Pay TV History

Promo for Ruth Cracknell hosting on the Ovation Channel , after 6 years away from ‘regular’ television

2 Likes

15/11/2009: 13th Street (now Fox Sleuth) was launched

2 Likes

Was LocalVision the channel where it was just ads?
I remember a channel on Optus Vision where it was just basic text with generic music in the background.

Also, I remember a channel on Optus Vision where you got to see all channels on 1 screen. It would show the all the channels in tiny boxes, usually arranged 5x5. The screen would the change to another page of the other channels.
The channel would also have light music playing in the background.

1 Like

Galaxy and Austar satellite had the video wall where you can see all channels on the one screen as well.

3 Likes

No it was a community channel

2 Likes

Launched by John Farnham. You’re The Voice was the first clip.

1 Like

Austar error messages from around 2000

4 Likes

Do you know Top of the Pops aired on VH1?

2 Likes

This news break may include one of the earliest stories regarding pay tv in Australia

6 Likes

an early story certainly about what would become Foxtel but stories and comment about pay TV had been circling around since the 1980s, probably even earlier, while government and industry squabbled over what form pay TV would actually take.

4 Likes

1996 ad for The Disney Channel on Optus Vision

4 Likes

Here’s a montage of Movie Extra ids from possibly 2006 or 2007:

2 Likes

SLiDE is the original series that aired on Fox8 in 2011 with only one season and 10 episodes.
Wanna know where the first episode of that show is?

I watched the movie Bad eggs last night. I noticed at the start it says that it is a Movie extra production. Was this originally a tv movie? Or was Foxtel using the Movie extra name as a movie production company?

It had a cinema run originally. You can find the budget and box office revenue online. I’d say it probably had a short run in cinemas and was on Movie Extra soon afterwards.

It’s the same way a lot of movies are funded by streaming services now. They are in cinemas for 2-4 weeks and then are on the streaming service straight after.

1 Like

Showtime and Nine cofunded films back then too, they’d invest and then get exclusive or first run rights to air them too.

Were channel ten doing it as well? Because I have an idea that Crackerjack may of been a “ten production” or coproduction.

1 Like

You’re right. Network Ten and Showtime are listed as producers of Crackerjack on IMDb.

Would have helped someone meet local content requirements too

TVC was not Optus’ version of TVSN … TVC was the initial TVSN brand … ‘TVC The Value Channel’ … there was a rebrand around 1996/7/8 ish.

1 Like