Play School

Yes ABC Kids.

1 Like

What’s wrong with that?

1 Like

Especially since there’s virtually no overlap between the audiences of Play School and Insiders.

1 Like

Could have got more viewers on a Saturday morning, like what Bluey does . Juat an assumption from my end. Lol.

ABC should air it in primetime too.

1 Like

The coverage of the 55th anniversary was a bit of a disappointment. It’s nice we got some more clip montages on YouTube, but the actual 55th anniversary special, “The Very Silly Play School Show” (themed around silliness) is exactly that.

1 Like

Was it realistic to expect Play School’s 55th anniversary to get as much coverage/hype/fanfare as the 30th, 40th or 50th? I think not.

I’m sure the target demographic of Play School would’ve enjoyed watching it though.

1 Like

Play School’s Very Jazzy Street Party Special

Friday 1 July 9.00am ABC Kids

Join Michelle, Justine, Matt and all the toys as they get ready for a big street celebration. This joyous episode includes special guest singer Monica Trapaga, a 5-piece jazz band, tap dancing, dress-ups and all your favourite songs, jazz style. It celebrates community and culminates in the grandest finale Play School has ever seen.

Musical appreciation emerges when children have many opportunities to listen to, observe and actively engage in a wide range of music right from the start. From hip-hop to classical, Peruvian pipe music to rhythmical body percussion, Play School has always delighted children around Australia with diverse musical styles and genres.

In Play School’s Very Jazzy Street Party, we explore one of the most playful and bold genres of them all, JAZZ! Jumping into the world of Jazz is an opportunity for children to build their developing understandings of each fundamental musical element – beat, rhythm, pitch, tempo and timbre.

Packed with surprising sounds, improvised syncopated rhythms and dynamic ways to get little bodies moving, Play School’s Very Jazzy Street Party will be a special event the whole family will enjoy!
Production credit: An ABC Children’s Production

2 Likes

They could have paid Monica respect by mentioning she was a former long time host of Play School.

Perhaps they didn’t want to be reminded of the shameful period in the late '90s when a lot of the highly popular, older presenters were culled to make way for young soapie starlets.

3 Likes

Play School – Lights, Camera, Action

Monday 22 August 9.00am

Is there anything that pre-schoolers love more than preparing for a show?

In “Lights Camera Action” Play School dives into the magic of television, film, theatre, animation, and radio. With a spotlight the arts in Early Childhood, this series explores the technical and creative fun of production; from planning a script and making props through to clever camerawork and the excitement of opening night.

“Through the Windows” we’ll see kids across Australia showing us what they love to create at home from a cooking show to a home-made stop motion animation.

Production credit: Series producers: Natasha Pizzica & Natalie Martin

I’m still dirty that they ditched Bettina and John after decades of service. There was always room for a mix of generations amongst the cast.

1 Like

If you walk into a playground and start to sing “There’s a bear in there”, chances are someone else at that playground will join you with “and a chair as well”.

For 56 years, Play School has taught Australian children and their families games, stories, songs and craft ideas.

To mark 90 years of broadcasting, the ABC has been asking Australians to share what the organisation has meant to them over the years through Your ABC Story.

2 Likes

Haha wtf. Who walks into a playground and starts singing “there’s a bear in there”?

If someone did that at my local playground I’d be calling the cops.

3 Likes

Liberal Senator Alex Antic has accused the ABC of “grooming” children by allowing a drag performer Courtney Act to read a children’s book on Play School about a girl who likes to wear trousers.

The claim sparked outrage in Senate estimates on Tuesday, with Greens Senator Sarah Hanson Young suggesting it was an entirely inappropriate use of term.

Senator Antic suggested the ABC was encouraging “gender dysphoria” by allowing a drag performer to read a children’s book on playschool.

The Spectacular Suit, by Kat Patrick, is about a young girl called Frankie who is preparing for her birthday party, but all her party dresses feel wrong. She ends up feeling comfortable wearing pants.

Senator Antic told Parliament what was being discussed was not ‘dressing up’ but a more adult concept.

In response, the ABC managing director David Anderson rejected the assertion.

“Senator, I don’t see that as grooming children with our content,” he said.

https://www.news.com.au/national/politics/abc-accused-of-grooming-kids-after-drag-queen-appeared-on-play-school/news-story/efc1dd82aa4fb6b01a4c575e2f40e589

Shocking, what has the ABC become :thinking:

images

5 Likes