Pay TV History

Sky News as well as the weather channel was IIRC

Any caps from the Optus Vision days and Sports Australia (C7 Sport)

2 Likes

Sky Racing (TAB)

That’s quite interesting.
My grandmother, who lives on the Gold Coast, had a Foxtel iQ1.5 cable version box, which originally had a satellite dish, but a few years later, had been removed and now a cable box, as BigPond Cable was on premise, (Was for Internet) and with a phone line for the telephone with a separation going through the roof to the box in the lounge room. But we always called Foxtel when ordering a movie.

From memory (and @WAtvVideos may be able to add to this) up to “Digital” the satellite service was still running on Galaxy’s Irdeto setup - in the lead-up, new smartcards were issued to both Foxtel and Austar customers

Austar stayed with Irdeto and Foxtel moved to NDS - Austar had to roll out new cards a few times (and end up linking the card to the device) to try and beat piracy (ironically, a lot of the Irdeto hacking had been done by people connected with NDS)

2 Likes

Sounds about right. All hacked or ‘gold’ cards from those days were Austar as they continued to use Irdeto, even to this day. NDS Videoguard was never hacked, but box marriage was circumvented allowing those cards to be used in 3rd party boxes and even shared to other internet connected 3rd party boxes.

None of that happens now. Probably hired the NDS techs to stop the hacking, lol.

4 Likes

Hey @WAtvVideos, can u add any of the caps from FOX8?

Speaking of that

2 Likes

Here’s highlights of Monday Night VFL match from Waverley. graphics were pretty standard across most sports from memory.

YouTube: VFA Footy.

6 Likes

AIR, which stood for Austar Interactive Radio but was available on both Foxtel and Austar, was seriously the best television-based radio player I’ve ever used.

foxtel_2007-ActiveServices.wmv -_00001
foxtel_2007-ActiveServices.wmv -_00003
foxtel_2007-ActiveServices.wmv -_00004
foxtel_2007-ActiveServices.wmv -_00005

8 Likes

Also Sky News Active:
foxtel_2007-ActiveServices.wmv -_00010

Fox Sports Active:
foxtel_2007-ActiveServices.wmv -_00012

Foxtel Gamesworld:
foxtel_2007-ActiveServices.wmv -_00007
foxtel_2007-ActiveServices.wmv -_00008
foxtel_2007-ActiveServices.wmv -_00009

Weather Channel Active:

foxtel_2007-ActiveServices.wmv -_00011

Here’s a video I made in 2007 showcasing the above services:

10 Likes

This is the earliest I could find of ESPN Football (soccer) coverage the classic pair of Derek Rae and Tommy Smyth commentating on a Italian Serie A game from 2001. Would love to see more of ESPN from this era.

2 Likes

As we know Fox Sports 2 was only introduced when Super League began in 1997 with the channel being the exclusive home of Super League (including the European SL, European because Paris St Germain were in the top flight). When the only SL season in Australia ended Fox Sports 2 ended up only transmitting on weekends from late afternoon Friday to about Sunday midnight from memory for a few months. Can’t remember when it became full 24/7 channel again.

I also recall the interesting history of the initial Fox Footy Channel. Their first live match turned out to be a practice match at North Sydney Oval in early 2002 incorporating Tony Lockett’s comeback from retirement. Turned out to be rather ambitious in terms of having a news bulletin every weekday during the season (eventually absorbed into White Line Fever, the more interactive forerunner to today’s 360), and even splitting up the live game coverage into separate Fox Footy Extra channels for each state in 2003 (done because of the rights deals outside of Victoria meant their local team was shown into their market on FTA regardless of host telecaster, and so the northern states could watch the Channel 10 game live which it wasn’t for a number of years). There was a recorded message that is sadly no longer on YouTube that basically ended the initial channel after the 2006 GF was replayed at about 7PM from the late Clinton Grybas before the slide from an earlier post was the permanent holder or nightlight.

4 Likes

I remember, when I first got into the satellite TV hobby, scanning the Foxtel satellite and seeing heaps of separate Fox Footy channels. A lot of thought was put into the operation that’s for sure. The reincarnated Fox Footy isn’t as diverse, but I think they do have state-based Footy Play and Footy Play Plus streams for local Seven matches.

4 Likes

Not any more.
Fox Footy the stream 24/7 now (Kayo ads can be different though).

Footy Play + is still on Foxtel Go, has been showing a message telling people to tune into Fox Footy since the AFLW though.

1 Like

From memory, the previous version of Fox Footy had tons of shoulder programming. Sadly all but On The Couch disappeared when the AFL rights aired on the regular Fox Sports channels instead from 2007.

3 Likes

A couple more caps. Sponsor Billboard:

foxfooty_2006-Sponsors01
foxfooty_2006-Sponsors02

Ident:

foxfooty_2006-Ident-Short.wmv -_00001

‘The Crucial Quarter’ Promo (note the WST time as it was capped from the WA feed):

foxfooty_2006-Promo-TheCrucialQuarter.wmv -_00001

4 Likes

When did the original Fox Footy start? And how long did it go for?

1 Like

2002-2006

2 Likes