Plum

Well, I was going to say it’s another ABC drama with a one-word title that doesn’t do anything to sell it, but it’s the name of the book it’s based on. :grimacing:

1 Like

Brendan Cowell and Asher Keddie star in ABC’s new drama series Plum

ABC and Screen Australia are thrilled to announce that Brendan Cowell and Asher Keddie have joined forces to star in the powerful six-part drama series Plum, based on Brendan’s novel of the same name.

Filming in the Sutherland Shire, NSW, and premiering on ABC TV and ABC iview in 2025, Plum is produced by Roadshow Rough Diamond and Modern Convict Films. Brendan Cowell is creator and writer, alongside co-writer Fiona Seres (Love My Way, The Great), with Wayne Blair (Total Control, Bay of Fires) and Margie Beattie (Bump) directing.

Joining Brendan and Asher is an impressive cast including María Dupláa (The One, Evil Woman), Susie Porter (Wentworth, Cargo), Jemaine Clement (Avatar: The Way of Water, Flight of the Conchords), Charlotte Friels (The Dressmaker, Nitram),Crystal Nguyen (Erotic Stories), Talijah Blackman-Corowa (Black Snow), Andy Ryan (Janet King), Janet Anderson (Last King of the Cross), John Tui (Young Rock, Fast and the Furious Presents: Hobbs and Shaw), Jenni Baird (The Twelve, A Place to Call Home) and introducing Vincent Miller.

Plum follows Peter ‘The Plum’ Lum (Brendan Cowell), a 49-year-old national football treasure who lives with his son Gavin (Vincent Miller) and girlfriend Charmaine (María Dupláa) in Cronulla. It looks like Plum is living the dream until he discovers he has a brain disorder as result of the hundreds of head knocks and concussions he suffered on the field. The new diagnosis doesn’t receive its intended effect, as Plum would sooner hide, run and head to the pub for drinks with the boys and pretend everything is peaches. But hiding from the truth isn’t easy when your ex-wife (Asher Keddie) cares too much and your son comes to realise the father he worships is falling off his mantle and the game they love might be to blame.

Brendan Cowell says, “Plum is about my two favourite things; Sport and Poetry. Crafting this tale for the screen, about a scared man trying to change before it is too late, bears a deep connection for me, and I cannot wait to share it with audiences across Australia."

ABC Head of Scripted Rachel Okine says, “Our partners at Roadshow Rough Diamond and Modern Convict Films have brought together a powerhouse creative team to bring this project to life. We can’t wait to showcase this truthful, touching and humorous adaptation of Brendan Cowell’s novel about an ex-Rugby League player finding his voice.”

Screen Australia Director of Content Grainne Brunsdon says, “We are thrilled to be supporting the talented creative team to bring such a compelling and relevant story to television. Packed full of complex characters, Plum is a deeply moving series that will take us all on a journey of self-care and self-discovery. With Brendan and Asher leading the cast, Plum will have audiences hooked from the start.”

Plum will air on ABC TV and ABC iview in 2025.

Production Credits : Roadshow Rough Diamond and Modern Convict Films production. Major production investment from Screen Australia and the ABC. Financed with support from Screen NSW. Worldwide Distribution by Entertainment One. Executive Producer Brendan Cowell. Producers: John Edwards, Dan Edwards, and Jonathan Duncan. ABC Executive Producer Louise Smith. ABC Head of Scripted: Rachel Okine.

Plum was not mentioned in the ABC upfronts for 2023 or 2024.

The drama reunites many cast and crew members from Love My Way.