 60 Minutes from Australia - the New Zealand based team expose scandals, investigate injustices, examine the interesting and unusual, and travel the country to bring New Zealanders an eyewitness account of important and dramatic moments in our lives.
On air: Sundays 6.30-7.30pm on PTV1; repeats Mondays at 9.30pm on PTV3

A Current Affair
Fronted by Ryan Bridge, A Current Affair is PTV Network’s nightly current affairs programme. Backed by a formidable team of journalists, producers and researchers around New Zealand, A Current Affair is committed to breaking major stories with its balanced blend of politics, investigative journalism, news and personalities, as well as the bizarre and the unusual.
On air: Mon-Fri 7.00-7.30pm on PTV1; repeats at 11pm approx on PTV3

Nightline
Mitch McCann presents Nightline, PTV Network’s late night news and current affairs programme. Nightline not only wraps up the day’s important news but delves deeper into the significant events and issues of the day. As mentioned in Part 3, the late news segment is presented by Janika ter Ellen.
On air: Mon-Fri 10.30-11.15pm approx on PTV1

Sunday
Mitch McCann presents Sunday, New Zealand’s newest and most respected public affairs programme (similar in format to the CBS News Sunday Morning programme from the United States). Sunday sets agendas with its unique two-hour format that includes national and international news, politics, in-depth stories on issues affecting New Zealand and the world, film reviews, arts features and music.
On air: Sundays 9.00-11.00am on PTV1

The Chapman Group
Hosted by Wallace Chapman, The Chapman Group is a live, weekly programme which gives punchy, provocative and sometimes outrageous opinions on the state of the nation. Regular panellists include Jehan Casinader, Linda Clark, David Cunliffe, Peter Dunne, Morgan Godfery, Dr Russel Norman, Josie Pagani, Richard Prebble, Trish Sherson, Shane Te Pou, Ben Thomas and Julia Whaipooti.
On air: Wednesdays 9.30-10.00pm on PTV1

Four Corners
Journalist and investigative reporter Guyon Espiner presents Four Corners, a half hour, weekly look at international issues with the pick of overseas current affairs programmes.
On air: Wednesdays 10.00-10.30pm on PTV1

Other developments on the agenda include:

• Newsbeat, a daily news programme for the CPTV (Children’s PTV) channel. Backed by a team of emerging young journalists, Newsbeat is aimed at children 7-12 and presented in a child-friendly manner, making it easy for Kiwi kids to understand and to gain an interest in the news. This programme is produced five days a week, Monday to Friday, and similar in format to the BBC’s Newsround.
  • Meet the Press, a half hour, weekly discussion programme in which host Corin Dann and invited journalists interview a prominent newsmaker about a topical issue. This programme screens Sundays at 12 noon on PTV1.
  • Moana (formerly Te Ao with Moana), a half hour, weekly current affairs show that examines national and international stories through a Maori lens, in particular the lens of Moana Maniapoto as host. This programme, produced in association with Maori Television, screens Sundays at 12.30pm on PTV1. Please note: The title of the programme has no relation to the Disney film of the same name.

Once again, @Leo_Puglisi6 loved all my ideas and said he couldn’t complain.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback, @Leotv - I appreciate it.

PTV News Today
I intend to make PTV News Today the must-watch early morning news programme for New Zealanders who want to start the day fully informed, with Wendy Petrie (poached from TVNZ) leading the charge.

Unlike most other morning news services, like Breakfast on TVNZ 1, PTV News Today - to me - is like a television version of RNZ’s Morning Report, with the inclusion of advertising. It focuses more on current events, and does not include magazine or lifestyle segments. There are rolling bulletins of national and international news, sport, business and weather information, running from 6-8.30am Monday to Friday on PTV1.

What’s more, PTV News Today focuses more on the news with less emphasis on the personalities. It also acts as a replacement for The AM Show (with hosts Duncan Garner, Amanda Gillies and Mark Richardson).

There are no plans to introduce a Saturday edition of PTV News Today, but “Sunday” - similar in format to the CBS News Sunday Morning programme from the American CBS network with Mitch McCann as host - is planned. Screening at 9am, Sunday is a mixture of news, current affairs, politics, film reviews, arts features and music in a two-hour, magazine-style format. The programme is progressively non-commercial, due to the Broadcasting Act 1989 which states that no advertising can be shown on New Zealand television between 6am and noon on Sundays.

Nightline and PTV Late News
Unlike the TV3/Three version from 1990 until 2013, the new look Nightline - to me - is like a television version of RNZ’s Checkpoint, with the inclusion of advertising. Like PTV News Today in the morning, it focuses more on the facts with less emphasis on the arts, entertainment and pop culture.

The 45 minute, late night programme - similar to that of TVNZ’s Eye Witness News from the 1980s - features a vast array of reports covering news, sport, business, weather and current affairs, sourced primarily from the PTV News newsroom but often also A Current Affair and international sources like ABC America. It screens weeknights at around 10.30pm on PTV1.

Each edition of Nightline begins with a late news segment read by Janika ter Ellen, keeping viewers updated with a wrap of the day’s major stories and breaking news from New Zealand and around the world. After the news, Mitch McCann takes over as anchor and delves deeper into the significant events and issues of the day by offering a blend of current affairs and background stories. At the conclusion of the programme, Janika returns to the news desk to present a summary of the headlines and tomorrow’s weather forecast.

On weekends, a late news bulletin for 10-15 minutes is planned. My intention is to ensure that PTV News will become available 24 hours a day via its online home at ptvnews.co.nz and the PTV News Now app for mobile devices and tablets, but some viewers may struggle with the technology and prefer the simplicity of watching the news on television.

Along with the weekend edition of PTV National News (at 6pm) on PTV1, there are News Updates right throughout the evening with a late bulletin to follow (at around 10.30pm for 15 minutes on Saturday and 10 minutes on Sunday). The late news will be read by Tom McRae, i.e. the same anchor for the 6pm bulletin that evening.

In the event of a Rugby Championship/Bledisloe Cup match (Wallabies v All Blacks) played in Australia, i.e. Sydney, the late news will be replaced with a shorter, five minute newsbreak, which will screen during half time.

1 Like

PTV RADIO (Part 1)

Earlier this year (in 2020), my intention was to replace Magic Talk with an ‘even better’ commercial news talk network that was not a copy of Newstalk ZB.

Called PTV Radio, I describe it as a joint venture between PTV Network New Zealand (Patrick Te Pou Enterprises Ltd) and MediaWorks Radio, the #1 radio network in the country with 2.4 million* listeners every week - see below for the “Make Some Noise” video courtesy of Vimeo.

PTV Radio is New Zealand’s newest commercial news talk station – the station listeners turn to for breaking news, opinions and the latest information on the stories that matter. It draws on the resources of PTV Network’s significant News and Current Affairs department and its dedicated radio team, and plays host to some of New Zealand’s best known personalities on talk radio.

Our programmes are packed with current affairs, news coverage as it happens and open-line talkback. On weekends, PTV Radio offers a vast array of magazine-style talk shows covering DIY, gardening, motoring, pets, real estate, technology, travel and other lifestyle topics, hosted by a number of specialist presenters.

MediaWorks Radio has a three-year agreement with New Zealand Cricket (NZC) and PTV Radio is also ‘your home for live cricket commentary’.

Our listeners are information seekers, aged between 35-64. They are business owners and decision makers, and large purchasers of household goods and big-ticket items. If your business is targeting this very active and influential target demographic, you need PTV Radio – ‘your new voice of talk radio’.

@OnAir @TV4 @nztv What do you think?

More to come in Part 2.

*GFK commercial radio total NZ S4/2020, CUME (000’s), AP 10+, Mon-Sun, 12mn - 12mn

1 Like

PTV RADIO (Part 2)

Below is a schedule and descriptions for PTV Radio’s weekday programming.

The Overnighter
with Tony Amos (Mon-Fri, 12-5am)
Tony Amos is the man for all you night owls out there; non-stop talkback to take you right through the night. Always on the other end of the telephone to take your calls and join the conversation.

The First Edition
with Anna Thomas (Mon-Fri, 5-6am)
The Early Edition is PTV Radio’s early morning news programme and is presented by Anna Thomas. This action-packed hour of radio brings you everything you need to know before breakfast - all the overnight news, the latest in business and finance, detailed weather forecasts, rural updates and your complete briefing on the news agenda for the day ahead.

Breakfast
with Ryan Bridge (Mon-Fri, 6-9am)
Ryan Bridge gives you a fresh start to your morning with PTV Radio’s unique, fresh and innovative breakfast show. It looks back at overnight events and looks forward to the important stories making the news in the day ahead, along with international correspondents, interviews with newsmakers, panel discussions and commentary on the issues that affect almost every New Zealander. Joining Ryan each morning as co-hosts are award-winning newsreader Niva Retimanu and sports anchor Andrew Gourdie, who provide news and sports updates every half hour. Weather and regional news are delivered by Heather Keats in Auckland and local announcers elsewhere.

Morning Talk (except Coromandel and Eastern Bay of Plenty)
with Mark Sainsbury (Mon-Fri, 9am-noon)
Mark Sainsbury, one of New Zealand’s most respected broadcasters, is back. His open-line talkback is robust, opinionated and covers all the burning issues of the day. Couple this with entertaining interviews, visiting celebrities and dignitaries and this makes for lively mornings on PTV Radio.

Coromandel Mornings (Coromandel only)
with Rex Simpson (Mon-Fri, 9am-noon)
Live from Thames, Rex Simpson is the host of PTV Radio’s ‘live and local’ morning show for Coromandel listeners (in place of Mark Sainsbury’s slot). If you’re in the Coromandel, Rex talks to the people within the community, puts a local spin on topical issues and takes your calls on open-line talkback. Listeners in the area can talk to Rex on-air through the same phone number as More FM Coromandel, in real life, i.e. 0800 CORO FM (0800 267 636).

Eastern Bay Mornings (Eastern Bay of Plenty only)
with Judy Turner (Mon-Fri, 9am-noon)
Whakatane Mayor Judy Turner is the host of PTV Radio’s ‘live and local’ morning show for Eastern Bay of Plenty listeners (in place of Mark Sainsbury’s slot). Live from Whakatane, this show has guests, interviews and talkback, with a particular focus on events and issues of relevance to the Eastern Bay community. If MediaWorks acquires the Whakatane based Radio Bay of Plenty (i.e. 1XX, Bayrock and Q97), listeners can talk to Mayor Turner on-air through the same phone number as 1XX, in real life, i.e. 0800 308 622.

Business Lunch
with Andrew Patterson (Mon-Fri, noon-1pm)
Business Lunch is PTV Radio’s lunchtime financial news programme, and is presented by respected broadcaster and business journalist Andrew Patterson. It features the latest business, economic and financial news, market updates and interviews with the key newsmakers in the business world.

Afternoon Talk
with Wallace Chapman (Mon-Fri, 1-4pm)
Personable and engaging, Wallace Chapman gets to the heart of the issues facing us as real New Zealanders and takes your calls on afternoon talkback.

Drive
with Corin Dann (Mon-Fri, 4-7pm)
With the unique, fresh and innovative ability to put into words what the average New Zealander is thinking, Corin Dann drives you home with PTV Radio’s flagship drive show – on air weekdays from 4pm. Featuring live crosses to reporters, interviews, panels, commentary and a bit of talkback, plus news, sports, weather and regional news updates every half hour. Joining Corin after 6pm as co-host is Newsroom’s Nikki Mandow or NZ Herald’s Duncan Bridgeman for an hour-long wrap of the essential business news and in-depth market analysis as the business day wraps up.

Sportsline
with Goran Paladin (Mon-Fri, 7-8pm)
Goran Paladin is the host of Sportsline, PTV Radio’s nightly show dedicated to sports news and talk, along with features from the sporting world. The open line fires up every night from Monday to Friday, so jump in and have your say on-air!

Night Talk
with Leah Panapa (Mon-Fri, 8pm-12am)
Leah Panapa, one of New Zealand’s well known voices on radio, rounds off the day on PTV Radio. Her fast moving open-line talkback allows you to take part in the current issues of the day.

News, sport and weather on the hour, every hour.
5-9am & 4-7pm: News, sport and weather every half hour.
9am-4pm & 7pm-12am: News headlines at 30 minutes past every hour.

More to come in Part 3.

I like it Paddy but Ryan Bridge is a disaster waiting to happen Haha.

Please do not be rude to Ryan. He is an experienced journalist and broadcaster, and what I am looking for is an ‘even better’ breakfast host than Mike Hosking on Newstalk ZB and a ‘much better’ breakfast show for radio only, not both (i.e. radio and television).

When it comes to PTV Network, my intention is to bring back A Current Affair as a homage to Genevieve Westcott, who died recently, and hire him as anchor of this serious, nightly current affairs programme. Lisa Owen, in addition to her commitments to RNZ’s Checkpoint, will serve as fill-in anchor if Ryan is absent.

I like Mike.

Same. Please do not be rude to Mike.

:laughing:

I am not being rude to well known personalities in New Zealand.

Here’s a custom-made picture using Microsoft PowerPoint - featuring one of the brightest young journalists from Newshub (in real life), Mitch McCann, in an advertisement promoting the new look Nightline on my dream television network. It is inspired by @Leo_Puglisi6’s own picture.

2 Likes

I think it’s better to not have the “in the mood” slogan for news/current affair promotions

4 Likes

This is an amended version of the custom-made picture in which I created earlier, using Microsoft PowerPoint. According to @MichaelPower, he asked me not to include my network’s “In the Mood” slogan which is taken from a Glenn Miller song.

When it comes to news and current affairs programmes on my network, I had to adopt “More New Zealanders get their news from PTV News than any other news source” as a complement to the main slogan which focuses solely on entertainment.

2 Likes

Hi!

I have an important message as we welcome in 2021.

2020 has been a very rough year due to Covid-19. Hopefully, 2021 will be much better. May every day of the New Year glow with good cheer and happiness for you and your family.

And just a reminder from me: my dream television network - Patrick Te Pou Enterprises Ltd (trading as PTV Network New Zealand) - is in the pipeline and PTV Radio (a joint venture with MediaWorks, which owns and operates Magic Talk in real life) is on the cards. As told by my friends and relatives during the past year, I promise not to give up and turn my dream business into reality.

My uncle - political commentator Shane Te Pou - described me as a ‘savant’ of the New Zealand media. Watch the text-based message below (via YouTube).

From me, Patrick Te Pou (Paddy), I wish all of you a Happy New Year.

Dedicated to @nztv, @OnAir, @TV4, @Zacgb, @Leo_Puglisi6, @MichaelPower, @foxyrover, @Biscuit45 and @theGradyConnell.

6 Likes

Happy new year to you Paddy and everyone on here. I always enjoy the commentary on this forum.

3 Likes

You’re more than welcome, @nztv!

2 Likes

Happy New Year @PaddyTePou! I always enjoy reading your interesting ideas for NZ media. You have a great knowledge of the people involved.

4 Likes

Thanks for your feedback, @OnAir!