Princess Diana Death (1997)

An account of the day

https://forever.collingwoodfc.com.au/the-day-diana-died/#:~:text=The%20information%20was%20initially%20sketchy,am%20Sunday%20morning%20Melbourne%20time.

The accident had happened at 12.30am Paris time, which was 8.30am Sunday morning Melbourne time. By noon Diana had been pronounced dead, and it was released publicly just before 2pm.

The fan recalled: “I thought if it was true, there would be some sort of announcement. Sure enough, about five minutes later an announcement on the screen said: ‘The French government has just announced that Diana, Princess of Wales, has died this morning as a result of a car crash in a Paris tunnel.’

1 Like

Cheers thanks for the confirmation. I thought the news broke in the afternoon. But it is hard to remember being a kid at the time.

I swear I’ve seen that Peter Mitchell update on here somewhere.

1 Like

Nine’s line-up that night

6 Likes

ABC News Flash

Nine afternoon rolling coverage - after that initial news flash I posted above, Nine went back to the swimming but then came back with another news flash then rolling coverage.

Seven also broke into programming in Brisbane.

5 Likes

Simpler times back in 1997. Nine’s schedule for that night (as shown above)

6.00pm: News (which i would have imagined been devoted entirely to Diana)
6.30pm: News Special
7.30pm: 60 Minutes Special
8.30pm: movie

Prior to the 6pm News, did Nine have rolling coverage? From memory, Seven did, but not sure what time that started.

Ad nauseam of endless rolling coverage if a tragedy happens these days (on Seven and Nine).

1 Like

See post above for rolling coverage from both.

Here is the first part of Nine’s 6pm news from Nine Brisbane.

6 Likes

I remember that report on Sunday and then hearing about her death in the afternoon, on the radio as a news flash, after I just mowed the lawn.

1 Like

It was an interesting time back then… networks very rarely did rolling news coverage. It was usually extended newsbreaks and updates.

1 Like

Rolling coverage usually meant linking to and switching between overseas rolling coverage - CNN, BBC, Sky. Very little was instigated or analysed in Australia.

2 Likes

Most TV newsrooms (here) just weren’t set up for it. It was also a lot harder to do rolling coverage back then compered to now. Heck, most news presenters didn’t even know how to go off script or tread water.

2 Likes

What match was this?

Nth Melbourne vs. Collingwood

2 Likes

It was Essendon vs Adelaide at he MCG… the Collingwood match was playing across town.

That match was at Optus wasn’t it?

1 Like

Maybe it was at Princes Park. But I would say both matches had the 7 news update with Peter Mitchell. Not sure if the update was broadcast during or prior to the matches.

1 Like

One week after the death of Princess Diana the funeral was held 6 September 1997. Today is the 25th anniversary.

The funeral is one of the most watched TV events of all time.

A few caps.

The news that night also featured the death of Mother Teresa.

9 Likes

Seven was always pairing Anne Sanders (Sydney) and David Johnson (Melbourne) up for big news events in the late 90s.

3 Likes

Ray Martin’s introduction to Princess Di Funeral (with crosses to Mark Burrows and Jennifer Keyte)

3 Likes

Didn’t realised Keyte worked with Nine

1 Like

And here is Ray Martin’s outro after Princess Di Funeral broadcast

1 Like