Pay TV History

MAX

1 Like

The Comedy Channel for Conan and Daily Show and old school Fox8 with all the animated shows in the afternoon/evening.

How To Channel. Loved watching Call for Help and that Canadian home restoration guy. I think it was Holmes on Homes?

1 Like

TechTV then too?

2 Likes

as a nerd Tech tv was the bomb. Call for help, the screen savers, X-play - all great shows

2 Likes

The Zone on Sky. Remember watching Jim Henson’s Creature Shop Challenge and Space Ghost: Coast to Coast on there. Lots of sci-fi and fantasy shows. Think they may have aired Doctor Who at some point too.

Foxtel Help Channel.

Serious answer is probably SBS World Movies but not the neutered FTA version.

6 Likes

Agreed, World Movies + STUDIO were both fantastic channels, but hamstrung by the fact that Foxtel, particularly towards the end of the agreement had no interest in promoting channels produced by a public broadcaster.

Where I first discovered some movies worthy of the pause and rewind functions

3 Likes

Foxtel Help Channel deserved all the Logies

3 Likes

An interesting read here. A mention of 3DTV which was simply a gimmick approximately 10 years ago

2 Likes

Oh how times haven’t changed… A gimmick 10 years ago, a (dead) gimmick today.

3 Likes

Also Holographic TV is mentioned. The technology hasn’t launched yet in 2022

1 Like

Nick at Nite was the best! Cool promos and idents, shows like Department S, Fireball XL5, the Saint, The Bob Newhart Show, Nanny and the Professor, the Mary Tyler Moore Show, Flash Gordon, Sherlock Holmes, the Adventures of Robin Hood, Stingray, Deep Sea Dick, Space 1999 among others. I was sad when this channel ended!

2 Likes

Here’s two video on Foxtel Help:

4 Likes

The flying nun

Little bit of Premier Sports NBL coverage from 1995 here.

Edit: Found the full coverage of this game

3 Likes

I don’t know why they still haven’t gotten rid of the help channel altogether. The fact that 999 basically just shows a black screen with the Foxtel address is a waste of space.

1 Like

These are from December 1995?

2 Likes

More stuff from Showtime:

2 Likes