Podcasts

Big events drive huge numbers to ABC listen over Summer

Key events have driven record numbers to the ABC’s audio on demand platform ABC listen app in the first month of the year.

The combination of listeners tuning into the ABC’s expanded sport coverage and the annual triple j Hottest 100 countdown saw the ABC listen app achieve its highest weekly users on records, with 517,000 people using the app in the week of 21 to 27 January.

Since late December, ABC Sport also achieved their top 4 daily stream records, including number one on 5 January with 136,000 streams.

Our big Summer of sport continues to bring record listeners with a total of 1.35 million live sport streams in January and our 2nd and 3rd highest weekly live sport streams on record in December and January via the ABC listen app.

The ABC has every Australian International Test match, all Men’s and Women’s One Day Internationals and T20 matches as well as the Women’s Big Bash League on dedicated sport streams, giving Australians unlimited access to cricket at every level.

The ABC also partnered with the Australian Open for the first time since 2015. Our coverage was a hit with audiences who were able to hear the morning and evening sessions from the tournament live and uninterrupted through a dedicated Australian Open button in the app.

ABC Head of Audio Ben Latimer said: “ABC listen is a fantastic product and we have been investing heavily in improvements to audience experience over the last 12 months as well as increasing our sport offering.”

“We have just run a dedicated marketing campaign over the Summer reminding audiences that ABC listen is full of incredible live and on demand content, which is accessible anytime, anywhere and always free.”

“This combined has meant we have seen a phenomenal 11% growth in ABC listen when compared to the same period last Summer.”

Listen anywhere, anytime. ABC listen has all your favourite programs and podcasts in one place.

1 Like

TO HUNT FOR THE SPY WHO BETRAYED AUSTRALIA LiSTNR LAUNCHES SECOND SERIES OF SECRETS WE KEEP

LiSTNR has today released the second series of Secrets We Keep, which is a thrilling global story about secrets, power, national security and how countries behave when they think no-one is watching.

Secrets We Keep: Nest of Traitors follows LiSTNR investigative journalist, Joey Watson on his three-year hunt to find the spy who betrayed Australia. The extraordinary series is a high stakes investigation that reaches into the present, with the global conflict at the heart of this story now back at the forefront of world politics.

In the early 1990s, ASIO (Australian Security Intelligence Organisation) discovered that during the Cold War, the organisation was penetrated by a mole. One of its own spies had turned double agent for the Soviet Union and began leaking information to the KGB to bring down ASIO from the inside. For decades the identity of the mole remained a mystery, the extent of the damage they caused unknown, and the story was covered up.

Over seven episodes, Watson navigates the murky world of espionage on his hunt for the spy and the real story.

Watson said: “When I set out on this journey, many warned me how difficult investigating a story like this would be, as the spy world is built on deception. But I was pulled in, and what started as a true crime ‘who dunnit’ yarn, quickly evolved into a much bigger story about secrets and power.

“Having studied ASIO during this period I have learnt a lot about Australia – both then, and now.”

LiSTNR Head of News and Information, Melanie Withnall, said: “Joey’s incredible exploration of international espionage takes so many twists and turns that it’s hard to believe these events happened in Australia, but they did. Our LiSTNR news team is focused on bringing listeners extraordinary stories that are woven into Australia’s fabric and with Secrets We Keep: Nest of Traitors, we have delivered one of the most riveting news stories of recent times.”

Building on the success of Secrets We Keep: Shame, Lies and Family, which explored the unconscionable circumstances of forced adoption in Australia in the 1960s and 1970s, the new series investigates the high stakes environment of international espionage during one of the tensest periods in history.

Secrets We Keep: Nest of Traitors is a new seven-part series. The first two episodes are available now on LiSTNR.

1 Like

Legendary broadcaster Neil Mitchell is back with the new season of the Neil Mitchell Asks Why podcast, boasting a fresh new format and unmissable line-up of guests from all walks of life.

Each new episode delivers frank and fascinating conversations, ranging from extraordinary personal revelations from one of Australia’s favourite gold medal contenders at the 2024 Paris Olympic Games, to the leading Australian doctor facing his inevitable death and what it’s teaching him, and the superwoman who broke a world record but wanted to give up every step of the way.

And while Neil has stepped back from his iconic 3AW Mornings program, podcast listeners won’t miss out on what he does best – sharp analysis and opinion on the biggest issues of the day, with thoughtful breakdowns on everything from immigration to housing, politics and health.

On the return of Neil Mitchell Asks Why, Neil said: “I don’t know how many times on radio over the years I have said “we’re out of time but we could talk for an hour about this’. Now we can. And I’m hungry; this is the longest I have been away from a microphone in more than 35 years. I’ve got things to say, news to analyse and fascinating people I want to talk to at length.”

“With this new podcast season the shackles are off. There will be in-depth interviews of course, digging behind the people making news. And we will introduce a current affairs edge, with the main issues facing Australia explained, analysed and debated.

“It will be fun. Bring it on. Nobody else has time to do this properly. We can, and we will.”

Season 2 of Neil Mitchell Asks Why launched on February 4 and will drop weekly on all major podcast platforms.

NEIL MITCHELL ASKS WHY
EPISODE 1 AVAILABLE 4 FEBRUARY
VIA APPLE PODCASTS & SPOTIFY

2 Likes

Australia to wake up with the country’s most renowned journalists on ‘The Morning Edition’

Some of Australia’s most renowned journalists will reveal the stories behind the stories everyone is talking about in daily podcast series The Morning Edition, launched today by The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age.

Hosted by journalist Samantha Selinger-Morris, the podcast – which will drop every weekday at 5am – will feature the Herald and Age’s award-winning journalists such as Kate McClymont exposing Australia’s biggest scandals and fraudsters; Nick McKenzie revealing his latest blockbuster investigation, or Ross Gittins explaining economics as only Ross can.

The Morning Edition have two regular episodes: Peter Hartcher every Thursday to dissect the biggest issues at home and abroad, and on Friday Jacqueline Maley and David Crowe take you behind the biggest stories in Canberra.

“I have a burning desire to understand what’s going on, and here I get to speak to some of the finest – and most experienced – minds in the business,” said Samantha Selinger-Morris. “What a joy and relief it is when they help me, and by extension our listeners, to understand the swirling political, environmental, and often criminal forces that surround us.”

The Morning Edition is the latest iteration of the Please Explain podcast, which launched in 2018. Originally a weekly insight into the news it has evolved into Australia’s best daily news podcast, and has been the recipient of Best Daily Podcast at the 2023 Australian Podcast Awards.

“Our podcast has evolved considerably over the past six years and we’re incredibly excited that evolution continues today as the name becomes The Morning Edition,” said Chris Paine, Head of Premium Content for the metro mastheads.

“It may be a new name and a new look, but the DNA remains: the story behind the story with the best journalists in the country. And with Sam behind the microphone, I cannot wait to see The Morning Edition grow to become every Australian’s news podcast of choice.”

Head of podcasting, Ruby Schwartz, said: “I am looking forward to seeing where Sam takes The Morning Edition in 2024. She is a brilliant and inquisitive host who helps me better understand the big stories of the day through her rigorous and thoughtful questions. And with a US presidential election just around the corner, and geopolitical struggles not seen in generations taking place, that’s never been more important.”

The Morning Edition is available through The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age, Brisbane Times, WAToday and major podcast platforms Spotify, Google and Apple.

1 Like

The LiSTNR Network reaches more than 6.7 million listeners^ in January -

LiSTNR begins 2024 as Australia’s no. 1 Sales Representation^ Podcast Network, reaching more than 6.7 million listeners in January, according to the Australian Podcast Ranker. In addition, LiSTNR has sales representation of more podcasts in the top 50 of the Top 200 Australian Podcast Ranker*, than any other network.

There was outstanding growth for LiSTNR’s owned and operated titles in the All-Australian Top 200 Podcasts January Ranker**, including Darling, Shine!, Do You F*cking Mind, KICPOD, The Marty Sheargold Show, The Rush Hour with JB and Billy, Crime Insiders, Motley Fool Money, Luke and Sassy Scott, Willow Talk, That’s Enough Already with Urzila Carlson, The Jess Rowe Big Talk Show, Sooshi Mango Saucy Meatballs, Bedtime Explorers and Rusty’s Garage, which all went up in their rankings. In addition, Hamish & Andy remained in the top five Australian podcasts, despite not publishing a new episode in January.

LiSTNR also saw tremendous upward movement of titles from its international partners, Wondery and SXM, in the Top 200 Podcast Ranker*, including The Mel Robbins Podcast, The Mindset Mentor, The School of Greatness, 99% Invisible, Pod Save America, British Scandal, This is Actually Happening, Something Was Wrong, Office Ladies, Scamfluencers, Against the Odds, StarTalk Radio, The Deck, Critical Role, Snapped: Women Who Murder, How I Built This with Guy Raz and Business Wars.
“It was great to have both our owned and operated titles, along with our international partner titles, move up the ranker in January and to increase our monthly listeners from December. This is a testament to all the hard work from the entire LiSTNR team,” SCA Executive Head LiSTNR Podcasts, Grant Tothill, said.

“Looking ahead we are expecting this strong audience growth to continue. Our new podcast Secrets We Keep: Nest of Traitors is already delivering impressive listening numbers, we are today launching new crime drama Gripped: Second Son and on 29 February, we will welcome the return of Hamish & Andy. We also expect to see exciting growth thanks to Happy Hour with Lucy & Nikki and the return of regular publishing of our radio podcasts. This all adds up to a very strong foundation set by the LiSTNR team, which we’ll continue to build on throughout 2024.

“As LiSTNR continues to improve its ad-tech capability and first party data, now advertisers have more and more reasons to use podcast advertising to reach new audiences,” Tothill concluded.

*Sources: *Australian Podcast Ranker Top 200 Podcasts – January 2024, *All-Australian Podcast Ranker Top 200 Podcasts – January 2024, ^Australian Podcast Ranker - Top Sales Representatives – January 2024.

ABC titles rocket up the chart in the January podcast ranker

ABC podcasts are among the big movers in the January Triton Podcast Ranker released today.

This month saw the ABC achieve our highest ever ranking in the list with Conversations the third most listened to Podcast in Australia in January and adding an additional 57,000 listeners across the month.

The ABC Tennis Podcast was the highest debut on the January list landing at number 61. The limited run podcast formed part of the ABC’s comprehensive coverage of the Australian Open which has proven to be a hit with audiences over Summer.

Our biggest mover this month was The World Today with Sally Sara which has made an enormous leap between December and January jumping 86 places to crack the top 100 at number 96.

After debuting on the list in December, triple j podcast and 2023 Australian Podcast Award winner The Hook Up shot up 27 places in January to place at number 170. In addition to the growing podcast audience, videos from The Hook Up reach huge audiences on ABC social platforms.​

Other big moves this month were AM up 14 places to number 65, Life Matters up 13 places to 59 and What’s That Rash, which has continued to climb the list since it was launched in November and is up another 10 places on the January list to number 41.

The ABC also maintains the third position in the publisher ranking with more than 2.2 million listeners in January.

ABC Head of Audio Ben Latimer said: “It’s particularly exciting to see The ABC Tennis Podcast resonate with audiences this month. This is the first time we have partnered with the Australian Open since 2015 and these results show the impact of the ABC making premiere sport content available to all Australians.”

“Congratulations to our ever-popular Conversations on placing third this month. The team have consistently delivered engaging, high-quality episodes over Summer which are clearly captivating audiences.”

The full Triton Australian Podcast Ranker can be found here.

Audiences can enjoy all the ABC’s podcasts free and ad free on ABC listen.

1 Like

NO CHALLENGE OFF THE TABLE FOR THE BLOCK’S ELIZA AND LIBERTY IN ‘TRY BEFORE YOU DIE’ PODCAST

Fan favourites from The Block, Eliza and Liberty, had never been on a building site before becoming contestants, and most surprisingly, runners up on the show! With a new outlook on life, the sisters are ready to give more weird, whacky and wonderful experiences a crack. This is how their new podcast Try Before You Die was born.

In every episode the girls challenge themselves and each other to push beyond their boundaries. Whether it’s attempting speed dating, life drawing, larping, veganism, stand-up comedy, or any other trend capturing the zeitgeist – Eliza and Liberty want to Try Before You Die.

The podcast also allows the self-confessed ‘spinster sisters’ to passionately debate topics at hand, whilst sharing their own real and raw life experiences. They want to hold themselves accountable and face their fears head on, no matter how overwhelming they seem.

Liberty said: “I want to continue doing things that scare me and challenge me, as this is where the magic happens. I hope this resonates with our listeners, and they too can join us outside of their comfort zones.”

Eliza feels differently, saying: “To be honest, I’m not that excited about feeling uncomfortable and inevitably making a fool of myself, but doing this stuff is teaching us a lot about ourselves and making us feel alive!”

Try Before You Die launches on Thursday 15th February with new episodes dropping weekly everywhere you get your podcasts.

1 Like
1 Like

After 2 years, it seems Network 10’s podcasts are no longer exclusive to Listnr with all of them removed from the platform, with the only co-production to come out of the partnership being Shockwaves: The Bali Bombings still on there.

Another digital partnership which seemingly went nowhere for the network.

‘Nobody wants a podcast about advertising’ – AdMission pod launches with Russel Howcroft and Freddie Young

Iconic Australian ad guru Russel Howcroft and industry up-and-comer Freddie Young from Good One Creative have today launched their experimental, no spin advertising podcast, AdMission, in partnership with 9Podcasts.

AdMission tells the uncensored stories behind the world’s most talked about brands, ideas, campaigns, advertising news and industry screw ups, as well as offering sharp insight into some of the greatest creative ideas and businesses.

Bringing their own unique perspectives to the pod, Russel and Freddie offer listeners the ‘then’ and ‘now’ of advertising. Russel is Melbourne’s number one rating breakfast radio host (on 3AW with Ross Stevenson), with a lifetime of knowledge and experience shaped in the glory days of advertising, and Freddie; a millennial working in a fragmented media landscape dominated by strict standards, an ever changing sociocultural landscape, and not to mention TikTok.

Together, they bicker, agree to disagree, and reveal the tricks, history and philosophy behind some of the world’s most recognisable brands, all while attempting to answer some of the biggest marketing dilemmas facing the industry: How has Donald Trump become the favourite again to win the US Election? Why doesn’t traditional advertising make money anymore? How has Taylor Swift become the most marketable person on the planet? Why is wine the hardest product to advertise?

Russel Howcroft said: “I’m actually really excited to see the results of this experiment. I’ve challenged 26-year-old Freddie Young, from Good One, to prove that he knows way more about advertising than I do. Good luck, Freddie. Tune in to find out.”

Freddie Young said: “I’m really looking forward to us having the time to sit down and flesh some of these ideas out. I like giving him a hard time but, truthfully, we’re yet to broach a subject about which he hasn’t got an honest-to-god opinion. Whenever something in the news catches my attention, he’s the first person I’ll ask about it; for context, for colour. He’s a walking library of Australian business, media, and culture. Except libraries could probably teach him a thing or two about how to shut up.”

AdMission launches today, Tuesday 20th February and will be dropping weekly wherever you get your podcasts.

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

Yumi Stynes returns for season two of SBS podcast ‘SEEN’

Eight new trailblazers join feminist Australian icon Yumi Stynes to unravel their personal stories and what it’s like forging your own path without positive media representation.

Yumi Stynes returns for a second riveting season of Seen – the interview podcast that talks to inspirational Australians who have come from under-represented backgrounds and communities and made astonishing impacts on our culture.

Step into the amazing life stories of season two guests including Dr Amy Thunig, whose bestselling memoir chronicles growing up with a parent struggling with addiction, alongside drag royalty Kween Kong, AFL Women’s star player Darcy Vescio, domestic violence advocate Tarang Chawla, and others.

Host Yumi Stynes said: “These are stories of triumph over voices of judgement, hate and doubt, of bravely taking up space, and finding the happiness you deserve.

“As an Asian, single, working mum, I think a lot about my own identity. I mean, I’m confident and work hard but still I grapple with motherhood, the maddening persistence of sexism, daily casual racism, gendered violence, death threats, and generational cycles that need to be broken.”

Poignant first-person stories include that of celebrity chef Khanh Ong, who was born in an overcrowded Indonesian refugee camp and arrived in Australia by boat, and Antonia Burke, who once wished she could scrub her dark skin white and now uses her professional knowledge to advocate for her Tiwi Islands community against big gas companies.

Exploring how perceptions of gender, queerness and cultural identity can create harmful stereotypes and hurdles, Seen deep dives into the impact of inequality and celebrates inclusion and diverse voices.

“I talk to some of the most inspiring people in the country. These are people who subvert the narratives of being the ‘model’ minority – they disrupt and they break cycles of trauma,” said Stynes.

ESPN expanding AFL & NRL audio coverage

The ESPN Podcast Network has ESPN sporting fans covered as the ESPN Footy Podcast, ‘Footyology’ and NRL Boom Rookies lead the pack for a bumper footy season.

1 Like

February podcast ranker features more titles from ABC than from any other publisher

The ABC once again has the most titles featured in the Triton Podcast Ranker with the February results released today.

The ABC had 30 titles in the ranker and maintained the number 3 publisher position. The ABC also had 43 titles on the All-Australian ranker, making it the number one publisher on that list as well.

Audiences were clearly waiting in anticipation for the return of If You’re Listening which made the biggest jump on this month’s list up 159 places to number 35 and adding 126,000 listeners.

More than 156,000 people tuned into the podcast in February to hear host Matt Bevan explaining the biggest story in world news each week all while hiding in his basement from assassins and authoritarian regimes.

One of the ABC’s most recent releases Global Roaming with Geraldine Doogue and Hamish MacDonald debuted in its first full month at 112 on the list.

The program which discusses international affairs with a focus on Asia and the Pacific and Australia’s place in it, launched on 16 January and also spent a weekend at number 1 in the News category in the Apple Podcast charts.

Conversations is still the ABC’s number 1 podcast coming in at number 5 in February.

ABC Head of Audio Ben Latimer said: “As Australia’s public broadcaster, audiences come to the ABC for trusted, high quality & distinctive speech audio. The sheer breadth and depth of the ABC podcast catalogue, featured in Triton’s February Ranker, demonstrates the ABC is here to serve everyone and we’re here to invest in Australian stories told by Australian people.”

The full Triton Australian Podcast Ranker can be found here.

LiSTNR IS AUSTRALIA’S NO. 1 SALES REPRESENTATION PODCAST NETWORK^ WITH ALMOST 7 MILLION LISTENERS

- LiSTNR published podcasts grow by more than 550,000 monthly listeners year on year ^ -

LiSTNR is once again Australia’s no. 1 sales representation^ podcast network, reaching almost 7 million listeners in February, according to the Australian Podcast Ranker.

LiSTNR achieved more than 6.995 million listeners last month and has 18 podcasts in the top 50 of the Top 200 Australian Podcast Ranker*, more than double that of its closest competitor.

In addition, LiSTNR’s published ‘owned and operated’ podcasts grew their monthly audience to 3.178 million listeners, an increase of 552,877 monthly listeners year on year.

7am with Schwartz Media continued its run as the number one news podcast and The Howie Games is the most popular sports podcast in the Top 200 Podcasts.

In addition, Happy Hour with Lucy & Nikki made a stunning debut at number 16 with 261,201 monthly listeners on the Top 200 Podcasts.

Other popular LiSTNR podcasts in the top 50 include Hamish & Andy, Crime Junkie, Darling, Shine!, It’s A Lot with Abbie Chatfield, Morbid and Hamish & Andy’s Remembering Project.

Several podcasts were big movers in the February ranker*, including The Marty Sheargold Show with 147,490 listeners (up by more than 49,000), and with the return of the footy season, The Rush Hour with JB & Billy grew its audience by more than 63,000 to 125,976. Matt & Alex’s All Day Breakfast increased its audience by 15,893, while CommSec Market Update was up 20,792 to 88,872 monthly listeners and Fifi, Fev and Nick grew by 20,403 to 45,995 listeners.

In addition, the new Secrets We Keep – Nest of Traitors attracted 99,625 listeners marking its return to the Top 200.

Other debuts on the ranker included Mr Ballen Podcast: Strange, Dark & Mysterious Stories, The Megyn Kelly Show, Dark Downeast and The Scorecard Daily Sports News.

“LiSTNR has increased its overall audience in February to strengthen its uncontested number one Sales Representation Network position. On a year-on-year basis from February 2023 to February 2024, LiSTNR’s published ‘owned and operated’ audience has increased by more than 550,000 monthly listeners in today’s Australian Podcast Ranker results. In addition, Hamish & Andy are back with a brand-new season that launched on 29 February, and as the radio ratings season and AFL and NRL footy seasons kick off, our radio and sports podcasts will continue to grow listeners,” SCA Executive Head LiSTNR Podcasts, Grant Tothill, said.

“The latest Secrets We Keep investigative podcast, Nest of Traitors, which launched at the start of February is really starting to build audience and with new works in the pipeline Secrets We Keep will continue to grow and strengthen our investigative story telling position.”

SCA Chief Commercial Officer, Seb Rennie, said: “Today’s Australian Podcast Ranker results are a strong demonstration of LiSTNR’s audience growth and listener engagement. With the launch of LiSTNR’s AdTech Hub this month providing deep insights and a privacy first environment, and a new, improved user experience on the refreshed LiSTNR app, there are even more compelling reasons for advertisers to take advantage of the unique benefits that podcast advertising brings and engage with listeners on a deeper level."

Sources: *Australian Podcast Ranker Top 200 Podcasts – February 2024, ^Australian Podcast Ranker - Top Sales Representatives – February 2024.

ARE YOU ‘TOO MUCH’? YOU’RE IN EXCELLENT COMPANY WITH FW’S NEW PODCAST

Listen to the trailer for Too Much HERE

In FW’s latest podcast, Too Much, eight high achieving women share the suffocating stereotypes they’ve faced at work. Whether they were labelled “too outspoken”, “too emotional”, “too gentle” or “too young”, these female leaders were subject to discrimination or prejudice that shaped their careers and their sense of self.

Too Much host, and FW founder, Helen McCabe said “at a time when Australian businesses are grappling with gender pay gaps being made public and a lack of representation in senior roles, hearing stories that explain why women choose to leave male-dominated industries is crucial”.

“Every woman has been labelled ‘too something’ at work. The Too Much podcast is a chance for them to share their stories - often for the first time - as well as provide practical advice to other women about how to overcome stereotypes and find success in spite of them”.

The series begins with acclaimed international human rights lawyer Jennifer Robinson. For the first time, Robinson has publicly shared the discrimination she faced early in her career. The London-based barrister says she was treated with enormous disrespect by a senior colleague, describing the encounter as ”Like, go away little girl, you’re too young to be here.”

Other upcoming guests include former Australian of the Year Grace Tame, Hollywood producer and Made Up Stories co-founder Jodi Matterson and former Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop.

Too Much is FW’s 12th podcast for women. Other successful releases include the award-winning podcast There’s No Place Like Home, Mindset, Shortlisted, FW Leadership Series, Future Women with Jamila Rizvi, Next Generation Innovators, whose third season of which was hosted by Nine’s Brooke Boney, and Drive, which was hosted by Nine’s Georgie Gardner and Leila McKinnon during its first two seasons.

Too Much is proudly supported by Victoria Police, who are looking for more women to join their ranks. Episodes drop weekly from 5am AEDT Tuesday March 19.

The ABC has also released a podcast on the same topic called Mushroom Case Daily, hosted by Melbourne court reporter Kristian Silva.

1 Like