Perth Telethon

50 years of Telethon in 12 months time. Expecting past celebrities to join in the fun as it’s an historic occasion for Perth.

1 Like

The new promo for the 50th telethon who is doing the VO

2 Likes

The Sunday Times caught up with 27 past and present Telethon kids last week. Did you know that Paralympic gold medallist Louise Sauvage was the 1976 Telethon child?

2 Likes

Leo Sayer is the ‘big act’ they have to headline the 50th year :thinking::roll_eyes:

As posted in Seven News presenters thread, Sarah Cumming will appear on this weekend’s Telethon. Also appearing are (according to Telethon’s Facebook page):

3 Likes

With the Sunday Times offices no more, the Phone Room (Cirrus Call Centre) this year is at the PCEC bringing the broadcast area and the Phone Room back together for the first time since the days of 7 Studios @ Dianella.

Will be interesting to see how it looks and feels.

1 Like

Appearing on the Telethon

3 Likes

As someone who doesn’t watch commercial TV I wouldn’t even know it was on without MediaSpy reminding me. Seven don’t sponsor as many events during the year with proceeds to Telethon as they did 10 or 15 years ago.

Telethon is always a big deal for Perth. It’s the one time of the year I watch 7 outside big event with a 26 hour live telethon from the PCEC for 50 years.

1 Like

The list of performers according to Telethon website:
Leo Sayer, Daryl Braithwaite (who will be inducted into ARIA Hall of Fame next month), Pseudo Echo, Samantha Jade, Dami Im, Liam Burrows, Pete Murray, Mark Vincent, Normie Rowe, Ray Burgess, Casey Barnes, Fisher and Steve Clisby.

The lineup for the 50th Anniversary is woeful :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, are telethons drawcards these days?

Given (what is arguably the most iconic & longest running) Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal barely rates, how is one in Perth (which a population less than half the size of Melbourne) meant to?

I’m not saying telethons aren’t iconic or important, they’re certainly historic in many places.

But they’ve lost the bulk of their ‘appeal’, which is a shame, people just don’t seem to create the buzz and atmosphere anymore.

I can remember when the RCH GFA was so enormous it was a sin not to get involved, especially the famous “Country Board” (Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo, etc).

Even Seven (which broadcasts arguably the two biggest) have given up on a lot of the marketing/promotion.

And I agree for a 50th Anniversary, very weak talent pool. 50% is Saturday Night AFL team + The Secret Daughter :thinking:

8 Likes

Thanks for the screencaps, but what the hack is that LIVE watermark? I hope it won’t be used on the Good Friday Appeal telecast next year.

how did one get involved with “the famous Country Board”? What does that mean?

Telethons, like breakfast TV as we’ve discussed, rate fairly poorly because people rarely watch them from start to finish, they’ll pop in and out over the course of the telecast. So averages and shares might be poor, but reach would be much higher. And telethons aren’t necessarily about the ratings but rather the amount raised at the end. And WA to their credit are very strong supporters of Telethon, usually raising more per capita than Melbourne’s Good Friday Appeal… although it does get some very generous donations from state and federal governments and a certain network chairperson.

what’s wrong with it? Seems fairly harmless

5 Likes

Like previous years, Telethon takes a break on Sunday morning at 6.30am for Weekend Sunrise, resuming at 7am.
I wonder what things we can expect during the telecast from midnight to 6.30am?

3 Likes

As TVAU pointed out, telethons are generally more about the amount of money. Both that and making the channels/networks that air them look like good corporate citizens…which may explain why Nine have launched their own local telethons in Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide in recent years.

Probably “very interesting” content which pushes the boundaries of what you can get away with on such an appeal?

2 Likes

Not having a dig at all, but it’s well documented Perth’s Telethon has a large % of its total made up of large donations from major companies / philanthropists, including a recently expired long-term deal with BHP (to give like 6 million every year for 5 years).

It is odd when you see Telethon raising more now than the Good Friday Appeal.

Despite Victoria’s population being more than double Western Australia’s & the GFA being around for 36 years longer.

Even taking out the corporate donations (which the RCH appeal receives as well) maybe Western Australians are just more generous people? :thinking:

Though it would be nice if the network chairman gave RCH the same support he gives Perth’s Telethon :wink:

5 Likes

And perhaps the same promotion and network support.

Although many are based in Melbourne anyway and a number of personalities that appear at the GFA aren’t at Telethon (e.g.) 3AW radio stars, just to name one.